+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got PR without work experience reference letter?

THRISHI

Star Member
Jan 27, 2016
Now I have a letter stating that the company is not in a position to grant a letter for an existing employee, hope this fits
Yes you shud be good. If possible add a letter from colleague stating your job as per reference letter.

djangoboy

May 3, 2018
Letter from colleague impossible bro as nobody is willing to sign the letter so I've got a self attested reference letter from the notary public and about 10 backups to prove my work experience.

Reactions: vuta

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
That was the first thing I tried . Unfortunately looking at the format HR immediately recognised it as a letter for PR purposes. Since it's a large organisation they are very aware of all these requests. Plus I don't know if I'll get into trouble by lying about the real objective, what if they were to find out later that I misused the letter (I.e. using it for PR and not for studies) ☹
They will know in time because IRCC verifies the letter directly with them.

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
Bro. If you cant get a letter from employer, just create one self declaration with all the required info.
like you duties, sal, doj designations held etc.

You dont have to get letter from colleague or manager.

If you cant get a reference letter from Your company on a letter head with stamp then any other letter you provide is just an alternative letter to support your claim.

So dont worry about all this. Get an affidavit with all info. and provide supporting docs, like sal slips, appraisal letters, joining letter and any other doc that speaks about your employemnt or your work activities.

Good luck.
WRONG

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
no negative impact.

No ref letter on letter head
Then Letter from colleague or Letter from manager or affidavit-self declaration = all are equal.

I provided same, only self declaration, and my friend as well.

I provided documentation I used for my H1B in my company.
My didnt provided only offer letter, appriasal letter and sal slips.

It works, if you are not from IT background then try to provide more documentation to support your duties.
No they are not equal. A letter from your manager or colleague is not equal to a letter from you however you want to sign it. In fact, a letter from you bears no value to the application.

Just because your letter was accepted it's not a rule it's because your work experience was not material to the application and could've been approved otherwise.

Last edited:

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
Your case was approved either because the experience was not material or you belong to a very narrow set of companies or organizations who's type of work is already known to IRCC and you provided a generic reference letter too showing your job title. Also, for some people it is already evident what they do as their company already has a profile published online for them such as translators or people in media. In those cases if you submit a self signed letter your PR may still be approved and you could be led to believe that it had an effect, but in reality it is no different from submitting a LOE.

So even if you know some applicants who had their PR approved this way it is not a rule that you can advice any one to follow. If you would like my advice it does more harm than good because the applicant would likely set himself up for misrepresentation if he had to reapply again with a letter from his employer or colleagues that was materially different from the letter he wrote for himself.

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
Did your application or anyone you know get rejected
There are many public cases, including for example:
Elisha v. Canada 2012 FC 520
Chadha v. Canada
2013 FC 105

To quote from the decision for Chadha:
[4] Along with his application, the Applicant submitted a Schedule 3 listing duties he performed during his work experience:

a. Reconciling and maintaining balance sheet accounts;

b. Auditing data sheets of raw material used to manufacture oil into finished product;

c. Preparing monthly payroll and daily wage reports;

d. Maintaining and following up on maintenance contracts with clients;

e. Handling accounts receivable;

f. Preparing collection analysis reports;

g. Handling cash flow and bank reconciliations;

h. Supervising annual stock audits.

[5] The Applicant also submitted letters from his previous employers: Kuwait National Lube Oil Co., Al-Sundus Gen. Trading & Cont. Est., Kuwait Oxygen & Acetylene Company, and the United Fisheries of Kuwait. These letters all spoke highly of the Applicant and confirmed his employment, but none of them discussed the duties that he performed as an employee.

[6] After receiving the 16 July 2010 letter, the Applicant heard nothing until he received a letter dated 16 March 2012 informing him that his application was not eligible for further processing.
The judge agreed with the officer in this case of course. The applicant didn't even get AOR.

This represents the best possible case scenario for what you would advice to an applicant who cannot get proper reference letter from employer or colleagues (i.e. get all letters, pay slips ..etc and then write your own duties and responsibilites). It just doesn't work.

Reactions: tobs

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017
Chadha v. Canada
2013 FC 105

The judge agreed with the officer in this case of course. The applicant didn't even get AOR.

This represents the best possible case scenario for what you would advice to an applicant who cannot get proper reference letter from employer or colleagues (i.e. get all letters, pay slips ..etc and then write your own duties and responsibilites). It just doesn't work.
You are stating cases that are from before the EE program began. Your advise of 'it just doesn't work' is as good as any of us telling that it does work. Only difference is we are talking from personal experiences while you are quoting stuff from the internet.

If you read my previous responses I have categorically mentioned the steps I took for my application while clearly stating that it's my personal experience and it's variable depending on VO, country, stream etc. All of us are here to discuss and share our experiences so others can benefit from it. That doesn't mean everyone will do exactly as someone on the forum is telling them to do. In case someone is having troubles with documentation, he is only looking at this forum for alternative solutions. That does not mean he necessarily has to abide by it.

If you read the first two responses to this post that I had put up, even those people told me it absolutely wouldn't work. You have no idea how anxious and desperate that made me. Someone advised getting the letter saying it's for education. Imagine if I had been naive to take that advise. I didn't.

With you telling that it does not work, it puts the person into a dilemma of submitting nothing than atleast submitting something where he doesn't have a choice. If you tell that the work ref letter is absolutely mandatory, someone out of desperation may try to fake it.

If you don't have a solution to provide, atleast don't discourage or respond negatively especially where maybe is an option. Thank you.

Last edited:

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
You are stating cases that are from before the EE program began. Your advise of 'it just doesn't work' is as good as any of us telling that it does work. Only difference is we are talking from personal experiences while you are quoting stuff from the internet.

If you read my previous responses I have categorically mentioned the steps I took for my application while clearly stating that it's my personal experience and it's variable depending on VO, country, stream etc. All of us are here to discuss and share our experiences so others can benefit from it. That doesn't mean everyone will do exactly as someone on the forum is telling them to do. In case someone is having troubles with documentation, he is only looking at this forum for alternative solutions. That does not mean he necessarily has to abide by it.

If you read the first two responses to this post that I had put up, even those people told me it absolutely wouldn't work. You have no idea how anxious and desperate that made me. Someone advised getting the letter saying it's for education. Imagine if I had been naive to take that advise. I didn't.

With you telling that it does not work, it puts the person into a dilemma of submitting nothing than atleast submitting something where he doesn't have a choice. If you tell that the work ref letter is absolutely mandatory, someone out of desperation may try to fake it.

If you don't have a solution to provide, atleast don't discourage or respond negatively especially where maybe is an option. Thank you.
Self declaration does not work, at least from this person's GCMS notes we can see case officer did not acknowledge self declaration which was his primary NOC and awarded him 0 fsw points. His application is pending for quite few months and does not look good from GCMS notes. Please read the post-

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/all-about-gcms-how-to-order-read-general-questions-answered.482200/page-89#post-7075825

365GoodDay

Jan 31, 2018
Chadha v. Canada
2013 FC 105

Hello,
Thanks for the post!
I got a reference letter but without job responsibilities. I am going to attach the corespondence with HR that as per the company policy they do not provide job responsibilities for the former employer. I am going to support my application with annual performance review forms which indicated my job reponsibilities with the signatures of HR and Manager on company letter head. Do you think this will work for me?? Please be noted that I need the points of this work experience.
Looking forward to hearing your advice,
Thank you

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
Hello,
Thanks for the post!
I got a reference letter but without job responsibilities. I am going to attach the corespondence with HR that as per the company policy they do not provide job responsibilities for the former employer. I am going to support my application with annual performance review forms which indicated my job reponsibilities with the signatures of HR and Manager on company letter head. Do you think this will work for me?? Please be noted that I need the points of this work experience.
Looking forward to hearing your advice,
Thank you
What is your NOC?

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
Express Entry or not it doesn't make a difference. The rules did not change because they introduced Express Entry and you still have the same rules however you want to apply to Canada. The rulings I cited do have significance because they are decisions taken directly from the Federal court in Canada regarding cases without proper reference letters. It's not "stuff from the internet".

I don't know what your profile is or what class you belong to or what your work background is to say why your case was approved. But if there is one thing I can tell you that it's not variable and does not have anything to do with which country, visa office, stream ..etc.

Sure, you can post and write about your experience it is helpful to us and others. However, you cannot assume that because it worked in your case it would work for everybody and therefore advice and encourage others to do the same. You don't know about your own circumstances the officer may have actually called or received information from your workplace confirming your stated duties and responsibilities, or there was something to that effect, you can order your GCMS and see what actually transpired in your case.

When people come to the forum they are looking for answers to their questions, which may be simple questions or things more complex. If they search the forums and find a myriad of opinions then this will only complicate matters more for them nobody is going to pick and choose especially when it concerns a very serious matter such as immigration. They want to accurately predict the outcome of their cases as to not wast time, effort, money and lost hope only to learn later they had made a mistake.

My answer remains the same. It is the answer accepted by the majority of members on this forum and is backed by precedent as shown in case law and member posts. It is also the answer that follows pure common sense as you can't expect people to try to get the letter from employers and colleagues and work hard to get this if they can simply just self declare it. I am sorry that it makes you feel anxious but my role is to only give you an honest prediction. Also, there is no need to fake or doctor a letter as there are many ways by which a person can prove his work experience, unless if they didn't have the experience to begin with.

Reactions: Gibacho and tobs