+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got Post Graduate Work Permit for 1 year instead of 3 years(Need Help)

sr1111

Mar 15, 2015
Hi All,

I received my PGWP today and I got it for 1 year. I did my masters in University of Waterloo which is a 2 year program(I completed it in 20 months). My passport is valid till 2020. I don't know why I got it for 1 year only. I have no idea what to do now. Please guide me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

sr1111

Mar 15, 2015
I called CIC twice today and both of the representatives said, the letter of program completion from the school doesn't have any information about the duration of the course and so they have issued 1 year PGWP. One of them said, I can apply for extension again with explanation, whereas the other one said I can't do anything. I am not sure how to go ahead. Guys, please help.

Thank You in advance.

Jfk20101

Oct 8, 2013
Provide a supporting letter from your institution outlining the duration of studies and the program code let's ask the dean of the faculty or the program counslor to make you a letter stamped and approved stating the above mentioned also tell him or her to make a little note on the letter saying that if they need further verification about this letter they can contact her of him she has to put her email phone fax number and sign it and give it to you. What you have to do it make a detailed letter stating that you studied for 2 years full time and in the previous application a mistake was made. CIC people are professional brother graduate degree is a bit different some institutes offer one year some offer 2 years they have made the laws a bit tough also send a copy of your official transcripts along with your application too this will also state the fact that you studied for the complete 2 years. If this helps let me know and good luck.

Jfk20101

Oct 8, 2013
I want you to read your work permit carefully and see in the case type Column of its 56(Pgwp) case type 20(tfwp) case type 57( open work permit). They go cases by cases when they are sorting applications they are separate bins for each case when we send in applications the people sort out by opening our mail sorting it by case and dumping it into the appropriate bin for the officer to check and issue it. That's how the process of sorting goes at vergiville case processing centre.

tariq11

Star Member
Aug 26, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
26 Oct-15
Med's Done....
04 Nov-15
Jfk20101 said:
What do the remarks on your work permit say does it say case type 20 replaced by case type 56?
Hey I read you comment about the case status and I have exactly same remarks on WP.

My work permit is expiring in June and i have also passed 3 three months since I have applied for Express Entry for FSW.

Please shed some light on my scenario and suggest me shud i wait for EE decision or should I go ahead and apply for an extension. And also if you can help me understand case 20 and 56 stands for.

Thanks

Nash2018

Aug 4, 2017
The best thing you can do is reapply as CIC agents do not provide enough information, you have to reapply in the the same manner just add explanation letter according to your situation and make sure you add all the documents including transcript and completion letter.

i hope this helps

all the best

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The best thing you can do is reapply as CIC agents do not provide enough information, you have to reapply in the the same manner just add explanation letter according to your situation and make sure you add all the documents including transcript and completion letter.

i hope this helps

all the best
You noticed this was a 2 year old post ?

Samirpanara86

Sep 11, 2020
Hi All,

I received my PGWP today and I got it for 1 year. I did my masters in University of Waterloo which is a 2 year program(I completed it in 20 months). My passport is valid till 2020. I don't know why I got it for 1 year only. I have no idea what to do now. Please guide me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
did you get your work permit extended later?