+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got my PGWP for less period of time than my study

Lilfoo

Star Member
Jun 18, 2012
Hello friends,

I got really bad news on Christmas Eve. I got my PGWP valid until 30 May 2013. I graduated from 1 year program in the end of August 2012. I applied for the PGWP in the middle of November 2012. I expected the PGWP to be valid at least till the end of August 2013. Now I am very disappointed and stressed. Are there people with the same situation? Is there anything I can do to get my PGWP extended? I am working right now as executive assistant and I don't know if there is an option to get a work permit with this position? I would appreciate any piece of advice and suggestions, and please share your experience. Thanks a lot!

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Lilfoo said:
Hello friends,

I got really bad news on Christmas Eve. I got my PGWP valid until 30 May 2013. I graduated from 1 year program in the end of August 2012. I applied for the PGWP in the middle of November 2012. I expected the PGWP to be valid at least till the end of August 2013. Now I am very disappointed and stressed. Are there people with the same situation? Is there anything I can do to get my PGWP extended? I am working right now as executive assistant and I don't know if there is an option to get a work permit with this position? I would appreciate any piece of advice and suggestions, and please share your experience. Thanks a lot!

1. Actually, you get PGWP for total credit hours you complete. It doesn't make any difference if you complete 8 months of credit hours in 12 months.

jsef

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
Question: I'm now doing a one-year diploma program, but I was in a two-year M.A program before, if I apply for PGWP, do they combine the years?

Lilfoo

Star Member
Jun 18, 2012
enfield said:
Hi,

1. Actually, you get PGWP for total credit hours you complete. It doesn't make any difference if you complete 8 months of credit hours in 12 months.
Hi Enfield, thank you for the quick reply. I completed full-time studies, 20 hours a week for 12 months, 2 semesters on-campus and 4 months of internship, which is considered as another semester, because it is a mandatory internship.

I had 18 credits in each of 1st and 2nd semesters and in the last semester they didn't indicate the GPA-Hrs in the final transcript. But anyway, even if they decided that I studied for 8 months, why they gave me my work permit for 6 months? 6 months it is if I count from the date they issued the PGWP. From the graduation date that would be 9 months.

Will appreciate any comments, thanks!

Lilfoo

Star Member
Jun 18, 2012
Ok, seems like I figured out what did happen. I have my passport expiring April 30, 2013, this is why I was given such a short work permit. I am expecting to get my extended passport soon and then I will try to apply again. Did anyone hear about cases like that?

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

jsef said:
Any idea as to why they don't do that? :s thanks, by the way :)

Correction: You can get a 3 year PGWP if it's a combination of 1 year Master Degree + 1 extra year of course (with in 2 years of passing 1st course)

jsef

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
enfield said:
Hi,

Correction: You can get a 3 year PGWP if it's a combination of 1 year Master Degree + 1 extra year of course (with in 2 years of passing 1st course)
It's a 2-year master's degree + 1 year graduate diploma. So would that be 3 years?

Lilfoo

Star Member
Jun 18, 2012
jsef said:
It's a 2-year master's degree + 1 year graduate diploma. So would that be 3 years?
I would think yes, because you have 2-years master's degree, it is a good base to get 3 years PGWP. I don't even think that they will consider your second diploma.