+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got my first job in Canada as a produce clerk is this a good job?

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
mrbeachman said:
No, I understood perfectly well. I was speaking about University graduates who work in these low paying jobs for many years and are unable to find degree related jobs. Hence my comment about networking in these places being pretty much useless.
Impossible to believe you owned a business and yet don't have any education on the concept of networking. Then again, wouldn't be surprising if someone tried to start a business, was an idiot, then left in anger to another country and hold ex-girlfriend resentment.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
Bargeld said:
Impossible to believe you owned a business and yet don't have any education on the concept of networking. Then again, wouldn't be surprising if someone tried to start a business, was an idiot, then left in anger to another country and hold ex-girlfriend resentment.
Not owned... still own a business that I can even successfully operate from another country (yes, I am paying taxes).

This is because I can think outside the box and not let Canadian sheep tell me what to do. I didn't need to "network" at No Frills or Dollarama to make my own living. These jobs don't let you think, let alone network, lol. So, you honestly think someone who has a cousin of a cousin will help you get a job while this very same person who you "network" (god, I love that word) has the same crappy job like you do.

People, please use your brains. Yes, in Canada (like in many third world countries) it is all about who you know. Networking at No Frills or Loblaws will not get you a better job.

You people crack me up!

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I mean, hey -- I'm not arguing a grocery job is the first step to striding over Canada like a colossus . . . For me, it did three things;

1) kept me busy and earned enough money to survive. Surviving is good, and surviving without spending savings is better.

2) Let me meet a few people, make a few friends. Don't underestimate the importance of that.

3) And that's about it, I hated it so much I applied to jobs everywhere in Canada. Man, did I hate it. It made me feel that I was earning my 'Canadianness' . . . The good job I got in the end owed nothing to the crap job.

Look, it would be stupid to argue that a crap job is a good job. But if a crap job is temporary, there can be good things about it.

Where do you live in Thailand?

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
The other weird thing about my settling in Canada -- before I landed, I got an interview with a good job in rural Manitoba; and then after I landed, the first week, I got an interview with a decent job in Saskatchewan. I didn't get either of them, which bitterly disappointed me -- and one reason I took a crummy job is that that first week convinced me that there were many jobs out there, the first two didn't work out, no big deal. Month after month after month when I applied for jobs with no feedback at all, I couldn't figure out what was going on? Why would I get two interviews my first week and nothing but sand in my face afterwards? I still don't know. If I'd gotten either of those positions, it would have made a huge difference in my life.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
on-hold said:
Where do you live in Thailand?
I am in Bangkok. I love the city life actually. My GF owns a house on Ramkhamhaeng, so this is where I am staying for now. Plenty of schools and Universities on this road, so if my business goes south I can at least get a job teaching English.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
mrbeachman said:
Not owned... still own a business that I can even successfully operate from another country (yes, I am paying taxes).

This is because I can think outside the box and not let Canadian sheep tell me what to do. I didn't need to "network" at No Frills or Dollarama to make my own living. These jobs don't let you think, let alone network, lol. So, you honestly think someone who has a cousin of a cousin will help you get a job while this very same person who you "network" (god, I love that word) has the same crappy job like you do.

People, please use your brains. Yes, in Canada (like in many third world countries) it is all about who you know. Networking at No Frills or Loblaws will not get you a better job.

You people crack me up!
Networking anywhere will get someone a better job.

I do agree with some (not you) that the concept of networking seems like a misnomer since it's simply socializing with others, and socializing is, in and of itself, and excessively simple notion using social skills we're born with, but being that it's obviously synonymous with business relationships, and since No Frills or any other store you're using as an example is a business like any other, there is no way it hurts someone, especially when they're an immigrant trying to get any job just to start, to increase business relationships, even if it's using a term that makes your poor vag sore. It's common sense that networking is attaining yourself leads toward getting a better job, the presumption that it's a waste of time assumes that someone from No Frills doesn't communicate with someone at, say, Suncor. How supply chain management alone dictates otherwise.

Right out of high school I scored a job with a very prominent video game developer just because I played the same game as him, but I was using that game to network with people in my geographical area as well. That's what started the ball rolling to inevitably become what I have now which is a very well paying job in the oil and gas industry.

The only reason you bash the concept of networking (and you really try hard to find things to be superior to, yet retreat to dat's racist like a liberal baby when someone reveals how *censored word*ing stupid it is) is very much like you bash Canada at every turn and praise some ****hole third world tourist nation. I guess one country's crap is another's treasure. Enjoy your treasure, smart people like myself only go to that area is because my wife has family throughout that region, not because that place has any cultural value. The US alone has beaches in Cali and throughout the Gulf and southern Atlantic coast that are far better with less third world sleaze.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
Bargeld said:
Enjoy your treasure, smart people like myself only go to that area is because my wife has family throughout that region, not because that place has any cultural value. The US alone has beaches in Cali and throughout the Gulf and southern Atlantic coast that are far better with less third world sleaze.
Wow.... your wife must really love you and the nice person that you are. No wonder you are spending lonely nights on forums arguing with me.

And your post is (again) so full of holes and irony that I would love to dissect it again for the world to see. Unfortunately I have to go. Maybe tomorrow.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's a good survival job but agreed that it is not very likely that his workmates will help him get a job as an engineer, however, you never know. One of them might have a relative who is an engineer, if he is lucky. However, instead of counting on luck, he should work hard at applying for better jobs to move up in the world.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For survival job, go to AB. For any specific job in your field, it depends on your field.

Rahul.Revoori

Dec 28, 2013
Hi I have finished MS in pharmacy in London. I want to migrate to canada through a student visa.My friends in Ontario do not suggest me ON province as they say it's hard to get a PR and most of them return back home.
I don't know anyone else and even my friends don't know about the other provinces. They don't suggest BC though. They say there are hardly any jobs in BC except vancouver.
Can u please tell me the province where I can get a pr easily and also the cash jobs availability.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
mrbeachman said:
Wow.... your wife must really love you and the nice person that you are. No wonder you are spending lonely nights on forums arguing with me.

And your post is (again) so full of holes and irony that I would love to dissect it again for the world to see. Unfortunately I have to go. Maybe tomorrow.
I'm so mean my wife is excitedly planning things with our family for decades in advance. Boo hoo. :D

Guy who not only does the same about being on a forum in the evening time, but even worse, is on a forum for immigrating to a country he supposedly doesn't even live in anymore, endlessly *censored word*ing like a little girl who has a sore vag about being cheated on. For someone who supposedly is having a great time in a ****hole third wor-- I mean, a beautifully amazing better country than Canada, you focus an awful lot of attention to crying in a hugely butthurt fashion about the Canadian immigration system and economy. You don't think we see through this? If you really are even in Thailand, you're not happy nor are you enjoying yourself. Someone who is actually enjoying themselves doesn't spend time on a forum for immigrating to a country on the other side of the planet whining endlessly about it. Think about it, miserable guy who wants other people to share in his misery.

I bet this guy tried to date a Thai girl and was canned because he wouldn't shut up about Canada. ;D

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rahul.Revoori said:
Hi I have finished MS in pharmacy in London. I want to migrate to canada through a student visa.My friends in Ontario do not suggest me ON province as they say it's hard to get a PR and most of them return back home.
I don't know anyone else and even my friends don't know about the other provinces. They don't suggest BC though. They say there are hardly any jobs in BC except vancouver.
Can u please tell me the province where I can get a pr easily and also the cash jobs availability.
Unless you are in the handful of most wanted occupations, it isn't very easy getting PR. You'd have to start by getting a job offer and a work permit in most cases. Look online, look in all provinces and be prepared for a lot of no's. If you get lucky, you find one and on that you can base your immigration. It needs to be a skilled job and after a year of working, you can apply for your PR under Canadian experience class. No matter which province.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
maxvol said:
Congratulations!! You are lucky to have got a job with foreign credentials. Wish you all the best. Any job is better than no job at all.
that job does not require credentials at all i believe....so foreign credentials are not quite relevant here.