+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got my first job in Canada as a produce clerk is this a good job?

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
newtone said:
Dont worry working as a clerk in Canada is far better than working as an Engineer in your country. Dont worry about the heavy lifting either cause health care is free. Most medical issues will b covered by the government. Having a job is better than no job
What a pessimistic post Newtone, i would say that even working as an engineer for free in canada is better than any survival job, as by gaining Canadian experience you would be able to break in - to paid professional employment.

How come you advise someone not to worry about heavy lifting as OHIP is free? What if you get a slipped disc as a result of heavy lifting - what will OHIP do for you?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
If all of his work experience is outside of Canada, then whether or not the job requires credentials is irrelevant as there is no Canadian experience there. My entire resume is from the US. So I guess technically, my credentials (work history, degrees, anything else of value) is foreign. I think that is what the poster meant.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
Alurra71 said:
If all of his work experience is outside of Canada, then whether or not the job requires credentials is irrelevant as there is no Canadian experience there. My entire resume is from the US. So I guess technically, my credentials (work history, degrees, anything else of value) is foreign. I think that is what the poster meant.
Yeah but you have to walk on eggshells and word things carefully, otherwise the PC police will flip out and arrest you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emamabd said:
What a pessimistic post Newtone, i would say that even working as an engineer for free in canada is better than any survival job, as by gaining Canadian experience you would be able to break in - to paid professional employment.

How come you advise someone not to worry about heavy lifting as OHIP is free? What if you get a slipped disc as a result of heavy lifting - what will OHIP do for you?
I think newtone was probably being sarcastic. Maybe the original poster is trolling too. Does an engineer really have to ask if a produce clerk is a good job? Besides, it seems that he only registered on the forum to post this one post and hasn't logged in since.

In any case, we who want to immigrate to Canada do what we have to. If somebody is happy as an engineer in his home country, then there is no reason to immigrate anywhere. If he is unhappy, maybe not with his job but with the stability in his country and the opportunities for his children, maybe he will immigrate anyway, even if he has to work as a produce clerk for some time as he gets settled.

As for heavy lifting, if you have to lift something, do it the right way, ask for help if you need. If you get injured on the job, you get workmens' comp.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Leon said:
I think newtone was probably being sarcastic. Maybe the original poster is trolling too. Does an engineer really have to ask if a produce clerk is a good job? Besides, it seems that he only registered on the forum to post this one post and hasn't logged in since.

In any case, we who want to immigrate to Canada do what we have to. If somebody is happy as an engineer in his home country, then there is no reason to immigrate anywhere. If he is unhappy, maybe not with his job but with the stability in his country and the opportunities for his children, maybe he will immigrate anyway, even if he has to work as a produce clerk for some time as he gets settled.

As for heavy lifting, if you have to lift something, do it the right way, ask for help if you need. If you get injured on the job, you get workmens' comp.
very true, thanks Leon :)

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emamabd said:

Firstly I have yet meet an Engineer who is working in Canada as an Engineer for free. So lets not talk about something which is practically impossible. Secondly, heavy lifting can result in many different type of injuries why are you only making reference to slip disc? OHIP will cover many things other countries dont, so dont be so pessimistic.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:

I think you are taking things out of context here, and also missed the point. The OP is in Canada, if he was happy as an Engineer back home he would not need to come here as you said. But the truth is he is here therefore according to your logic he was unhappy back home. There is too much uncertainity in your statement and you are assuming the OP has children. Most of the clerican jobs are part time jobs with limited or no benefits at all. We are not even sure if the OP is working in a mom and pop store or a large franchise so we really cannot assume if workmans comp will cover any injuries

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
newtone said:
Firstly I have yet meet an Engineer who is working in Canada as an Engineer for free. So lets not talk about something which is practically impossible.
well, internship opportunities exist for internationally educated professionals (non-paid) - with the aim of helping newcomers gain canadian experience.

Thats what i was referring to ;)

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
newtone said:
Secondly, heavy lifting can result in many different type of injuries why are you only making reference to slip disc? OHIP will cover many things other countries dont, so dont be so pessimistic.
I am yet to meet a person who did recover fully after getting a slip disc and is able to do a heavy lifting job again. I'm not talking about OHIP coverage - i'm referring to the medical condition itself, its irreversible - up to my knowledge (and from the experience of people i know).

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
emamabd said:
I am yet to meet a person who did recover fully after getting a slip disc and is able to do a heavy lifting job again. I'm not talking about OHIP coverage - i'm referring to the medical condition itself, its irreversible - up to my knowledge (and from the experience of people i know).
Depends on if it slipped and ruptured. If it ruptured, then it can be removed with the vertebrae being fused in that area. Yes, you loose a disc, but with proper physical therapy you are back to 'new' in a relatively short time span so to say you never recover from it, well that is false. You can and will recover from both injuries if you continue doing the physical therapy for the prescribed time and continue following the doctors orders to complete you healing.

I know, I'm speaking from experience to both injuries and I shovelled out my driveway yesterday with no more discomfort than anyone else bent over a shovel for a few hours LOL

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
johnmax187 said:
I recently immigrated to Canada a PR.I have a diploma in electrical engineering, but I have to get it accessed first and need some income initially before i go into to college.I applied and got a job as a produce clerk is this a good job?Anyone that has done it before can give me some tips please.I am little nervous if it involves alot of heavy lifting.
Congratulations!!!!

While the job may not be in your field or one that you ever expected to do--it is a job, nonetheless. Just remember, along with your educational credentials one of the biggest requirements is Canadian experience. This does not only have to be experience in your field of work but any experience in the workplace. Your future employers will be looking at this to see if you were able to sucessfully integrate yourself in the Canadian workforce. So, kudos to you for having the strength of character to do what needs to be done. This will pay off huge dividends for you in terms of future employment opportunities.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
txboyscout said:
Congratulations!!!!

While the job may not be in your field or one that you ever expected to do--it is a job, nonetheless. Just remember, along with your educational credentials one of the biggest requirements is Canadian experience. This does not only have to be experience in your field of work but any experience in the workplace. Your future employers will be looking at this to see if you were able to sucessfully integrate yourself in the Canadian workforce. So, kudos to you for having the strength of character to do what needs to be done. This will pay off huge dividends for you in terms of future employment opportunities.
Where to start.....

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Well for a Newbie making a first Post, this thread took off. Lol. I went back to read the poster's solitary message (yes strange that he hasn't made further comments) and read that he has a diploma in electrical engineering and anticipates obtaining further education. It doesn't sound as if he has given up his professional career - he is a struggling student trying to put away some savings before school starts.
I think this thread has probably been done to death and we can wish him luck in all his pursuits in Canada.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Well perhaps not a completely dead issue. I was in a large grocery store today in the produce section. I saw a fellow I presumed was quite new to Canada and said hello to him. Explained Visa Forum and the topic of discussion about working in this area. He said it was a good job but you have to be fit and energetic. Weights to lift 25kg. Had such a nice chat with Dante from Philippines. All because of this thread. Have a good week everyone.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Alurra71 said:
Depends on if it slipped and ruptured. If it ruptured, then it can be removed with the vertebrae being fused in that area. Yes, you loose a disc, but with proper physical therapy you are back to 'new' in a relatively short time span so to say you never recover from it, well that is false. You can and will recover from both injuries if you continue doing the physical therapy for the prescribed time and continue following the doctors orders to complete you healing.

I know, I'm speaking from experience to both injuries and I shovelled out my driveway yesterday with no more discomfort than anyone else bent over a shovel for a few hours LOL
thanks for sharing your own experience, i'm happy to hear that recovery is possible :)