+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got my COPR but what to do now?

Jan 9, 2013
Hi there,

I've found this forum very helpful for information about immigration to canada. I'd really appreciate if someone could help me with my questions.

My husband is canadian and sponsored me and our two dependents to move and live to Canada. I'm German and I've startet the immigration process at April 27th,2012 when I had my medical check. Due to different circumstances we could send in the whole application not before august 6th, 2012. At the end november I've received my COPR. Our two dependents (which are already canadian citizens trough birth) were'nt listed and we emailed back to the visa office if that's correct or not. (We're still waiting for the answer).
Q. Do they have to be listed although they're already Canadian Citizens?

On my COPR the expiring date says it's the same day of my medical check a year before and that the date cannot be extended.
Q. What happens if I can't make it before or at that day to land in Canada? Would we need to repeat the whole application again?

On the COPR they say, that I would need to apply for a Permanent Resident Abroad Travel Document in case I don't stay in Canada until I receive my PR card.
Q. Could there be any problems, including a denial to get these travel documents to re-enter Canada?

I'd very thankful if there's anybody out there who could answer my questions. Thank you very much in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. No - your children do not need to be listed on the corp. They are Canadian citizens.
2. If you do not land on or before the date listed on your corp, the visa becomes invalid and you have to start the process all over again from scratch.
3. You don't need a travel document since you are from a visa exempt country.

Jan 9, 2013
Dear Scylla,

thank you very much for your answer, I really appreciate that.

I still have a question concerning my last question and your answer. I understand that I have to land either before or at the valid which is april 27th. Assuming I can make it in to the country before that date and start the application process for my PR card but couldn't stay for 58 days to get the PR card and would go back to Germany to organize evereything for the moving. (My mother in law would send me my PR card to Germany, which shouldn't be a problem with UPS.)
On the COPR information they say that I would definitely need a travel document when I re-enter Canada (we've planned to do so in the summer). Could the gv deny my re-entering for any reason?

Another question that I have and could find out yet really is the following. With the family sponsorship my husband signed a contract with the Canadian gv that he would take (financial) care of the whole family within the first three years. When do the 3 years actually start? Only after moving to Canada and living there? Or do they start after I've received my PR card?

Thank you so so much for your help. ;-))

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jumpingponytail said:
...On the COPR information they say that I would definitely need a travel document when I re-enter Canada (we've planned to do so in the summer)...
Under the IRPA (Latest Immigration Act) a PR Card is a status document and is required for PRs entering Canada on a commercial carrier. However most commercial carriers only care that you can enter the destination country i.e you are visa exempt or have the right visa. As German nationals are visitor visa exempt to Canada you can board a plane back to Canada without a PR Card since the airline will assume you are a visitor if you have a return ticket...one way is more tricky. Once you arrive at the airport CBSA will confirm you hold PR and admit you. You will likely get sent to Secondary inspection for this as they have more resources and access to the relevant databases.

jumpingponytail said:
....Could the gv deny my re-entering for any reason?...
Only Canadian Citizens and Registered Indians have the absolute right of entry. Everyone else including PRs can be denied entry if inadmissible - for most PRs its because they don't meet the Residence Obligation. PRs are admitted but reported and proceedings started to revoke PR. This won't be an issue for you as a new PR you have plenty of time to meet the RO. On the other hand if they find you carrying a kilo of narcotics then......you get my drift right?

jumpingponytail said:
....Another question that I have and could find out yet really is the following. With the family sponsorship my husband signed a contract with the Canadian gv that he would take (financial) care of the whole family within the first three years. When do the 3 years actually start? Only after moving to Canada and living there? Or do they start after I've received my PR card?....
Starts from the date you are granted PR which is when you sign the COPR at the airport.