+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got my certificate BENT! What do I do?

maniacworld

Apr 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good lord. Everyone in condos and apartments has received their certificates folded inside their tiny mailboxes. Just set it aside flat and it'll be fine in a few days
i hope i dont have to regret not buying a house as yet.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
No, I'm afraid it is no longer valid. Section 142(c) of the Citizenship Act and Section 87(d)(ii) of the Passport Act clearly state that for a certificate to be valid, it must never be folded or ever have even a single crease. There used to be sections on whether specks of dust could invalidate a certificate, but it looks like those have now been removed.
I would sue Canada Post and this could potentially open up the flood gates for others! Let me know if you have any luck. Cheers Fella

Reactions: maniacworld

maniacworld

Apr 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
guys , this could be us whenever we have everything wrapped up for our cases . what would we be worrying about next/ looking forward to? exactly.

Also, anyone could be shitting bricks if something like that happens after months of wait for oath /certificate or passport.

MrChazz

May 4, 2021
guys , this could be us whenever we have everything wrapped up for our cases . what would we be worrying about next/ looking forward to? exactly.

Also, anyone could be shitting bricks if something like that happens after months of wait for oath /certificate or passport.
Exactly. Now I am having a nightmare about creases on my nice certificate! Terrible stuff. :)

maniacworld

Apr 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you twin of the guy complaining? You seem to think in a manner very similar to his. :)
Says the guy whos asking to contact MP before suing Canada post? sure :D
"So, don't take this lightly, bro. However, before spending money on suing, I suggest that you first get your MP involved. Maybe they can get you a new certificate (unfolded) and an apology"

MrChazz

May 4, 2021
Says the guy whos asking to contact MP before suing Canada post? sure :D
"So, don't take this lightly, bro. However, before spending money on suing, I suggest that you first get your MP involved. Maybe they can get you a new certificate (unfolded) and an apology"
I see that you are definitely the guy's twin!

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Ignoring the rest of the commentary - you should be perfectly fine. If at all possible, I would recommend going in person to apply for the passport, if for no other reason than, should they have questions, you can answer them quickly (and have a quicker turnaround time on the passport, itself.) I haven't heard or read of a crease invalidating any certificates, stickers on envelopes notwithstanding.

Good luck.
Hi chs, in their website they say you need a proof of travel in less than 25 business days to apply for in-person application for the passport, otherwise mail your application. Was this the case when you applied, or this is a new requirement?

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
Hi chs, in their website they say you need a proof of travel in less than 25 business days to apply for in-person application for the passport, otherwise mail your application. Was this the case when you applied, or this is a new requirement?
I was very fortunate in that I simply did a walk-in; this was before Omicron. I think they introduced that travel requirement sometime in early January as someone else mentioned doing a walk-in in early Jan and it worked. That said, someone else said that, after the application is received at the passport office, the printing happens pretty fast and the mail is.. well.. the mail. :/

Passport hack (maybe?): You couuuuuuuuuld buy a fully refundable plane ticket, use that to justify getting an in-person appointment and work that angle and then get the refund once your appointment is done. Probably not ethical, but would likely work.

Reactions: CaBeaver

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I was very fortunate in that I simply did a walk-in; this was before Omicron. I think they introduced that travel requirement sometime in early January as someone else mentioned doing a walk-in in early Jan and it worked. That said, someone else said that, after the application is received at the passport office, the printing happens pretty fast and the mail is.. well.. the mail. :/

Passport hack (maybe?): You couuuuuuuuuld buy a fully refundable plane ticket, use that to justify getting an in-person appointment and work that angle and then get the refund once your appointment is done. Probably not ethical, but would likely work.
I suspected that this requirement has changed due to Omicron. I am not in a hurry, I will call them and if they want me to mail it I will mail it. I will use express mail to make sure they receive the application. Thanks