+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got my certificate BENT! What do I do?

Strawberry91

Star Member
Dec 7, 2021
That’s what happens when they use the cheapest delivery in Canada! In order for the certificate to fit in the mailbox, seems like the postman folded it. So is it invalid right now? Anybody else got their certificate folded?? Can I apply passport with a folded certificate? Thanks.

diljitdosanjh

Star Member
May 5, 2017
That’s what happens when they use the cheapest delivery in Canada! In order for the certificate to fit in the mailbox, seems like the postman folded it. So is it invalid right now? Anybody else got their certificate folded?? Can I apply passport with a folded certificate? Thanks.
Omg dude seriously?! You may have to reapply for citizenship.

MrChazz

May 4, 2021
No, I'm afraid it is no longer valid. Section 142(c) of the Citizenship Act and Section 87(d)(ii) of the Passport Act clearly state that for a certificate to be valid, it must never be folded or ever have even a single crease. There used to be sections on whether specks of dust could invalidate a certificate, but it looks like those have now been removed.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I don't think it's no longer valid because it was folded, but I heard others received it in a box to make sure it's not folded. I wonder why they don't follow this procedure across all offices. This is an important document. At least they should write "Don't fold" on the envelope. Postmen may not realize the importance of the package.

Reactions: Strawberry91

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Good lord. Everyone in condos and apartments has received their certificates folded inside their tiny mailboxes. Just set it aside flat and it'll be fine in a few days

Strawberry91

Star Member
Dec 7, 2021
I don't think it's no longer valid because it was folded, but I heard others received it in a box to make sure it's not folded. I wonder why they don't follow this procedure across all offices. This is an important document. At least they should write "Don't fold" on the envelope. Postmen may not realize the importance of the package.
There are some weird, disrespectful comments here that I will not even take it seriously and respond. Thank you so much for your response. I am gonna apply for passport and hoping this won’t give me an issue. It clearly says “DO NOT BEND” on the envelope and this issue seems like a common problem, it’s such an unnecessary headache.. I put some heavy encyclopedia on it.. Will see.

Last edited:

Strawberry91

Star Member
Dec 7, 2021
Oh they already put that “DO NOT BEND”, but a postman didn’t care. Now there is a line in the middle of the certificate from one edge to another.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Oh they already put that “DO NOT BEND”, but a postman didn’t care. Now there is a line in the middle of the certificate from one edge to another.
I wonder if you can complain to Post Canada since it says Do Not Bend on the envelop. They must be held accountable for this. At least they would know who delivered it to you, and maybe investigate.

Strawberry91

Star Member
Dec 7, 2021
I wonder if you can complain to Post Canada since it says Do Not Bend on the envelop. They must be held accountable for this. At least they would know who delivered it to you, and maybe investigate.
Yeah I am thinking of doing that too. I will probably go to Canada Post nearby soon and get info about it and make complaint. As long as I can get my passport with no issue it’s still fine though. I am just not sure 100% that passport office would accept it with that line from almost one edge to another. Other than that “line” it looks all fine though. I don’t know..

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Yeah I am thinking of doing that too. I will probably go to Canada Post nearby soon and get info about it and make complaint. As long as I can get my passport with no issue it’s still fine though. I am just not sure 100% that passport office would accept it with that line from almost one edge to another. Other than that “line” it looks all fine though. I don’t know..
Let's know how it goes when you apply for the passport