+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got married while my work permit is in process

dhinu2489

Apr 23, 2019
I have landed in an eccentric situation where my documents for work permit was submitted with marital status as single (I was single when I submitted the document to CIC - not included my fiance details as she was not my wife at that point of time).

Meanwhile during the wait time, I got married with my fiance.
I would like to bring her to Canada once I get approval for my Work Permit.

I have a couple of questions regarding my situation:

1. Do I need to update my Marital status to inform CIC that I have got married during this time, before travelling to Canada. If so, what is the procedure to update it?
2. Will it require complete re-work of my documents again from the scratch or can i travel first and then apply dependent VISA for my wife after landing in Canada.

mosor

Star Member
Jun 28, 2017
You need to update them that you got married. Call the IRCC and let them know.

Furthermore if your wife is applying for a visa to come here, she should say she got married. Lastly if you’re in a NOC code 0 A B job and you are looking to get your wife a spousal work permit, she should write to the consulate and say so. Make sure she tells that to the officer on entry too.

Failure to do that can allow the officer write a report for misrepresentation if she also applies for a work permit for withholding information. That’s a 5 year exclusion.

dhinu2489

Apr 23, 2019
You need to update them that you got married. Call the IRCC and let them know.

Furthermore if your wife is applying for a visa to come here, she should say she got married. Lastly if you’re in a NOC code 0 A B job and you are looking to get your wife a spousal work permit, she should write to the consulate and say so. Make sure she tells that to the officer on entry too.

Failure to do that can allow the officer write a report for misrepresentation if she also applies for a work permit for withholding information. That’s a 5 year exclusion.
Thanks for the clear explanation.

Is it enough if I call them and mention that my marital status has changed or should I submit any supporting documents for my marriage (I have applied for my marriage certificate but didn't received it yet)?
Also, will it result in complete re-work of my application or cause any further delays in travelling to Canada (my employer is expecting me to join ASAP once I get the stamped VISA)

Note: I am not planning to take my wife with me on my initial travel. I would like to sponsor her for the open work permit once i reach Canada and then she can come here after few months once her work permit is approved by IRCC.

mosor

Star Member
Jun 28, 2017
Thanks for the clear explanation.

Is it enough if I call them and mention that my marital status has changed or should I submit any supporting documents for my marriage (I have applied for my marriage certificate but didn't received it yet)?
Also, will it result in complete re-work of my application or cause any further delays in travelling to Canada (my employer is expecting me to join ASAP once I get the stamped VISA)

Note: I am not planning to take my wife with me on my initial travel. I would like to sponsor her for the open work permit once i reach Canada and then she can come here after few months once her work permit is approved by IRCC.

Just call them and tell them to update your GCMS file. If you need to do something additional, they will tell you on the phone. It’s shouldn’t affect the work permit processing time. You have zero risk here.

If you applied for a Canadian visa before you got married and received the visa after you got married, you should contact the consulate too to update your info. Same goes for your wife. She better have on her visa application her intention to work on a spousal open permit, if that’s what she intends to do.

Rubie010219

Nov 22, 2019
Hello, I'm in the same situation right now. Just want to know what are the actions you take for that situation you have before?

Neyafaz

Star Member
May 23, 2021
Hello I'm in the same situation what did you do? We are planning to get married after my passport request.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
hello....I am in the same situation....please guide...
The procedure after you got married was already posted above by mosor.

Just call them and tell them to update your GCMS file. If you need to do something additional, they will tell you on the phone. It’s shouldn’t affect the work permit processing time. You have zero risk here.

If you applied for a Canadian visa before you got married and received the visa after you got married, you should contact the consulate too to update your info. Same goes for your wife. She better have on her visa application her intention to work on a spousal open permit, if that’s what she intends to do.

Mani9999

Sep 10, 2023
I have raised withdrawal for canada visa application due to some mistake. how long will it take them to process withdrawal? can I use same payment recpt if I wanna re-apply for the same?

Armand2

Sep 17, 2023
Bonjour à toutes et à tous.
il y a dans une situation un peu similaire.
Si quelqu'un obtient d'abord son Visa comme RP et se marie quelques temps après. Sachant qu'il n'a pas déclaré un conjoint de fait durant toute sa procédure.
1- Quel risque court-il ?
2 Doit-il déclaré ce mariage avant d'arriver sur le territoire ou alors déclaré à la frontière du Canada ?
3- A quel moment précis, faut-il déclarer cette situation ?

NB : je rappelle que le Mariage est venu après l'obtention du Visa !

Merci de m'apporter des clarifications à cette situation.q

furkannyucell

Apr 9, 2024
Hello,

My fiance has an open work permit in Canada. We are going to marry in May this year in Turkey. After marriage, my surname will be added to her's because of the rules in our country. We know that we can update her passport and visa in Turkey but we don't know what we can do to upgrade her open work permit about surname change. Does she have trouble when entering to Canada? In this situation, which steps should we take? I'm really appreciate that you can help us.