+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got married after PR application was submitted

Helina93

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
Yes, so everything in my application had already been passed: Medicals/Eligibility/Security and Criminality and I had been told I was already in the final stages. So, of course, that's why adding her took so little. But since they do not have to perform any eligibility checks on your spouse it should really not take very long especially if you submit the upfront medicals.

Regarding the upfront medical exam, I think this is a key thing to avoid any delays. All you need to do is contact a panel physician and ask for this. They might tell you that they cannot do upfront medicals for PR (which was our case). So we just decided to perform an upfront for 'Worker' which is also not non-EDE (non-excessive demand exempt --> this means your spouse should get a physical exam, urine exam, chest x-rays, and blood tests (VDRL for Syphilis and Elisa for HIV)).

Their system might not show the option for PR upfront Medical, so you could do an upfront medical for Worker (which is exactly the same). This is what we did.

Since your spouse will not have a UCI, it doesn't matter. You will get a tracking sheet from the panel physician which you should scan and send to IRCC through the WebForm when you submit all the documentation. This tracking sheet will have a UMI (Unique Medical Identifier) Number, which they will then use to link to your spouse's UCI once they've created one for your spouse.
I received a response from IRCC today regarding the webform enquiry I had submitted and this is what is said:

"To add a person to your application, we invite you to complete the following forms and mail them to the Case Processing Centre in Edmonton, Alberta:
and
  • The add-on request including:
    • your client ID number/UCI,
    • a detailed letter of explanation,
    • a copy of the birth certificate, marriage certificate or proof of common-law relationship, and
    • if applicable, the proof of payment."
Did you send the additional documents to the case processing centre in Edmonton, as well? I'm quite surprised I wasn't asked for medicals and police check for my spouse. Did you submit those without it being requested from them to just speed things up?

Helina93

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
I have also noticed that most folks on here received a deadline of 7 or 15 days to submit all documents but I didn't receive anything like that. Could it be because my application hasn't progressed far enough?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I received a response from IRCC today regarding the webform enquiry I had submitted and this is what is said:

"To add a person to your application, we invite you to complete the following forms and mail them to the Case Processing Centre in Edmonton, Alberta:
and
  • The add-on request including:
    • your client ID number/UCI,
    • a detailed letter of explanation,
    • a copy of the birth certificate, marriage certificate or proof of common-law relationship, and
    • if applicable, the proof of payment."
Did you send the additional documents to the case processing centre in Edmonton, as well? I'm quite surprised I wasn't asked for medicals and police check for my spouse. Did you submit those without it being requested from them to just speed things up?
Yes, they will not request medicals or police certificates. They will request them further down the road when needed but it's in your best interest to submit everything upfront, otherwise this will just cause further delays to your application.

In my case this is what I was asked for:

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

If you are the principal applicant of a permanent residence application already in process, you could add your spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children to your application, even if they were listed as a non-accompanying dependant in the initial application.

To do so, we invite you to send your add-on request through the IRCC webform available on our website. You can attach the following forms and documents in the field reserved to that effect:
  • A new Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008) with supporting documents,
  • (If applicable) A Schedule A - Background/Declaration (IMM 5669) form,
  • (If applicable) An Additional Dependants/Declaration (IMM 0008DEP) form,
  • (If applicable) A signed Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) form,
  • A copy of the birth certificate, marriage certificate or proof of common-law relationship,
  • A copy of the family member's valid passport,
  • Police certificates for all countries where the family member over the age of 18 has lived for more than 6 months since turning 18,
  • A letter of explanation, and
  • If applicable, the proof of payment

I have highlighted those documents that were not requested to you but were requested to be. I would strongly encourage you to also submit these. Also please note that form #IMM 5406, you will need to provide one for yourself and one for your dependent.
All the other forms (IMM0008/0008DEP/5669) you only need to submit 1 filled by you as the principal applicant.

I submitted my spouse's medicals, proof of payment and upfront Medical examination.
10 days after adding her to my application my application was approved, so doing this didn't delay my application at all.

To pay the fees, visit this link for instructions (You'll need to pay: Right of Permanent Residence Fee, PR Processing Fee and Biometrics [if applicable], and then submit the receipt along with the other documentation:

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/index.asp

Last edited:

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I have also noticed that most folks on here received a deadline of 7 or 15 days to submit all documents but I didn't receive anything like that. Could it be because my application hasn't progressed far enough?
Yes, I didn't receive any deadline to submit my documents. Just try to do it asap, of course.
The only thing that was different in my case is that I was requested to submit them through the webform as opposed to directly to the case processing center directly.

Helina93

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
Yes, I didn't receive any deadline to submit my documents. Just try to do it asap, of course.
The only thing that was different in my case is that I was requested to submit them through the webform as opposed to directly to the case processing center directly.
I appreciate all of your help you have been so so helpful! We finally got my spouse’s medical done and now we’re ready to submit all the forms, police clearance ande-medical.
One question I have is how do I sign IMM 5669, IMM 5406 and IMM008? IMM5669 does not have a validate button and cannot be electronically signed in Adobe. Do I print, sign and scan it? That is my concern with all three forms and I read many places in this forum that CIC instructs to not sign and scan for electronic submissions (I am submitting everything through a web form).
What did you in your case?

I would really appreciate your help!

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I appreciate all of your help you have been so so helpful! We finally got my spouse’s medical done and now we’re ready to submit all the forms, police clearance ande-medical.
One question I have is how do I sign IMM 5669, IMM 5406 and IMM008? IMM5669 does not have a validate button and cannot be electronically signed in Adobe. Do I print, sign and scan it? That is my concern with all three forms and I read many places in this forum that CIC instructs to not sign and scan for electronic submissions (I am submitting everything through a web form).
What did you in your case?

I would really appreciate your help!
It's okay, you don't need to sign them, you're not expected to do so. You can just print your name using Adobe sign, but if not is not a big deal.

I actually have a pen on my laptop so we both signed the Explanation letter. You don't need to do so, however, I just thought it'd be a nice touch. But again you're not expected to do so. No reason to worry about it.

I'm happy to hear you'll be submitting the medical upfront, that'll for sure save you some time. Good luck with this! You'll both become PRs together

Helina93

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
It's okay, you don't need to sign them, you're not expected to do so. You can just print your name using Adobe sign, but if not is not a big deal.

I actually have a pen on my laptop so we both signed the Explanation letter. You don't need to do so, however, I just thought it'd be a nice touch. But again you're not expected to do so. No reason to worry about it.

I'm happy to hear you'll be submitting the medical upfront, that'll for sure save you some time. Good luck with this! You'll both become PRs together
i can only print my name on IMM0008, for both IMM5406 and IMM5669 I can’t enter anything in the signature field. I have just read so many people being asked to resubmit IMM5669 because they didn’t sign that I was curious to know what you had done. Also, what did you write in the letter of explanation? Should I resubmit an LOE just like I did for my initial inquiry through the web form mentioning I got married? Did you include photos from the wedding?
And yes I’m really hoping upfront medical helps speed things up!!

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
i can only print my name on IMM0008, for both IMM5406 and IMM5669 I can’t enter anything in the signature field. I have just read so many people being asked to resubmit IMM5669 because they didn’t sign that I was curious to know what you had done. Also, what did you write in the letter of explanation? Should I resubmit an LOE just like I did for my initial inquiry through the web form mentioning I got married? Did you include photos from the wedding?
And yes I’m really hoping upfront medical helps speed things up!!
No worries you don't need to sign anything, I just signed the explanation letter.

No pictures are needed, this is not an sponsorship application in which you'd have to prove the truthfulness of your relationship, here you don't.

All I said is gave general info about my wife (name, nationality, passport #, date of birth), info about the marriage (date, place, etc.), and the I explained that I was submitting the documents I was told to submit in order to add my spouse to my application. I also listed all the documents I would be uploading using various webforms (you will need at least 3 or 4), so I listed all of them so they'd know what to expect.

At the end we both signed, and that was it.

Good luck with it!

Last edited:

Helina93

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
No worries you don't need to sign anything, I just signed the explanation letter.

No pictures are needed, this is not an sponsorship application in which you'd have to prove the truthfulness of your relationship, here you don't.

All I said is gave general info about my wife (name, nationality, passport #, date of birth), info about the marriage (date, place, etc.), and the I explained that I was submitting the documents I was told to submit in order to add my spouse to my application. I also listed all the documents I would be uploading using various webforms (you will need at least 3 or 4), so I listed all of them so they'd know what to expect.

At the end we both signed, and that wost it.

Good luck with it!
Thank you so much!!

MM30

Apr 13, 2020
Hello everyone! I have a relevant inquiry. Wolfpmd3, I think our situation is similar to yours. My husband applied for the PR (stream PEQ-Quebec) in Sept 2018. In October 2019, we got married in Montreal. Right after the marriage, he contacted IRCC by phone to inform about the change of marital status and they sent him info via email on the steps he had to follow to update his status and add me as accompanying (list of required docs same as the one received by Wolfpmd3). In the meantime (Nov 2019) he was called for the medical, which was cleared in December. He received the pre-arrival services letter (although he is already in Canada) mid-January and a few days later an email by an officer asking him to send his passport (although he doesn't have to because he doesn't need an entry visa - he is from Europe). However, he hadn't updated his marital status/added me as accompanying yet, as our marriage certificate was only issued at the end of January. He updated his marital status/added me as accompanying by submitting all the forms, docs (marriage, birth, police certificates), and the payment for me at the end of February (when I managed to obtain my police certificate from my country of origin). I didn't do the upfront medical because we didn't know I could. We haven't heard back from them yet. I guess there might be delays due to Covid-19 too but we are wondering what's happening and when they should be calling me for the medical and biometrics (if I need)! The estimated completion time for his PR is July 24. What should we be expecting? Does anyone know if they are still working on such cases? I am currently on a student status in Canada (QQ) and he is on a work permit, which expires in June. Should I attempt to take an upfront medical (Covid-19 allowing of course... ). Are we missing something? Thank you in advance!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone! I have a relevant inquiry. Wolfpmd3, I think our situation is similar to yours. My husband applied for the PR (stream PEQ-Quebec) in Sept 2018. In October 2019, we got married in Montreal. Right after the marriage, he contacted IRCC by phone to inform about the change of marital status and they sent him info via email on the steps he had to follow to update his status and add me as accompanying (list of required docs same as the one received by Wolfpmd3). In the meantime (Nov 2019) he was called for the medical, which was cleared in December. He received the pre-arrival services letter (although he is already in Canada) mid-January and a few days later an email by an officer asking him to send his passport (although he doesn't have to because he doesn't need an entry visa - he is from Europe). However, he hadn't updated his marital status/added me as accompanying yet, as our marriage certificate was only issued at the end of January. He updated his marital status/added me as accompanying by submitting all the forms, docs (marriage, birth, police certificates), and the payment for me at the end of February (when I managed to obtain my police certificate from my country of origin). I didn't do the upfront medical because we didn't know I could. We haven't heard back from them yet. I guess there might be delays due to Covid-19 too but we are wondering what's happening and when they should be calling me for the medical and biometrics (if I need)! The estimated completion time for his PR is July 24. What should we be expecting? Does anyone know if they are still working on such cases? I am currently on a student status in Canada (QQ) and he is on a work permit, which expires in June. Should I attempt to take an upfront medical (Covid-19 allowing of course... ). Are we missing something? Thank you in advance!!
You will need biometrics, which are not possible to get right now due to closures. It is very difficult to get a medical done right now but you can certainly call around and try to get one done. IRCC is still processing files but everything is delayed. No one can give you an estimate on the processing.

MM30

Apr 13, 2020
You will need biometrics, which are not possible to get right now due to closures. It is very difficult to get a medical done right now but you can certainly call around and try to get one done. IRCC is still processing files but everything is delayed. No one can give you an estimate on the processing.
Many thanks for your reply canuck_in_uk! Delays are to be expected for sure but I am hoping they will be reasonable. I will try to call around and see if I can get an appointment. Is it safe to do the medical upfront? I mean, is there a chance that they won't accept it because it will be done upfront and without a request coming from them first and then ask me to redo it?
Thanks again!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Many thanks for your reply canuck_in_uk! Delays are to be expected for sure but I am hoping they will be reasonable. I will try to call around and see if I can get an appointment. Is it safe to do the medical upfront? I mean, is there a chance that they won't accept it because it will be done upfront and without a request coming from them first and then ask me to redo it?
Thanks again!
It's fine to do an upfront medical instead of waiting for a request.