Passport Req..
16 March 2010
VISA ISSUED...
24 March 2010
LANDED..........
10 April 2010
Hi all

I am really confused with this process.
I have just gotten my COPR and I am landing this coming weekend in April with my maiden last name. I understand that when I land I will have to get PR card, SIN, bank account, health card, and whatever else is necessary.

Here's the confusing part, my husband and I wants me to change my last name to his. When we got married, we figured we'll change it after the sponsorship process and PR is complete because we didn't want to confuse the application and have to change my passport which I had just renewed.

I hear that if I change last name only after SIN, health card and etc is done I can only wait till I apply for citizenship.

So I am really not sure what to do here.
How do I change my last name??
Please share your experiences or advise.
Thanks. ???

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi fruittropics,

I am really confused with this process. -- Nothing to confuse.

I have just gotten my COPR and I am landing this coming weekend in April with my maiden last name. I understand that when I land I will have to get PR card, SIN, bank account, health card, and whatever else is necessary.

You will get PR Card within 6 weeks. SIN within a week. Health care will be available after completion of 3 months.

Here's the confusing part, my husband and I wants me to change my last name to his. When we got married, we figured we'll change it after the sponsorship process and PR is complete because we didn't want to confuse the application and have to change my passport which I had just renewed.

The PR card will be processed as per the COPR, which is already in the CIC system. I suggest you ask the Immigration Officer while landing about the procedure for changing the maiden name. He will advice you the proper way and how to do it.

I hear that if I change last name only after SIN, health card and etc is done I can only wait till I apply for citizenship.

I have also the same opinion that change the name before applying for citizenship so that your Canadian passport will appear with the new name.

jalalK

Jan 11, 2010
to my knowledge you can change it anytime you want, you'll have to pay some 250 dollars as i recall

fruittropics

Feb 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14 October 2009
File Transfer...
27 October 2009
Passport Req..
16 March 2010
VISA ISSUED...
24 March 2010
LANDED..........
10 April 2010
Thanks guys.
I guess I'll just go through the entire process normally then pay for the changes later. :S