+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got CoPR and passport stamped. Planning on traveling to India via Canada

Arjun_999

Aug 21, 2018
Hi Guys,

First of all I would like to thank you all for guiding me through the process of getting my Canadian PR. I need your suggestion as I am planning to travel to India via Canada.

I am currently in USA. My Canadian one time visa is going to expire on (04-11-2019) November 4th 2019. I am planning to go to Canada on October 30th, complete the immigration process and board a flight to India the next day i.e. October 31st. I wanted to give my friend's address in Canada so that he will receive my PR card and I can collect from him later.

Please let me know:
1) Does my plan work?
2) If I need to carry anymore documents with me other than my Passport, CoPR, Proof of funds?
3) Can I go to USA after my vacation in India and come to Canada later?

Thank you in advance.

langoorbandar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Bay Area, USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Hi Guys,

First of all I would like to thank you all for guiding me through the process of getting my Canadian PR. I need your suggestion as I am planning to travel to India via Canada.

I am currently in USA. My Canadian one time visa is going to expire on (04-11-2019) November 4th 2019. I am planning to go to Canada on October 30th, complete the immigration process and board a flight to India the next day i.e. October 31st. I wanted to give my friend's address in Canada so that he will receive my PR card and I can collect from him later.

Please let me know:
1) Does my plan work?
--> Yes, this should work but I would give 2-3 days in between before you land as an immigrant and then take flight out from Canada. This will allow you to get your SIN as well as allow time for your PR Card application to get initiated.

2) If I need to carry anymore documents with me other than my Passport, CoPR, Proof of funds?
--> Goods to follow list in addition to what you have already listed.

--> Yes, you can enter Canada anytime using your stamped CoPR document via land border using private transport or ask your friend to send your PR Card via FedEx etc to your address in USA once you are back from India.
--> Make sure you do not try to fly to Canada or fly via Canada on your way back to USA as you will not have valid travel document to do so.

Thank you in advance.
See inline.

Arjun_999

Aug 21, 2018
See inline.
Thanks for your response. I will make sure that I stay in Canada for 2-3 days before flying out.

As I am doing a soft landing i.e. landing only to activate CoPR and get my PR card generated. I will be just carrying my laptops, phones, documents, clothes and may be some gifts to India. Do I have to mention them? As I am planning to do a formal landing for settlement after few months, I was thinking I can submit goods to follow list at that time. Please suggest :)

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Thanks for your response. I will make sure that I stay in Canada for 2-3 days before flying out.

As I am doing a soft landing i.e. landing only to activate CoPR and get my PR card generated. I will be just carrying my laptops, phones, documents, clothes and may be some gifts to India. Do I have to mention them? As I am planning to do a formal landing for settlement after few months, I was thinking I can submit goods to follow list at that time. Please suggest :)
You don't have to stay 2-3 days, it is just a suggestion.

You only need to list things that will stay in Canada, so nothing on this trip. Goods to follow list is for things that you will bring in future.

langoorbandar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Bay Area, USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa

Yes, you can process your Goods to Follow list at a later time when you actually move by using settler option. Even I'm planning to do the same but based on what others have said, its much easier to deal with it during first landing itself (soft landing) if possible. In my case, I had it ready but CBSA refused to process it because they knew I was there only for a day so they advised me to process it during actual move.

usha22

Aug 26, 2019
Hi Guys,

Please let me know:
1) Does my plan work?

Thank you in advance.

Congratulations....

May I know your application processing time? When did you submit the application and when did it get approved?