+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

got canadian passport, now what to do with the indian one?

walter_white

Aug 30, 2019
hi @delray55 and @chanakyashah - i still haven't gotten my passport surrender confirmation back from BLS. but now i have a trip planned to india in the next few weeks.

can i apply for oci once i get back?
This is tricky. If you enter India using your Indian passport, the immigration authorities probably will flag you if you try to leave using your Canadian passport. And you won't have a Canadian visa or pr card either to board a plane with Indian passport.

Yourname

Star Member
Mar 17, 2014
This is tricky. If you enter India using your Indian passport, the immigration authorities probably will flag you if you try to leave using your Canadian passport. And you won't have a Canadian visa or pr card either to board a plane with Indian passport.
hello mr. white!
no i mean i have my canadian passport and when traveling, i'd use the canadian passport to enter and leave - im just curious if its ok if i apply for oci after i return? (OR apply now fully knowing i wont have it by the time i go to india)

walter_white

Aug 30, 2019
hello mr. white!
no i mean i have my canadian passport and when traveling, i'd use the canadian passport to enter and leave - im just curious if its ok if i apply for oci after i return? (OR apply now fully knowing i wont have it by the time i go to india)
Oh absolutely, yes you can do that. Just that you will need an entry/visitor visa for India before you travel.

Reactions: Yourname

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
my ticket is for dec 8
Where are you located? You can try to get visa if you apply at BLS office in person. Earlier it was possible to get visa in 7 days, however recently they have increased official processing time.

I am really surprised at your situation though. You were told in April that you will need visa, still you planned for travel without applying for visa.

Yourname

Star Member
Mar 17, 2014
Where are you located? You can try to get visa if you apply at BLS office in person. Earlier it was possible to get visa in 7 days, however recently they have increased official processing time.

I am really surprised at your situation though. You were told in April that you will need visa, still you planned for travel without applying for visa.
lol yes; i wanted to get the OCI which would have allowed me to skip the visa situation. however, since april (yes, april) i've been getting the BLS in ottawa telling me to send them "corrections" or new documents and as a result, i do not have the surrender certificate needed to apply for OCI.

so there goes my idea of using OCI. and that's why as i decided to "screw oci, i will just get a visa" - i notice now they say 30 days processing time and e-VISA is still not re-opened.

PS: im in toronto, and they dont have any dates available for appointment (i prefer toronto location than brampton)