+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

got canadian passport, now what to do with the indian one?

Yourname

Star Member
Mar 17, 2014
so, i looked it up and there's a whole official process for "surrendering" the indian passport. apparently its a crime to hold on to it once i get a new citizenship. i'll be going through the surrender soon.

while looking into it though, i realized there's things like OCI, POI etc.
i wanted to know from the experts here, is it really important for me to get one of these once i surrender my passport? i mean i know it's not important, but im unable to find any views of people who recommend it vs not..

i dont go to india often, maybe once every 3 years if at all

ashin86

Star Member
Jun 23, 2017
Visa Office......
Ndvo
so, i looked it up and there's a whole official process for "surrendering" the indian passport. apparently its a crime to hold on to it once i get a new citizenship. i'll be going through the surrender soon.

i wanted to know from the experts here, is it really important for me to get one of these once i surrender my passport? i mean i know it's not important, but im unable to find any views of people who recommend it vs not..

Its upto u
Either u get visitor visa when ur going
Or get these oci and others for lifetime

chanakyashah

May 3, 2017
Depends on where your base is, if you are in Canada then surrender it and apply for OCI (which should take around 3-4 months). Or else go to India on the Indian passport and apply from there if you want to be in India for long. This approach might attract penalties but there are few folks who have managed to do that.

Reactions: Yourname

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
so that means i will have to explicitly apply for a visa, go to the embassy and all that stuff?
All these things (passport surrender,visa,oci )are done by a company called BLS). you can go to BLS canada website and get details on how to go about it

Yourname

Star Member
Mar 17, 2014
Depends on where your base is, if you are in Canada then surrender it and apply for OCI (which should take around 3-4 months). Or else go to India on the Indian passport and apply from there if you want to be in India for long. This approach might attract penalties but there are few folks who have managed to do that.
thanks, that seems like a logical idea! thanks again!

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017

Those who fail to surrender their Indian passport after acquiring foreign citizenship may face the following penalties. $250 penalty if passport expired after January 1, 2005 and 3 or more years have passed between naturalization date and present date.

Yourname

Star Member
Mar 17, 2014
All these things (passport surrender,visa,oci )are done by a company called BLS). you can go to BLS canada website and get details on how to go about it
im going to use your recommended company... only issue is i see so many different websites with BLS in their name, offering the same services... which one is the one you recommended?

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
im going to use your recommended company... only issue is i see so many different websites with BLS in their name, offering the same services... which one is the one you recommended?
its not my recommendation. BLS is the company appointed by Consul General of India to provide these services within canada.

https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/news_detail/?newsid=11
Please see the above link