Got Additional French points by learning french from scratch in nine months

runal17

Mar 4, 2023
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi all,
I gave the TCF exam last October. My results were-
Listening: 480(B2) , Reading:603(C2) , Speaking: 15( C1) , Writing: 14( C1)
I want to share my journey here so that it can help others who are learning currently or planning to do it to get additional 50 points for french. For half of the preparation period I was in college and doing a job in the rest of it , hence I think the methods here can be taken up by almost anyone.

So basically I learned by myself for the first three months, starting in January . In the beginning, I just used Duolingo and anki app (which has flash cards for french words), in order to be able to read and understand basic french vocabulary . Then I moved on to Inner French podcast , and watching films on Netflix so as to get hold of how the language flows ( I already learned the grammar in Duolingo , but listening allowed me to see it in action and better memorize the rules in a natural way) . The most important thing I did during this time was talk to myself , in fact there was a time when I was only thinking in french , or at least trying to.

The result was that after three months when I started to take lessons on Italki ( an app where you can book lessons with profs around the world), I was able to convey even abstract ideas. Many of my teachers thought that I already was in the low B2 range.
So I continued taking conversational lessons for the next 5 months until August , while continuing to expose myself to french media like YouTube videos , especially Emmanuel macron's speeches, who's french is immaculate . Though I never stopped listening to inner french as the podcast level also advanced along with that of mine.
For the last one month I practiced for the exam only. I took lessons with professors who knew the exam , and who pointed out my mistakes in writing and speaking , while also giving me a feel of the real speaking test. Throughout the nine months I took around 40 lessons. I also practiced writing from tcfca.com which has a lot of examples .

In the exam , like others , I found listening to be most difficult as reflected by my score. But I think that was due to the fact that I didn't practice listening in the last month before the exam . Anyways , you would be surprised to know that I got a B1 in speaking initially. I had to file a recheck and then they almost gave me a C2. I was shocked to see such a gross error but I guess in the exam I wasn't looking confident enough or maybe my accent was thick. Anyway, I hope that this post helps some future Canadians out there .

Last edited:

Kiaralopeza

Mar 1, 2023
Hi all,
I want to share my journey here so that it can help others who are learning currently or planning to do it to get additional 50 points for french. For half of the preparation period I was in college and doing a job in the rest of it , hence I think the methods here can be taken up by almost anyone.

So basically I learned by myself for the first three months, starting in January . In the beginning, I just used Duolingo and anki app (which has flash cards for french words), in order to be able to read and understand basic french vocabulary . Then I moved on to Inner French podcast , and watching films on Netflix so as to get hold of how the language flows ( I already learned the grammar in Duolingo , but listening allowed me to see it in action and better memorize the rules in a natural way) . The most important thing I did during this time was talk to myself , in fact there was a time when I was only thinking in french , or at least trying to.

The result was that after three months when I started to take lessons on Italki ( an app where you can book lessons with profs around the world), I was able to convey even abstract ideas. Many of my teachers thought that I already was in the low B2 range.
So I continued taking conversational lessons for the next 5 months until August , while continuing to expose myself to french media like YouTube videos , especially Emmanuel macron's speeches, who's french is immaculate . Though I never stopped listening to inner french as the podcast level also advanced along with that of mine.
For the last one month I practiced for the exam only. I took lessons with professors who knew the exam , and who pointed out my mistakes in writing and speaking , while also giving me a feel of the real speaking test. Throughout the nine months I took around 40 lessons. I also practiced writing from tcfca.com which has a lot of examples .

In the exam , like others , I found listening to be most difficult as reflected by my score. But I think that was due to the fact that I didn't practice listening in the last month before the exam . Anyways , you would be surprised to know that I got a B1 in speaking initially. I had to file a recheck and then they almost gave me a C2. I was shocked to see such a gross error but I guess in the exam I wasn't looking confident enough or maybe my accent was thick. Anyway, I hope that this post helps some future Canadians out there .
Hello,
I am not an Expert but I just want to say First of all Thank you for sharing your experience with learning French and taking the TCF exam! Your journey and tips can definitely be helpful for others who are studying French and preparing for the exam.

It's great to hear that you started by focusing on building your vocabulary and listening skills through resources like Duolingo, Anki, and podcasts. Exposing yourself to French media like films and speeches by Emmanuel Macron is also a great way to improve your language comprehension and get a feel for the natural flow of the language.

Speaking to yourself and practicing with teachers on Italki are both excellent ways to improve your speaking skills and gain confidence. It's also important to practice writing and familiarize yourself with the format and requirements of the exam.

It's unfortunate that you initially received a lower score than you deserved in the speaking section, but it's good that you were able to file for a recheck and ultimately receive the correct score.

Overall, your dedication and hard work paid off, and I'm sure your experience and advice will be useful for others who are studying French and preparing for the TCF exam. Congratulations on your results and good luck with your future language learning endeavors!

• Love
Reactions: mighty_soldier_1

Fay-control

Star Member
May 22, 2021
As a french speaker myself, i congratulate you for your results, even for francophones it's very hard to get that.
I personnaly got : Listening 542 (C1) , Reading 690 (C2) , Speaking 20 (C2) , Writing 17 (C1)
But in English for exemple, i got : Listening 7 (B2) , Reading 6 (B2) , Speaking 7 (C1) , Writing 6 (B2) which is like your french.

I have to say that French helped me a lot in my journey, i have Bachelor's degree and 32 years old, so i started with 2 handicaps, but the bonus points for french in the CRS has drastically boosted my application.

I recommand everyone to go that path, and again i congratulate you for your results, it's not that simple to get to that point in a short period.

• Love
Reactions: mighty_soldier_1

runal17

Mar 4, 2023
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
As a french speaker myself, i congratulate you for your results, even for francophones it's very hard to get that.
I personnaly got : Listening 542 (C1) , Reading 690 (C2) , Speaking 20 (C2) , Writing 17 (C1)
But in English for exemple, i got : Listening 7 (B2) , Reading 6 (B2) , Speaking 7 (C1) , Writing 6 (B2) which is like your french.

I have to say that French helped me a lot in my journey, i have Bachelor's degree and 32 years old, so i started with 2 handicaps, but the bonus points for french in the CRS has drastically boosted my application.

I recommand everyone to go that path, and again i congratulate you for your results, it's not that simple to get to that point in a short period.
Thank you very much . I saw that you got an invite in March and I'm happy that it all worked out for you. I also had disadvantages like you , having only one year of foreign work experience and no canadian education . So I agree that French is the key to success here.
I took IELTS too and the result is almost like your French : Reading :- 9 (C2) , Speaking :- 7.5 (C2) , Listening :- 9 (C2) , Writing:- 7 (C1) . But yeah , TCF took much more effort in comparison. I'm at 484 and hoping to get an invite soon , otherwise I may go for the Québec pathway. I wish you all the best for your application , hope all our immigration dreams come true.

Reactions: Fay-control

runal17

Mar 4, 2023
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hello,
I am not an Expert but I just want to say First of all Thank you for sharing your experience with learning French and taking the TCF exam! Your journey and tips can definitely be helpful for others who are studying French and preparing for the exam.

It's great to hear that you started by focusing on building your vocabulary and listening skills through resources like Duolingo, Anki, and podcasts. Exposing yourself to French media like films and speeches by Emmanuel Macron is also a great way to improve your language comprehension and get a feel for the natural flow of the language.

Speaking to yourself and practicing with teachers on Italki are both excellent ways to improve your speaking skills and gain confidence. It's also important to practice writing and familiarize yourself with the format and requirements of the exam.

It's unfortunate that you initially received a lower score than you deserved in the speaking section, but it's good that you were able to file for a recheck and ultimately receive the correct score.

Overall, your dedication and hard work paid off, and I'm sure your experience and advice will be useful for others who are studying French and preparing for the TCF exam. Congratulations on your results and good luck with your future language learning endeavors!
Thank you very much

Fay-control

Star Member
May 22, 2021
Thank you very much . I saw that you got an invite in March and I'm happy that it all worked out for you. I also had disadvantages like you , having only one year of foreign work experience and no canadian education . So I agree that French is the key to success here.
I took IELTS too and the result is almost like your French : Reading :- 9 (C2) , Speaking :- 7.5 (C2) , Listening :- 9 (C2) , Writing:- 7 (C1) . But yeah , TCF took much more effort in comparison. I'm at 484 and hoping to get an invite soon , otherwise I may go for the Québec pathway. I wish you all the best for your application , hope all our immigration dreams come true.
I had 484 points when i got an invite in March 29 lol.
and the CRS cut-off draw of March 23 was 484 and i didn't get it because of the tie breaking rule.
I hope you will get your invite very soon.

But i personnaly think that the points awarded in education are very unfair.
I got 484 points but if i had 1 more year of education it would've been 524.

Best of luck my friend !

lakshmi1619

May 18, 2023
Hi all,

Congratulations! Very well deserved. I should appreciate the effort you had put in to achieve this and your great commitment. I am sure you will receive the ITA soon as you had put down great effort and your hard work will pay off soon.

I would see that you have got a great IELTS score as well. Can you please let me know how exactly you prepared to achieve that and links, and documents that you followed during your IELTS preparation? Thanks