+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got a Travel Document but Can I Work in Canada with an Expired PR card?

meganpeter

Jun 21, 2013
So here's my story:I am a 22 year old college student in the United States and I received the canadian PR card in 2006, but I continued to stay in the US since then. I occasionally visit my parents in Canada, but I obviously did not meet the Canadian residency status since I was attending University in the United States. My PR card expired in 2011.

I applied for the Travel Document for Permanent residents abroad 5 months ago and I was accepted. I have a few questions:

1) What does this document prove exactly?
2) Can I work in Canada once I arrive there even if my PR card is expired? I have a SIN.
3) How long will it take to get a new PR card and can I be deported back?

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
meganpeter said:
So here's my story:I am a 22 year old college student in the United States and I received the canadian PR card in 2006, but I continued to stay in the US since then. I occasionally visit my parents in Canada, but I obviously did not meet the Canadian residency status since I was attending University in the United States. My PR card expired in 2011.

I applied for the Travel Document for Permanent residents abroad 5 months ago and I was accepted. I have a few questions:

1) What does this document prove exactly?
2) Can I work in Canada once I arrive there even if my PR card is expired? I have a SIN.
3) How long will it take to get a new PR card and can I be deported back?

1) You are allowed to return back as a permanent resident
2) yes, you can legally work as a permanent resident.
3) I think you should renew your PR card after living 2 years in Canada. Please check with seniors on this forum, if you can renew your PR card right after entering Canada or not? You can not be deported now because you are a PR.

meganpeter

Jun 21, 2013
Thanks for the advice. I initially thought the same that I should live in Canada for 2 years before applying but on the website it says I should apply for another one especially If i want to travel outside the country.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
rajmalhotra7 said:
1) You are allowed to return back as a permanent resident
2) yes, you can legally work as a permanent resident.
3) I think you should renew your PR card after living 2 years in Canada. Please check with seniors on this forum, if you can renew your PR card right after entering Canada or not? You can not be deported now because you are a PR.
Not entirely....... if the OP has been outside Canada for more than 3 years and 1 day, technically she/he no longer meets residency requirements. If s/he is reported at the border, s/he can be stripped of PR status and asked to leave Canada after a review. Also, applying to renew PR card before 2 years can trigger a residency review, which would result in stripping of the PR status. OP needs to lay low and wait until s/he has at least 2 years of residency to renew the PR card.

PR card is not necessary for a job. S/he can trade the driver's license for a Canadian one and use that as ID. Travel documents will work as well.

It's very surprising the OP got TD when outside Canada for so long...

OP, if you plan to travel outside Canada, please note each and every time you re-enter Canada, you expose yourself to the possibility of being reviewed again for not meeting residency requirements. It's not a good idea to travel outside Canada until you have met residency requirements. Studying in the USA isn't a valid reason to not meet residency requirements for a PR.

meganpeter

Jun 21, 2013
I was shocked when I got it as well. I may have been accepted since my parents resided in Canada while I was a dependent and I had to stay in the US since I got accepted into an American University.

So if i get the new PR after 2 years, can I apply for citizenship after he 3rd year?

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amikety said:
Not entirely....... if the OP has been outside Canada for more than 3 years and 1 day, technically she/he no longer meets residency requirements. If s/he is reported at the border, s/he can be stripped of PR status and asked to leave Canada after a review. Also, applying to renew PR card before 2 years can trigger a residency review, which would result in stripping of the PR status. OP needs to lay low and wait until s/he has at least 2 years of residency to renew the PR card.

PR card is not necessary for a job. S/he can trade the driver's license for a Canadian one and use that as ID. Travel documents will work as well.

It's very surprising the OP got TD when outside Canada for so long...

OP, if you plan to travel outside Canada, please note each and every time you re-enter Canada, you expose yourself to the possibility of being reviewed again for not meeting residency requirements. It's not a good idea to travel outside Canada until you have met residency requirements. Studying in the USA isn't a valid reason to not meet residency requirements for a PR.
OP has received Travel Document, so I think OP is good to travel to Canada without getting reported.

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
meganpeter said:
I was shocked when I got it as well. I may have been accepted since my parents resided in Canada while I was a dependent and I had to stay in the US since I got accepted into an American University.

So if i get the new PR after 2 years, can I apply for citizenship after he 3rd year?
yes you can apply for citizenship after living for 3 years.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
rajmalhotra7 said:
OP has received Travel Document, so I think OP is good to travel to Canada without getting reported.
All that means is whoever issued the TD didn't notice the failed residency requirements. If another CBSA agent notices, the OP can still be reported for failing to maintain residency.

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amikety said:
All that means is whoever issued the TD didn't notice the failed residency requirements. If another CBSA agent notices, the OP can still be reported for failing to maintain residency.
ohh ok.. I didn't know that. Good to know.. Thanks.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
rajmalhotra7 said:
ohh ok.. I didn't know that. Good to know.. Thanks.
The OP was a minor when her parents removed her from Canada. CIC probably gave her TD based on this reason. She will be, however, still subject to residency requirements, so IMO, it's probably best to stay out of immigration matter as much as possible until she gets her 731 days in Canada (do not leave Canada or attempt to renew PR card until you get at least 731 days within the last five years).

You're still a PR (until that status has been revoked or after you have become a citizen), even with an expired PR card, so you still have all the same rights as any other permanent residents do. It may be a bit harder to prove your PR status, but technically speaking you are still entitled to receive the same benefits other PRs are entitled to as well. I heard that you will probably have the most trouble trying to get a health card, or proving your PR status to university, but for employment, they usually only care about your SIN, so since you have that covered, it's probably fine.

Leon can probably comment more on this matter.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
asbereth said:
The OP was a minor when her parents removed her from Canada. CIC probably gave her TD based on this reason. She will be, however, still subject to residency requirements, so IMO, it's probably best to stay out of immigration matter as much as possible until she gets her 731 days in Canada (do not leave Canada or attempt to renew PR card until you get at least 731 days within the last five years).

You're still a PR (until that status has been revoked or after you have become a citizen), even with an expired PR card, so you still have all the same rights as any other permanent residents do. It may be a bit harder to prove your PR status, but technically speaking you are still entitled to receive the same benefits other PRs are entitled to as well. I heard that you will probably have the most trouble trying to get a health card, or proving your PR status to university, but for employment, they usually only care about your SIN, so since you have that covered, it's probably fine.

Leon can probably comment more on this matter.
If you go back and re-read her statements (I'm presuming it's a her with the name "meganpeters"), her parents reside in Canada, not the USA. She stayed in the USA to go to university. I had to read it a few times to make sure I got it straight because we're used to seeing it the other way.

Luckily for OP, most other government offices aren't interested in residency, so she should be able to get her healthcare and SIN without too much of an issue with her TD. Healthcare, she will need to wait 3 months for most provinces, but after that, all she needs is a utility bill or rental lease.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
amikety said:
If you go back and re-read her statements (I'm presuming it's a her with the name "meganpeters"), her parents reside in Canada, not the USA. She stayed in the USA to go to university. I had to read it a few times to make sure I got it straight because we're used to seeing it the other way.

Luckily for OP, most other government offices aren't interested in residency, so she should be able to get her healthcare and SIN without too much of an issue with her TD. Healthcare, she will need to wait 3 months for most provinces, but after that, all she needs is a utility bill or rental lease.
I see. She turned the age of majority about 4 years ago, with more than 2 years left on her PR card. I suppose if she hasn't come back to Canada since she turned 18, it would still be a valid argument, and she could argue that she is returning on the first opportunity after coming of age.

However, if she has returned several times since turning 18, then she should still hope that they won't report her at the port of entry, and if she is let into the country without getting reported, stay for 2 years (731 days; without leaving for even a single day) before attempting to renew her PR card or sponsor anybody (or deal with immigration at all).