+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got a provincial PR, but also a relocation job on another province. What should I do?

Berbarian

Feb 3, 2023
Hi,

I started a PR process through Manitoba's PNP five years ago.
Due to Covid the process was delayed, and I got my PR only now (passed the copr stage, made soft landing, and waiting for my PR card).

However, for the past year I have been working as a team manager/ software architect at a semi-famous multinational which is willing to relocate us to Canada as long as I'm in a reasonable distance from the HQ at Toronto.

What is the right course of action here? Will I be able to move to Toronto right away in order to keep my job, or should I quit and start looking for a new position at Manitoba?
Is there a possibility that my PR will be revoked if I chose to move to Toronto?

Thanks!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Due to Covid the process was delayed, and I got my PR only now (passed the copr stage, made soft landing, and waiting for my PR card).

However, for the past year I have been working as a team manager/ software architect at a semi-famous multinational which is willing to relocate us to Canada as long as I'm in a reasonable distance from the HQ at Toronto.

What is the right course of action here? Will I be able to move to Toronto right away in order to keep my job, or should I quit and start looking for a new position at Manitoba?
Is there a possibility that my PR will be revoked if I chose to move to Toronto?

Thanks!
https://www.settler.ca/english/move-out-of-province-pnp/

May not be helpful, but...

Your promise and the PNP expectations

When immigrating under a PNP program, you need to consider the following:

• Provincial authorities expect you to reside in their province and contribute to their economy.
  • You sometimes sign a Performance Agreement letter. Thus, you promise the province you intend to reside there and fulfill certain obligations. Of course, the name of the letter could be different in different provinces.
  • Sometimes, you must post a Good Faith Deposit. Of course, the deposit is a significant amount that you lose if you leave the province without fulfilling certain promises to them.

As you can see, one can conclude that there is no way out of the province. However, keep reading to get the whole picture.

Protection under the Constitution Act

Under subsection 6(2) of the Constitution Act, 1982,

Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right

(a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and
(b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.

By reading this section, you will realize that you may live and work anywhere in Canada as soon as you become a permanent resident of Canada. Of course, there is no law above the Constitution Act. In other words, no Canadian province may pass a law to prevent its residents from leaving the province. Can we then conclude you may move out of the province despite a PNP immigration? Keep reading!

Misrepresentation allegations

If you apply under PNP, but you intend to move out of the province*, you are committing misrepresentation.
Of course, if you are not familiar with the concept, read the following article:

Not every PNP immigrant who moves out of the province is misrepresenting. Sometimes, there are legitimate reasons for the decision. For example, you can’t secure a job in the province, and you have no choice but to move out to make a living. However, if the province suspects you have misrepresented, they could ask IRCC to revoke your permanent resident status. However, the burden of proof is on IRCC to show you actually misrepresented.

---

*Since you have already landed (in MB, I assume) but were, at least, already considering a move to Ontario when you landed...this may change things. Not totally sure however, so please wait for others to chime in.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Thanks!
How did you get MPNP? Were you sponsored by anyone?

Berbarian

Feb 3, 2023
I was sponsored by a community program there.

I have the following clause on my provincial nomination invite:

Congratulations! You have accepted a nomination from MB
under their Provincial Nominee Program. By accepting this nomination, you agree to abide by the requirements of this provincial program, including the intention to reside in MB