+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got a 1 year study permit but my degree is 4 years long.

casit

May 31, 2021
Lahore, Pakistan
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
AUD
I just landed in Canada a few days ago and got my study permit from the airport. The study permit expires in 2023 whereas my study visa will expire in 2026 and my passport will expire in 2031. What should I do? Can I get it amended to have a new expiration date or do I have to extend it?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I just landed in Canada a few days ago and got my study permit from the airport. The study permit expires in 2023 whereas my study visa will expire in 2026 and my passport will expire in 2031. What should I do? Can I get it amended to have a new expiration date or do I have to extend it?
Did you ask IRCC Officer who printed your permit at the airport? or you didnt read the details? i am not sure whether you can raise webform or apply to extend based on your length of study

Last edited:

casit

May 31, 2021
Lahore, Pakistan
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
AUD
Did you ask IRCC Officer who printed your permit at the airport? or you didnt read the details? i am not sure whether you can raise webform or apply to extend based on your length of study
So in my case there were too many students so they just collected all our passports and gave us the permits. I read it and went to another immigration guy I came across. At first he said that the permit is for 1 year because my visa is for 1 year. I told him that my visa was valid of 4 years, then he asked me which officer gave me the permit. I didn't know the name. He told me to follow me to his counter. Then at the counter he told me that they did that just to make sure everything is still smooth after a semester or two. He just told me to extend it a few months before it's expiry. I didn't request him any further because I wasn't sure if it's gonna make a difference.

casit

May 31, 2021
Lahore, Pakistan
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
AUD
In 2023 a month or two before expiry, apply to extend your permit. Maybe officers want to see that you remain a full-time student, and not fail any courses.
But what if it was a mistake? In that case, can we send it for amendment?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
So in my case there were too many students so they just collected all our passports and gave us the permits. I read it and went to another immigration guy I came across. At first he said that the permit is for 1 year because my visa is for 1 year. I told him that my visa was valid of 4 years, then he asked me which officer gave me the permit. I didn't know the name. He told me to follow me to his counter. Then at the counter he told me that they did that just to make sure everything is still smooth after a semester or two. He just told me to extend it a few months before it's expiry. I didn't request him any further because I wasn't sure if it's gonna make a difference.
To be honest, i dont think what the officer did was fair, but its just my opinion. It will cost you to extend, and cost another officers time to process. No wonder we have 2ml backlog with Immigration

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
But what if it was a mistake? In that case, can we send it for amendment?
You can’t prove it was. Extend your study permit in 2023. Not eligible for an amendment as stated on the IRCC site - “If the name on your valid temporary resident document matches the passport you used for entry to Canada, your immigration records will not be amended.

casit

May 31, 2021
Lahore, Pakistan
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
AUD
You can’t prove it was. Extend your study permit in 2023. Not eligible for an amendment as stated on the IRCC site - “If the name on your valid temporary resident document matches the passport you used for entry to Canada, your immigration records will not be amended.
But you're talking about changes to name only. There are other types of amendments too such as the part-time work regulations.
But I'm not sure if they amend expiration date too, I haven't read that anywhere. If they do then I might send in my study permit for amendment. The worst that can happen is they return my file.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
But you're talking about changes to name only. There are other types of amendments too such as the part-time work regulations.
But I'm not sure if they amend expiration date too, I haven't read that anywhere. If they do then I might send in my study permit for amendment. The worst that can happen is they return my file.
Go for it then but amendments are not extensions. Again maybe officers want you to show that you can pass your courses and remain full time before giving you another two year extension.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5218-request-amend-record-landing-confirmation-permanent-residence-valid-temporary-resident-documents.html

casit

May 31, 2021
Lahore, Pakistan
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
AUD
Go for it then but amendments are not extensions. Again maybe officers want you to show that you can pass your courses and remain full time before giving you another two year extension.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5218-request-amend-record-landing-confirmation-permanent-residence-valid-temporary-resident-documents.html
Are you sure that they don't amend expiration date. If there is even a little chance that they do, I'll take the chance since I'll have to extend it anyway.
If I'll have to extend it then I think I'm gonna send in the extension application after the first semester, i.e. after 4 months.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Are you sure that they don't amend expiration date. If there is even a little chance that they do, I'll take the chance since I'll have to extend it anyway.
If I'll have to extend it then I think I'm gonna send in the extension application after the first semester, i.e. after 4 months.
Again go for it but you don’t apply for an extension early. Usually done within 30 days of expiry.

Yash1995

Apr 13, 2020
I am in a very similar situation rn.. I did not get the extra 90 days on my STUDY permit and my sp expired just on the day of my course completion. I had applied for an extension of sp in January but got no response. Luckily I managed to apply for PGWP just a day before my sp expired. So I would recommend you to extend your sp atleast 120 before it expires as rn it's taking a lot of time.

casit

May 31, 2021
Lahore, Pakistan
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
AUD
I am in a very similar situation rn.. I did not get the extra 90 days on my STUDY permit and my sp expired just on the day of my course completion. I had applied for an extension of sp in January but got no response. Luckily I managed to apply for PGWP just a day before my sp expired. So I would recommend you to extend your sp atleast 120 before it expires as rn it's taking a lot of time.
And how much funds do you need to show for that, 1 year tuition fees + $10,000 or $10,000 only?