Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2014
AOR Received.
21-02-2015
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
Hi all,
a cautionary tale for the Canadian citizens returning home with 'goods to follow'.

We came back to Canada on August 17 to wait under 'dual intent', my partner's application is going through the London VO and we started that process in December 2014.

Before flying out, my partner (who had his own removals business in the UK) chose a shipping company that ONLY does overseas shipping from the UK, he has used them before.

I filled out the inventory, with the estimated values, the goods were collected and we paid for a door to door service using FedEx.

On Friday (August 28) I received an email from FedEx saying the shipment was ready to deliver; we weren't going to be in so I called them to ask for a different date. FedEx agent asks if I have paid the $500+ in taxes - I asked what for?

FedEx agent tells me the goods were marked as personal effects on the commercial invoice but not on the document that the CBSA looks at. Therefore they assumed the listed boots and shoes were all new and levied a tax bill.

FedEx agent says I have two choices:
1) pay the taxes and try and claim them back or
2) have the goods taken back to their storage in Barrie, I then have to go to the airport and clear them myself; then I have to take the documents to the Barrie office for the goods to be released. I have chosen option 2 because I don't want to fight for my money - all these boots and shoes are well worn and alone are not worth $500!

I have sent a strongly worded email to the UK shipping company and depending on how they respond will govern whether or not I name and shame them.

So... double check that the personal effects is checked off otherwise you'll get a bill to pay tax, again, on items you've owned and worn for years!

Jonesy