+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Goods to follow list

kc247

Jul 25, 2014
My husband will be doing a soft landing Dec 23 when we land in Halifax to come home for Christmas for 2 weeks. We are complying a goods to follow list but I am confused about the goods accompanying. Do we need to list what we have with us at that time even though we will be bringing it back to the US with us? (other than a few Christmas gifts).

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
My husband will be doing a soft landing Dec 23 when we land in Halifax to come home for Christmas for 2 weeks. We are complying a goods to follow list but I am confused about the goods accompanying. Do we need to list what we have with us at that time even though we will be bringing it back to the US with us? (other than a few Christmas gifts).
You should not need to do either goods accompanying or goods to follow for a 'soft landing' (by that I assume you mean he is landing only to activate the CoPR, then returning to the US). He must declare separate lists of goods accompanying and goods to follow when he finally 'lands as settler'.

Note that landing to activate a CoPR is as defined by CIC. CBSA are the guys who are concerned with 'landing as settler', which can occur either at the same time as activating the CoPR or at a later date once he has sold up. See link for reading on the subject:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_Accompanying-Canada#What_does_.22land_in_Canada.22_mean.3F

kc247

Jul 25, 2014
You should not need to do either goods accompanying or goods to follow for a 'soft landing' (by that I assume you mean he is landing only to activate the CoPR, then returning to the US). He must declare separate lists of goods accompanying and goods to follow when he finally 'lands as settler'.

Note that landing to activate a CoPR is as defined by CIC. CBSA are the guys who are concerned with 'landing as settler', which can occur either at the same time as activating the CoPR or at a later date once he has sold up. See link for reading on the subject:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_Accompanying-Canada#What_does_.22land_in_Canada.22_mean.3F
Thank you! Yes we plan on activating his CoPR when we land and we will be staying for 2 weeks and then returning to the US for a few months. I would much rather do the goods accompanying list when we officially move but I keep hearing that you could need it when you land, so I am worried if we don't have it then the immigration officer will ask for it and then not let him land?

Sun2shine

Star Member
Apr 25, 2018
Hello @kc247 and @Hurlabrick,
I am also planning to do soft landing for about a week and return back to states, and move later time with belongings.
What happened in your case? Did anyone ask for goods to follow list?
The link above is not working. Please suggest. Thanks.

Lmac4

Star Member
Jan 23, 2018
Does anyone know if there is a time limit on a "soft landing" as in a time limit to return.

For example, you activate your COPR, and is there a time when you need to come back? I know you need at least 3/5 years in Canada to keep your status, but is that it?