+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Goods to follow list now..Already a PR Card holder

rkmsnd

May 18, 2009
Hi All,

I landed in Canada last year and mentioned the custom officer that I am pushing for a transfer to my company in Canada and shall move once i get transferred. That time I did not know about the "goods to follow list" concept at all. I got my PR cards by end of last year.

I managed to get my transfer to my canada office this year and am driving to toronto next week. My luggagge will be tranported by the movers and wife will follow once I get settled down in Toronto. I have two cars..driving my 95 corolla now and shall move my Honda Odyssey later.

I am taking my car title papers, list of items that shall follow with the movers and copy of my odyssey title papers. Would I have any problems in the Canada customs since I am getting the list of all items moving in now.

Please help..I am very much confused.

Regards,
RKM

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
You are supposed to present your goods to follow list when you land. Have you been out of Canada for a year? Maybe you can get them in under the "returning resident" provision, but then again you never actually lived in Canada. Good Question.

max101

Star Member
Sep 9, 2005
links18 said:
You are supposed to present your goods to follow list when you land. Have you been out of Canada for a year? Maybe you can get them in under the "returning resident" provision, but then again you never actually lived in Canada. Good Question.
That's right, they have both State and Provincial Tax exemptions for "New Settlers" and "Returning residents". I don't have Good to follow list but I am hoping I can import my car without paying the taxes as I have not lived in Canada before.
Ok, I like to share some new info I found with you guys. Looks like I am exempt from paying both GST and PST for my Car even though I don't have "Goods to Follow List". After Landing in 2006, I have never lived in Canada and I am returning to Canada as a new Settler.

GST:
I find that they have Tax exemption for new Settlers and Returning residents. In anycase i should qualify for one of those 2 categories
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/rc4151-eng.html
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-3-1-eng.pdf

PST for Britsh Columbia
This documents clearly states that if a new settler has previously owned the personal item prior to being resident in BC, then that item is exempt from PST when moving in.
http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_library/bulletins/sst_075.pdf

Import Duties
This should also be exempt as my VIN Number starts with a Digit indicating that this was manufactured in North-America and Duty Exempt under some NAFTA agreement.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5048-eng.html

I have sales receipt and maintenance reports showing that I have owned, physically possessed and used the vehicle before I became permanent resident.

I am going to take printout of these documents when I import my car, so I can argue against any tax. Am I good on this?

This link is also helpful
http://www.importcarcanada.com/main/index.php?page=9

dbdfoster

Jul 27, 2009
Curious on your outcome as I have pretty much the exact situation. Landed in October 2008 with goods to follow. Convinced my US employer to let me relocate to Nova Scotia, will be moving at end of August.

Is it best to import/export vehicles (2 cars) from US when we cross the border with the U-haul...or how long does that take (we have 3 kids too so time at crossing is an issue). Are we able to do vehicle import/export later after we get moved in and just come back in a few weeks?

Also, what was expected time at border for crossing briniging in a u-haul truckload of houslhold stuff...an hour or a day?

Any input on this will be helpful...we're packing and moving in a few weeks and not sure what to expect at border...i.e. do we plan on a hotel stay there or just pass through and can get to our new home the same day.

Thanks
Derrick

max_lee

May 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2008
AOR Received.
01-11-2008
IELTS Request
02-03-2009
Med's Request
29-05-2009
Med's Done....
10-06-2009
Passport Req..
02-22-1010
VISA ISSUED...
02-25-1010
LANDED..........
01-04-2010
I just wanted to check if the Goods to follow list is something of a preprinted sheet which we need to fill per set format or is it just a sheet of plain paper which we fill our details with.

Thanks

Max

jckdry

Apr 28, 2009
I landed with my car and I had to pay 204.75 CAD for it
Now they r asking me to get it inspected and modified to be approved for driving in canada
Do all have to pay 204.75 $ ?????
Please help

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jckdry said:
I landed with my car and I had to pay 204.75 CAD for it
Now they r asking me to get it inspected and modified to be approved for driving in canada
Do all have to pay 204.75 $ ?????
Please help
Yes, see www.riv.ca

PMM