+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Goods to Follow List - Moving more than one year after Landing

ExpressEntryStarr

Dec 9, 2016
Hi Everyone,
I have seen some threads about this issue but none that matches our situation exactly. We did our landing in April 2018 and couldn't relocate to Canada due to family issues as well as due to a medical condition suffered by my wife. We are now finally able to relocate permanently and have already booked our flight to travel in February 2021. We had had got the Goods to Follow List stamped by CBSA at Toronto Pearson when landing in April 2018; however, the items we would like to ship & their values have changed during this period (2018 to 2021). Hence I have the following questions:

1. Can we now obtain a revised Goods to Follow List when entering Canada in February 2021?
  2. Would we need to forfeit the earlier Goods to Follow List or amend that List now?
  3. Is the earlier Goods to Follow List valid at all considering it was stamped and dated more than a year ago?
  4. Will an attempt to amend the old list / get a new list stamped lead to issues from an RO perspective? We will be able to satisfy our RO requirement after we move in Feb 2021 and may even have some days at our disposal to travel out of Canada for short visits if needed, however, I am not sure if attempting to re-issue the Goods to Follow List may lead to questions/issues concerning RO.
Would appreciate your feedback.

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you arrive, explain the above to the CBSA officer you meet and show him the stamped and amendment. This has nothing to do with RO requirement.

NZ_ozzie

Sep 4, 2018
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
10-11-2018
Doc's Request.
11-12-2018
AOR Received.
10-11-2018
Med's Done....
11-12-2018
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2019
We plan to move soon from Australia as well...And when we did a soft landing we didn't do any list...
Now when we move permanently next year what do we need to do?

Thanks in Advance...

Reactions: msballes16

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We plan to move soon from Australia as well...And when we did a soft landing we didn't do any list...
Now when we move permanently next year what do we need to do?

Thanks in Advance...
If you are moving to Canada without bringing any belongings now or in the future, then no list need to prepare.

NZ_ozzie

Sep 4, 2018
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
10-11-2018
Doc's Request.
11-12-2018
AOR Received.
10-11-2018
Med's Done....
11-12-2018
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2019
If you are moving to Canada without bringing any belongings now or in the future, then no list need to prepare.
Nah I meant I did soft landing last year without a list for customs, now planning to move permanently and have lot of stuff...What happens at border now?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nah I meant I did soft landing last year without a list for customs, now planning to move permanently and have lot of stuff...What happens at border now?
Then you need to prepare the list.

NZ_ozzie

Sep 4, 2018
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
10-11-2018
Doc's Request.
11-12-2018
AOR Received.
10-11-2018
Med's Done....
11-12-2018
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2019

ExpressEntryStarr

Dec 9, 2016
@NZ_ozzie you should follow the process to enter Canada as a Settlor for the first time, i.e. prepare a goods carried list and a goods to follow list (2 copies). Declare both these lists to the Customs officials at your port of entry. Obtain a stamped copy of the list from the Customs officials, which will be used when your goods to follow arrive into Canada.

I received the following reply from the CBSA to my query. They did not respond in specifics, since they don't provide a response on personal or business cases. However, the response does confirm the above understanding. The underlining is mine for emphasis. Hope this helps.

"The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) “Contact Us” is available for the public to ask general questions about the programs and services offered by the CBSA. For privacy and security reasons, the CBSA does not answer e-mails regarding personal or business customs cases, immigration-related situations, or third party requests. Information is provided in a general context only.

Information, along with details on the exemptions available for settlers, is available in Memorandum D2-2-1, Settlers' Effects.

A person can become a permanent resident without the intention of residing immediately in Canada. However, this person is not determined to be a settler as defined in the customs legislation. In this case, since the person does not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time, that person is considered a non-resident of Canada and not a settler.

Prior to importation, settlers must prepare a detailed list in duplicate of all goods to be imported, showing the make, model, serial numbers (where possible), and approximate value of each item. For general household items, a group listing and overall value is sufficient (e.g., kitchen utensils –$000). The list should be divided into two parts, showing which items are accompanying the owner at the time of arrival and which items are to arrive at a later date as "goods to follow." This list must be presented to the border services officer when the settler first arrives in Canada, even if no goods are being imported at that time.

Thank you,"

Reactions: NZ_ozzie

NZ_ozzie

Sep 4, 2018
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
10-11-2018
Doc's Request.
11-12-2018
AOR Received.
10-11-2018
Med's Done....
11-12-2018
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2019
@NZ_ozzie you should follow the process to enter Canada as a Settlor for the first time, i.e. prepare a goods carried list and a goods to follow list (2 copies). Declare both these lists to the Customs officials at your port of entry. Obtain a stamped copy of the list from the Customs officials, which will be used when your goods to follow arrive into Canada.
Thanks a lot for confirming it for me.

Vishal A

Apr 9, 2016
I am also moving to Canada after more than a year of doing soft landing. I have a list of goods to follow which would be sent to Canada through Cargo. I would appreciate if forum members share their experience for Goods to Follow list including the precious jewelry.
Thank you

ExpressEntryStarr

Dec 9, 2016
Making this entry here to help others who may have the same question in the future. We have travelled to Canada and moved here permanently recently. I did make a revised Goods to Follow List and explained the situation at the airport. The revised Goods to Follow List was accepted.

sb17

May 29, 2019
Making this entry here to help others who may have the same question in the future. We have travelled to Canada and moved here permanently recently. I did make a revised Goods to Follow List and explained the situation at the airport. The revised Goods to Follow List was accepted.
In my case, I will be doing a short landing for only few days and then moving permanently within a few months. Can you please tell me if its mandatory for me to give my good to follow list during my short landing or can I give it later? Thanks in advance!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In my case, I will be doing a short landing for only few days and then moving permanently within a few months. Can you please tell me if its mandatory for me to give my good to follow list during my short landing or can I give it later? Thanks in advance!
Give it later.