+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Goods to Follow example

avb519

Mar 29, 2006
Dear forum members,

I will be landing at Niagara Falls with my family at the end of February and coming back to the US after two days. I need advice on how I should prepare the list of goods to follow. How detailed does it need to be? Any links to this info welcome.

Thanks.

mikee

Feb 1, 2007
Well, it all depends, what;s your goals there, I mean why you are going there, is this a recreational trip, holiday's or some business? you can select the things accordingly

avb519

Mar 29, 2006
The goal is to land and do the paperwork to the PR card. We'll be permanently moving to Canada later in the year when I settle all things in the US - sell the house, etc.

I heard that you need to have a list of goods to follow so that you don't have to pay tax on them when you import them in Canada later. That's why I was hoping to get some info on how to do the list and what to include.

Many thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

avb519 said:
The goal is to land and do the paperwork to the PR card. We'll be permanently moving to Canada later in the year when I settle all things in the US - sell the house, etc.

I heard that you need to have a list of goods to follow so that you don't have to pay tax on them when you import them in Canada later. That's why I was hoping to get some info on how to do the list and what to include.

Many thanks!
You do 2 lists, a goods to follow B4 & B4a and another goods B4 & B4a for goods to accompany. You include all the goods that you intend to bring to Canada. Electronics/Cameras should be listed with their serial numbers, Jewellry should a photo and valuation if expensive and in the goods to follow list. Other stuff such as clothing would be listed as xx boxes used clothing nil value, xx boxes housewares $xx. See: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu/AFAF_B-e.html

PMM

avb519

Mar 29, 2006
PMM, thanks for your response. Just to clarify a few things - clothing, furniture, general houseware should have a $0 value on the form. Right? How do I go about determining value for my car, computers, camera, power tools and all other electronics? All are used.

Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

avb519 said:
PMM, thanks for your response. Just to clarify a few things - clothing, furniture, general houseware should have a $0 value on the form. Right? How do I go about determining value for my car, computers, camera, power tools and all other electronics? All are used.

Thanks!
Go to Craig list for values other stuff put a minimal value.

PMM

oshoexport

Feb 3, 2007
avb519 said:
Dear forum members,

I will be landing at Niagara Falls with my family at the end of February and coming back to the US after two days. I need advice on how I should prepare the list of goods to follow. How detailed does it need to be? Any links to this info welcome.

Thanks.

Please see the link bellow :

http://modena.intergate.ca/personal/rajanr/Van_File/List_GTF.html

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pbg/cf/b4/b4-05e.pdf

ankj

Sep 27, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey

I am planning to declare a vehicle (which I will purchase later from US). I have few questions around this.

1) Can I do this? I have never been to US (just got my Visitor Visa to US).
2) Does the car really has to be less than 10,000?

Please suggest.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ankj said:
Hey

I am planning to declare a vehicle (which I will purchase later from US). I have few questions around this.

1) Can I do this? I have never been to US (just got my Visitor Visa to US).
2) Does the car really has to be less than 10,000?

Please suggest.
The vehicle has to be owned and used before you become a PR if you wish to import it as goods to follow and not pay taxes and duty. The $10K is for returning Canadian citizens, abroad for more than 1 year. You need to export the car from the US. http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/export_docs/motor_vehicle.xml and import it into Canada www.riv.ca

ankj

Sep 27, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry I was not clear in my question.

I got my passport stampped, soon I am planning to do my landing. I was thinking of declaring a car in "Good to Follow" Form, which I will buy from US later.

Can I do this? I have never been to US (just got my Visitor Visa to US).

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ankj said:
Sorry I was not clear in my question.

I got my passport stampped, soon I am planning to do my landing. I was thinking of declaring a car in "Good to Follow" Form, which I will buy from US later.

Can I do this? I have never been to US (just got my Visitor Visa to US).
If asked, you have to prove that you have been using this car for at least six months before you become PR. I'm not sure how you are going to prove it if you have never been to US.