+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Goods to follow - do I need a broker?

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My shipping company is asking me if they need to provide me with a broker in Canada or if I already have one. My question is - do I need one? My goods to follow list is stamped and I have all documents. What else do I need?

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, I have a shipping agent back home who is sorting out the pick-up of my stuff and clearing it through customs to leave on a boat next week.

I have no clue what I need to do when it arrives here.

How did you know your stuff had arrived and what did you have to do to collect them?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My relocation company operates in many countries in the world. The shipping agent sorted out the pick up stuff from my old home, cleared it through customs to leave on a ship and then when the goods finally reach the port of Vancouver, the local receiving agent phoned me, instructing me to make an appointment with the local CBSA office, and send me the necessary documents (such as bill of laden) for custom clearance. You can do it yourself or hire the receiving agent for custom clearance . Since I did by myself so after the clearance, I phoned the receiving agent to arrange the delivery of the goods to my new home.

Make sure you get the B4 form stamped before the goods arrival, otherwise you might have to pay duties.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
itstime said:
Well, I have a shipping agent back home who is sorting out the pick-up of my stuff and clearing it through customs to leave on a boat next week.

I have no clue what I need to do when it arrives here.

How did you know your stuff had arrived and what did you have to do to collect them?
When your container arrives at the port, your shipping company will notify you and provide you with the necessary forms for clearance. You then need to go to the customs department (in Brampton if you are in Toronto) and provide them with the completed clearance forms and a stamped copy of your "goods to follow list". They will then clear it there (without actually inspecting the container, unless they suspect something) and stamp the clearance forms. You then provide these stamped documents to your shipping company, who will deliver it to your home (assuming you had arranged for door-to-door service).

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontosm said:
When your container arrives at the port, your shipping company will notify you and provide you with the necessary forms for clearance. You then need to go to the customs department (in Brampton if you are in Toronto) and provide them with the completed clearance forms and a stamped copy of your "goods to follow list". They will then clear it there (without actually inspecting the container, unless they suspect something) and stamp the clearance forms. You then provide these stamped documents to your shipping company, who will deliver it to your home (assuming you had arranged for door-to-door service).
Thanks! Sounds like I don't need a broker/agent this end. I don't have a container. I have 3 pallets and can easily take those in a U-haul. Plenty of friends available to help too.

And yes, stuff will be coming in to Toronto.