+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Goods To Follow Changes

CanadianInWaiting

Feb 23, 2022
Yes , you need to.
I would say that they might have to but not necessarily. If they pay off the car and show the original sales receipt that it was bought two years ago, they might be exempt from paying a duty. It depends on several factors including how the agent or the officer at the border perceive it to be.

jpancholi0109

Jan 4, 2020
I would say that they might have to but not necessarily. If they pay off the car and show the original sales receipt that it was bought two years ago, they might be exempt from paying a duty. It depends on several factors including how the agent or the officer at the border perceive it to be.
so if you could answer, does the cbsa officer decide how old the car should be to not pay duties? Or there is a period set in stone? You said 2 yrs, someone else mentioned 1 yr. could you please share if any article is available on this?

CanadianInWaiting

Feb 23, 2022
I think it is at the discretion of the officer to make that determination. I don't have any references. The officers might be following some guidelines but none that I would be aware of. I also found them to be reasonable and if you are upfront with what you are returning with as a settler and the reasons why some things are not on the goods to follow list, they are understanding.

Reactions: missedTheGCBus