+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Goods To Follow Changes

despairedh1b

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hi All, I completed my soft landing in June 2020 and plan to relocate permanently close to mid / end of 2022. Per my 2020 GTF, there have been a few changes, most not under my control:

1) TV: There was a surge which ruined my TV so I had to buy a new one (Samsung --> LG)
2) Laptop: My laptop which was already a bit old stopped working and I had to get a new one (Acer --> Dell)
3) PS4 got changed to PS5 (This one's on me - I just thought anyways 1 and 2 got changed, might as well do it)
4) Car: This maybe a moot point. My car VIN which was struck off in my GTF also started having major issues so I changed it to a new 2021 car (Hyundai --> Mazda)

a) What would be the implications with my GTF? Also I read somewhere that GTF is only valid for one year (Is this correct?)
b) If I do have to pay duties, is there a website I can use to calculate approximations for the above 4 items?
c) Other plan is my girlfriend also has applied for her COPR, can she declare the above in her goods to follow?

Would highly appreciate anyone's response.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi All, I completed my soft landing in June 2020 and plan to relocate permanently close to mid / end of 2022. Per my 2020 GTF, there have been a few changes, most not under my control:

1) TV: There was a surge which ruined my TV so I had to buy a new one (Samsung --> LG)
2) Laptop: My laptop which was already a bit old stopped working and I had to get a new one (Acer --> Dell)
3) PS4 got changed to PS5 (This one's on me - I just thought anyways 1 and 2 got changed, might as well do it)
4) Car: This maybe a moot point. My car VIN which was struck off in my GTF also started having major issues so I changed it to a new 2021 car (Hyundai --> Mazda)

a) What would be the implications with my GTF? Also I read somewhere that GTF is only valid for one year (Is this correct?)
b) If I do have to pay duties, is there a website I can use to calculate approximations for the above 4 items?
c) Other plan is my girlfriend also has applied for her COPR, can she declare the above in her goods to follow?

Would highly appreciate anyone's response.
Except for the car, you are good with remaining stuff, they wouldn't literally go item by item. Its just an estimation. Do not worry about that. Regarding car i think you have to reach out to CBSA and findout with them. Its their discretion again.

Also the GTF is not valid for one year i believe. atleast in my case, i moved 16months after landing, no questions.

despairedh1b

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
Except for the car, you are good with remaining stuff, they wouldn't literally go item by item. Its just an estimation. Do not worry about that. Regarding car i think you have to reach out to CBSA and findout with them. Its their discretion again.

Also the GTF is not valid for one year i believe. atleast in my case, i moved 16months after landing, no questions.
Thank you so much this helps, yes I will get in touch for the car. In terms of before my permanent landing (since i completed soft landing already), will visiting my friends in canada cause any issues / questioning at the border?

Also, do i have to carry my GTF everytime I visit Canada before I eventually make my move?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Thank you so much this helps, yes I will get in touch for the car. In terms of before my permanent landing (since i completed soft landing already), will visiting my friends in canada cause any issues / questioning at the border?

Also, do i have to carry my GTF everytime I visit Canada before I eventually make my move?
you need not carry your GTF everytime before you move. You should be good. You can tell that you will be moving at so and so time.

With the increasing cases and more scrutiny, im not sure how easy for you to enter to visit a friend. However you will be allowed as you are a PR.

despairedh1b

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
you need not carry your GTF everytime before you move. You should be good. You can tell that you will be moving at so and so time.

With the increasing cases and more scrutiny, im not sure how easy for you to enter to visit a friend. However you will be allowed as you are a PR.
Thank you Swan - this helps. For the car, I did check, looks like I am going to have to pay duty, but it is what it is and I will do the proper import / export whenever I plan to move this year. Last question - if my landing was June 2020, how close can I cut it to June 2023? [I was thinking Oct-Dec 2022 - earlier the better ofcourse due to weather and all] - April 2023 looks to risky to me.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Thank you Swan - this helps. For the car, I did check, looks like I am going to have to pay duty, but it is what it is and I will do the proper import / export whenever I plan to move this year. Last question - if my landing was June 2020, how close can I cut it to June 2023? [I was thinking Oct-Dec 2022 - earlier the better ofcourse due to weather and all] - April 2023 looks to risky to me.
Yes, Sept or Oct 2022 should be a good time for you to move if you are moving on your own. If its movers then till 2nd week of Dec 2022 you should be good.

shersingh

Oct 5, 2017
How much is the duty? Is it a certain percentage of the car value?

ab_abd01

Aug 9, 2022
Hi. Did you move the car eventually ? Would like to know how your experience was if possible, would be of great help. Thanks !

CanadianInWaiting

Feb 23, 2022
Hi. Did you move the car eventually ? Would like to know how your experience was if possible, would be of great help. Thanks !
I'm in the process of moving in steps, cars first, then home goods. I imported a car which was not on the GTF list as my landing was almost 3 years ago and then COVID happened. The CBSA agent determined since I have had the car for over an year, it would not attract duty even though it was not on the GTF list. So, I only had to pay CAD $325 + taxes (based on form 1 that they give you at the border) to get the RIV inspection form. It was also a regular car, not a luxury brand.

Reactions: missedTheGCBus

aryastark940

Aug 25, 2022
I bought my car in the US in Feb 2020 after I soft landed so could not add it in GTF. do I have to pay any duties on it?

aryastark940

Aug 25, 2022
thanks! do you know up to what percentage? also, it is financed, do I have to make changes with my bank regarding that?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Dang, that's a bummer. Do I get any grace period after moving to Windsor to finish the export formalities?
Yes, you can do it and let them know that you have a car left to be imported while bringing in other stuff. Not sure how long is the grace period but anyhow as its not added on GTF you anyhow have to pay duties unlike any new item you bring from outside. I think you are good but make sure you do complete the import formalities within 6months of moving as you need to exchange for Canadian license within 6months.