+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Goods to Follow/Accompany - Returning Resident & CoPr

Edmegbc

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
Hi all,

I have started making inventory for GTF and GTA as its helping clear out the house and make decision on whether we ship furniture or just sell.
But I have a couple of questions on this.

I (Sponsor) am going to do a quick trip before my husbands hard landing @ YVR take our senior blind and deaf dog ahead of time and leave with my sister. (can fly with him in cabin with me into newark and again newark to seattle, the UK is really strict about dogs in cabin, hes really old, blind and i wont put him in cargo or the hold)
I am a returning resident after living in UK for 19 years. i will be flying into Seattle and my sister is driving me back up into BC through either Sumas or Peace ARch (whatever is less busy on the day) I figure since I will have the dog and will need to have paperwork for him inspected might just kill two birds and do my GTF list. Does anyone have any experience with GTF at land border?
Then I fly back to UK, get household goods sorted with shipping co and deal with the last sundries that need taking care of, then we fly back out together to YVR for his hard landing.

Should I just put EVERYTHING that is coming from household on my GTF list so he only has goods accopam. to be dealt with in YVR? Or should I just wait and do ALL together when we land? its all going to be shipped together so my assumption is that it makes sense to put it on one B186A otherwise we will have to split this and it will be complicated.

In the event his CoPR doesnt come through by the time we go (May 2024) he would be going Dual intent and waiting out CoPR in BC - so then I would correct in that I declare everyting on my own GTF ahead of time?
Timing is a bit tricky for us for a number of reasons. We NEED to be there by mid may 2024 and we did hum and haw about just going straight out and him doing inland but throught it be best to do it outland and fingers crossed we get CoPR by then. Fingers crossed current processing times keep up.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

I have started making inventory for GTF and GTA as its helping clear out the house and make decision on whether we ship furniture or just sell.
But I have a couple of questions on this.

I (Sponsor) am going to do a quick trip before my husbands hard landing @ YVR take our senior blind and deaf dog ahead of time and leave with my sister. (can fly with him in cabin with me into newark and again newark to seattle, the UK is really strict about dogs in cabin, hes really old, blind and i wont put him in cargo or the hold)
I am a returning resident after living in UK for 19 years. i will be flying into Seattle and my sister is driving me back up into BC through either Sumas or Peace ARch (whatever is less busy on the day) I figure since I will have the dog and will need to have paperwork for him inspected might just kill two birds and do my GTF list. Does anyone have any experience with GTF at land border?
Then I fly back to UK, get household goods sorted with shipping co and deal with the last sundries that need taking care of, then we fly back out together to YVR for his hard landing.

Should I just put EVERYTHING that is coming from household on my GTF list so he only has goods accopam. to be dealt with in YVR? Or should I just wait and do ALL together when we land? its all going to be shipped together so my assumption is that it makes sense to put it on one B186A otherwise we will have to split this and it will be complicated.

In the event his CoPR doesnt come through by the time we go (May 2024) he would be going Dual intent and waiting out CoPR in BC - so then I would correct in that I declare everyting on my own GTF ahead of time?
Timing is a bit tricky for us for a number of reasons. We NEED to be there by mid may 2024 and we did hum and haw about just going straight out and him doing inland but throught it be best to do it outland and fingers crossed we get CoPR by then. Fingers crossed current processing times keep up.
1) Why not take the dog to YVR from EWR/JFK or directly from LHR? Why need to land in Seattle and the land border?
2) I don't have experience at land border, in your case, when GTF is show at the land border, it would be stamped there. So when you land YVR, show the stamped GTF to the customs.
3) If his COPR doesn't come through in May 2024, then yes.

Edmegbc

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
Thanks for reply - dog situation is dicated by carrier size and unfortunately Air Canada makes this complicated out of LHR due to aircraft used for this route, BA wont take him in hold as hes a pug mix. Alaska has the friendliest in cabin pet policy in North America and Im booking with La Compagnie out of Paris to EWR. Lots of homework on this aspect of our move tbh!

thanks makes sense now gtf goes in my name either way. It’s all going in one shipment so doing it across 2 lists is probably more headaches than necessary for customs