+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Good Lawyer for Spousal Sponsorship in Toronto Area

disney

Mar 11, 2017
Hello!
Does anyone have a good contact for a lawyer for a spousal sponsorship in Canada?

Also:
- We just got married and my spouse is currently here on a work permit. He is itching to get an open work permit asap as he wants to change companies. What is the path to get an open work permit as fast as possible?

Thanks all!
:)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
disney said:
Hello!
Does anyone have a good contact for a lawyer for a spousal sponsorship in Canada?

Also:
- We just got married and my spouse is currently here on a work permit. He is itching to get an open work permit asap as he wants to change companies. What is the path to get an open work permit as fast as possible?

Thanks all!
:)
First and most important step is do not even consider a lawyer. In most cases it's a complete waste of money as you can just do the app yourselves.

Apply for his PR using the INLAND method, and submit the OWP app with the PR application. He should get the OWP approx 4 months later. When you start on the app, just ask questions as needed to this forum and you will get better answers than a lawyer.

disney

Mar 11, 2017
On Inland, isn't he stuck not being able to travel outside canada?

When you do an outland, does it come back with an OWP as well?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
disney said:
On Inland, isn't he stuck not being able to travel outside canada?
True you are not recommended to leave Canada with an inland app in progress. It's not leaving that's the problem, it's when returning if you are denied entry by CBSA for any reason, the inland app is considered to be cancelled and need to start over from the beginning.

However if the traveler is visa-exempt and has OWP in hand, the chances of being denied entry are very very slim. I just wouldn't make a habit out of it.

When you do an outland, does it come back with an OWP as well?
No, there is no OWP with an outland app. Need to wait until fully approved and he has landed as a PR.

disney

Mar 11, 2017
Thanks all!!

A few more questions:
1) how long does the OWP last in the inland sponsorship?
2) if we go the outland route, it appears processing times are 12 months. Once you get back approval, do you need to then apply for an OWP as well?

disney

Mar 11, 2017
Ok 4 to 6 months for outland is more palatable! I'm such a newbie to this... does the PR give him rights to work in any position/company?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
disney said:
Ok 4 to 6 months for outland is more palatable! I'm such a newbie to this... does the PR give him rights to work in any position/company?
If he's American, then outland is probably the better choice. Once he's a PR he can work pretty much anywhere.

disney

Mar 11, 2017
Okay I looked that up ... it does!! :D

Okay so what do you guys recommend. Here is a recap of our full situation:

1) My now husband used to work for a Canadian company in the USA. We worked on the same team - me in Canada, him in the USA. We met, fell in love etc. Did long distance for two years.

2) At beginning of Year 3, he got a 3 year work permit to work in Canada with the Canadian company. The work permit is tied to his current position in Toronto, with current company. He has no rights to switch jobs or even cities.

3) We get engaged and then just got married - "Celebration in Las Vegas" ; Legal wedding @ city hall in toronto yesterday.

4) We are ready for sponsorship now, and he REALLY wants to switch jobs/company.

5) We both have NEXUS cards.

Would you recommend INLAND or OUTLAND?

disney

Mar 11, 2017
Thank you!
We have a "Record of Marriage"
Unfortunately... a certificate of marriage takes an astounding 6 to 8 weeks :-X