+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Going to US with my valid study permit after graduation

kenthething23

Star Member
Dec 21, 2016
Hi All,

I am leaving Canada to the States for 5 days (Jan 18th-Jan 21st) for a conference after I finish my program in January (most likely I'll receive my final grades on Jan 10th, and I have to wait for 2 weeks to get confirmation from my institution, hence I am not able to apply for PGWP before leaving to the States), I am wondering if I can return to Canada after I've completed my program? My study permit expires on Mar 31st, 2017, and I am planning to apply for PGWP.

Outlines:
- Finish my program on the Jan 10th (most likely)
- Going to the States between Jan 18th - Jan 21st
- Coming back to Canada on Jan 22nd
- Study permit expires on Mar 31st, 2017

I just need a confirmation from the experts! Thanks :) ;)

jack_is_jack

Star Member
Nov 11, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
18-12-2014
Yes, you can return to Canada while you have valid Study Permit and not exceeded 90 days after official confirmation letter that your program is finished.

Tried it myself. You just need to say that you are planning to apply for PGWP. They will remind you how much time left to do that.

Moreover, you can try to apply right there on the border if you have all the proof (documents) with you.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

jack_is_jack said:
Yes, you can return to Canada while you have valid Study Permit and not exceeded 90 days after official confirmation letter that your program is finished.

Tried it myself. You just need to say that you are planning to apply for PGWP. They will remind you how much time left to do that.

Moreover, you can try to apply right there on the border if you have all the proof (documents) with you.

OP need a valid (or expired) TRV to return from US to Canada, not just a study permit.

jack_is_jack

Star Member
Nov 11, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
18-12-2014
J5M said:
Hi,

OP need a valid (or expired) TRV to return from US to Canada, not just a study permit.
Right, sorry. Usually TRV is the same expiry date as WP.

kenthething23

Star Member
Dec 21, 2016
jack_is_jack said:

Ok thanks for the help! I was worried! Haha