+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Going to doctors in ON on working holiday permit?

Taylor94

Aug 29, 2017
Hi there. I am just wondering how I would go about going to a doctors in Ontario. I have hurt my arm recently and I think I need to go to the doctors to get it checked out. I am on a working holiday visa from Australia and have travel insurance however I have been told that many doctors require you to have the Ontario health insurance card which I obviously don't have. Are there places I can go that will accept my travel insurance or just payment in general? Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Call ahead to ask whether they accept cash/credit/debit payments. Travel insurance often require you to pay upfront and then you submit the claim. You should look up your plan.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi there. I am just wondering how I would go about going to a doctors in Ontario. I have hurt my arm recently and I think I need to go to the doctors to get it checked out. I am on a working holiday visa from Australia and have travel insurance however I have been told that many doctors require you to have the Ontario health insurance card which I obviously don't have. Are there places I can go that will accept my travel insurance or just payment in general? Thanks
No general doctor "requires" you to have OHIP. They all have cash options as well.

So for any general doctor or walk-in clinic you go to, expect to pay cash for the exam and for any follow up tests/x-rays etc. After everything is done, you can then arrange with your insurance company to reimburse the costs to you (less any deductible).

Sometimes hospitals will agree to arrange payments directly with insurance companies, however this is entirely at their discretion.

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
Look for walk in clinics in your area... You will have to pay for the appointment/consultation. I have paid $50-70 in the past. Then depending on what you need and your policy specs your travel insurance may kick in.