+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Going to Canada with your girlfriend/boyfriend

gacillo2

May 29, 2009
Dear all,

This is my first time posting here so I take the opportunity to say hello to everybody. Now I will go straight to the bush: My girlfriend and my-self are currently working in France as chemical engineers. We have begun looking at the possibility of moving to Canada. One question that has popped up is the following: what if during our job hunting process, one of us finds a job whereas the other one not? could we go together to Canada or would it be necessary to be married? I guess it is a quite simple question but important however since I am pretty sure it would be very difficult for us to find a job and visa exactly at the same time. In other words, how other non-married couples have managed to go together to Canada if they did?

Thanks all of you guys, your comments are very much appreciated

George

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In order to go together, if you are not married, you need to have lived together 12 months or more (common law). If that is the case, if one of you gets a job, you list the other as a common law partner on the work permit application, go to Canada together and apply for the other ones open work permit when you arrive.

If you decide you would rather apply to immigrate right away, you can apply together if you are common law partners.