+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Going to Canada and Back to USA Before Making The Landing Official

Houa

Mar 3, 2024
Hello kind people,

I am a US citizen. I have a flight coming up by the end of March to Canada for my wife's birthday, but my spousal sponsorship had just been approved yesterday and my COPR is on the way to me as I write this post. I would love to make this trip as my official landing, but a week after that I have to come back to the states for my brother's wedding. I read that if I do this, I will have to apply for PRTD to enter Canada. With how long I had to wait for my COPR to be processed (1 month and a half), I am trying to avoid this process if possible.

My question is that can I go on this end of March trip to Canada as a visit, return for my brother's wedding in the US, then fly back to Canada again and this time, make it official landing? Will this causes issue(s) for me?

If anyone that had this kind of experience before can chime in would be much appreciate or anyone that knows anything about this. I thank you for your time and help :)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello kind people,

I am a US citizen. I have a flight coming up by the end of March to Canada for my wife's birthday, but my spousal sponsorship had just been approved yesterday and my COPR is on the way to me as I write this post. I would love to make this trip as my official landing, but a week after that I have to come back to the states for my brother's wedding. I read that if I do this, I will have to apply for PRTD to enter Canada. With how long I had to wait for my COPR to be processed (1 month and a half), I am trying to avoid this process if possible.

My question is that can I go on this end of March trip to Canada as a visit, return for my brother's wedding in the US, then fly back to Canada again and this time, make it official landing? Will this causes issue(s) for me?

If anyone that had this kind of experience before can chime in would be much appreciate or anyone that knows anything about this. I thank you for your time and help :)
Since you hold a valid U.S. passport, you would not need a PRTD; you travel on the strength (for now) of your U.S. passport. Just to volunteer information to the airline that you are (or will be) a PR when you fly back to Canada. Ninety nine percent of the time the airline scans the U.S. passport and that's all they need to see. Let them assume that you are `visiting' Canada.

A PR Card or a PRTD are only requirements to appease a commercial carrier. They are NOT needed to actually `enter' Canada [presenting yourself to CBSA for inspection].

Reactions: armoured

Houa

Mar 3, 2024
Since you hold a valid U.S. passport, you would not need a PRTD; you travel on the strength (for now) of your U.S. passport. Just to volunteer information to the airline that you are (or will be) a PR when you fly back to Canada. Ninety nine percent of the time the airline scans the U.S. passport and that's all they need to see. Let them assume that you are `visiting' Canada.

A PR Card or a PRTD are only requirements to appease a commercial carrier. They are NOT needed to actually `enter' Canada [presenting yourself to CBSA for inspection].
Thank you very much Ponga. I really appreciate your helpful information. Just to clarify and unless the airline asks, I would not have to say or provide anything correct?

How about when I get there and going through Canada customs and border? Normally every time I visit, I would go to the kiosk to scan my US passport and declare as tourist/sight seeing, get a receipt, show it to an officer, and he or she will let me through instantly. Would I still just do this for this coming trip?

Sorry to bomber you with more questions!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once you become a PR, you would need to use your PR Card at the PIK machine, since you would no longer be a visitor to Canada. Since you may not have your card in time, I would avoid using the PIK and just go straight to a CBSA Primary Inspection officer. Perhaps they will let you bypass Secondary altogether once they hear your story.

Houa

Mar 3, 2024
Once you become a PR, you would need to use your PR Card at the PIK machine, since you would no longer be a visitor to Canada. Since you may not have your card in time, I would avoid using the PIK and just go straight to a CBSA Primary Inspection officer. Perhaps they will let you bypass Secondary altogether once they hear your story.
Thank you for the fast response! I might just have to do that. Last question if you know, would I already be a PR (I assumed yes, since I had been approved already) or not until I go through immigration officer by presenting my COPR? Just thought I ask.

Thanks again.

Last edited: