+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Going from Working Holiday Visa to Young Professional (HELP)

christianrl

Feb 5, 2017
Hello,

My name is Christan, I am from Spain and I have been in Canada for 10 months now. My current visa (Working Holiday Visa) expires in October and I would like to get the next one (Young Professionals Visa) but I am not even sure if that exists anymore, because I am not able to find how to apply for it.
Currently, I have been working for the same employee for 5 months, and they want me to keep working for them for as long as I can, so I would like to know If I will be able to do that, and how.

I see that now you need to give biometrics, which It's fine, but I am not sure where to start. Do anyone know what my next step shoud be?

Reactions: vancouverBC2017

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

My name is Christan, I am from Spain and I have been in Canada for 10 months now. My current visa (Working Holiday Visa) expires in October and I would like to get the next one (Young Professionals Visa) but I am not even sure if that exists anymore, because I am not able to find how to apply for it.
Currently, I have been working for the same employee for 5 months, and they want me to keep working for them for as long as I can, so I would like to know If I will be able to do that, and how.

I see that now you need to give biometrics, which It's fine, but I am not sure where to start. Do anyone know what my next step shoud be?
Information can be found on the following site:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp

christianrl

Feb 5, 2017
Thank you very much. I checked whether I am eligible or not for the Young Professionals Visa, and the everything is ok, but there is something I do not understand. The following:

"There must be a three-month break between the expiry date of your first Canadian work permit under IEC and the submission date of your second IEC work permit application."

Does that mean that I have to wait three months after my current visa finishes before applying for the next one? My current visa is ending on October the 22nd.

Thank you, I hope you can help me.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but that is the way I read it you cannot apply for a YP until 3 months after your current IEC expires, so January 22.

So I guess you either need to return home for that period or apply to extend stay as a visitor during which time of course you cannot work. Add to that of course you have the processing time once you have submitted your application so even extending as a visitor might become a challenge.

Last edited:

John686

Oct 16, 2018
Hey Christan,
Could you attach that link to the following - "There must be a three-month break between the expiry date of your first Canadian work permit under IEC and the submission date of your second IEC work permit application"

Couldn't find it and that seems a bit confusing. Never heard of that and I talked to people who just went to the US Border to activate their Young professional visa after the work and holiday expired.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hey Christan,
Could you attach that link to the following - "There must be a three-month break between the expiry date of your first Canadian work permit under IEC and the submission date of your second IEC work permit application"

Couldn't find it and that seems a bit confusing. Never heard of that and I talked to people who just went to the US Border to activate their Young professional visa after the work and holiday expired.
Clearly stated for a Spanish citizen as the OP is, on the IRCC IEC eligibility page, no idea about other countries you will need to check.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp?country=es&cat=wh&#country_category_name

See here for country specific requirements ref the 3 month rule

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes/international-experience/canadian-interests-reciprocal-employment-international-experience-canada-bilateral-agreements-arrangements.html

Last edited:

vancouverBC2017

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
CEC
Hello dear Christian and pro´s @Bs65 and @John686 here on canadavisa.

Super-interesting! - In a similar situation, but from Germany, the 3 months waiting period seems not to apply for German citizens as I have just tested it (eligibility test).

My IEC working visa runs out end of Feb.19 - got a pot. employer for YP. I want to apply for the YP once the pools re-open.
-> Currently in Canada
-> Holding the IEC (open work permit)
-> Want to apply whilst in Canada & on IEC work permit
-> My passport expires end of next year
-> Biometrics?

My concern / confusion is:
Going via US border, then back into Canada to activate the YP visa, no clue what they mean by biometrics centres. I am not planning back on flying anywhere soon.

How long does my passport have to be valid when applying for the YP? 3 or 6 months?
Once it gets close mid-year 2019 I´ll get a new one from the German consulate.

Happy to read from you,
:) Have a great weekend!

BC-Mert

Feb 15, 2019
Hello dear Christian and pro´s @Bs65 and @John686 here on canadavisa.

Super-interesting! - In a similar situation, but from Germany, the 3 months waiting period seems not to apply for German citizens as I have just tested it (eligibility test).

My IEC working visa runs out end of Feb.19 - got a pot. employer for YP. I want to apply for the YP once the pools re-open.
-> Currently in Canada
-> Holding the IEC (open work permit)
-> Want to apply whilst in Canada & on IEC work permit
-> My passport expires end of next year
-> Biometrics?

My concern / confusion is:
Going via US border, then back into Canada to activate the YP visa, no clue what they mean by biometrics centres. I am not planning back on flying anywhere soon.

How long does my passport have to be valid when applying for the YP? 3 or 6 months?
Once it gets close mid-year 2019 I´ll get a new one from the German consulate.

Happy to read from you,
:) Have a great weekend!

Hi there, have you managed to sort your YP visa?
My girlfriend is from Germany and she has just applied. They have requested her Biometrics and it says in the letter she has to leave the country to do this?
Did you experience this, can she just got and cross the boarder and come back? any advice will be appreciated, thanks

mbombo

Feb 1, 2019
Hi there, have you managed to sort your YP visa?
My girlfriend is from Germany and she has just applied. They have requested her Biometrics and it says in the letter she has to leave the country to do this?
Did you experience this, can she just got and cross the boarder and come back? any advice will be appreciated, thanks
Hi there,

You need to leave the country and do you biometrics outside of Canada. You cannot do it in the border, you have to go to a VAC center. If you go to the US, you need to be careful at the border, as they may not let you in if you say you are going to the states to get your biometrics done, it depends on the officer.

mmartins25

Aug 30, 2019
@mbombo , @BC-Mert , @vancouverBC2017, @Bs65 , @John686, @christianrl.

Do you guys know if I should create a new profile for applying to my second WHV or should I do it through my current profile?
I have double citizenship (Spanish and portuguese) and I'm currently in Canada with the Spanish one but I can apply again with the Portuguese passport but I don't know how should I do it...

I believe that I can apply also some weeks before this WHV lasts? So I just go to a border to activate my new open work permit?

mmartins25

Aug 30, 2019
Guys I forgot that all the years they remove all the profiles, so answering myself, yes, we need to create a new profile (I assume...).

Keoghl7

Nov 22, 2019
Hi there,

I am an Irish citizen looking currently on the IEC visa ending January 10th , I am only know discovering this other option for young professional visa upon researching online.
Hoping you can clarify a couple of things for me.. Can I apply for this Young professional visa on the CIC website using the profile I used when applying for my IEC visa ?
I was under the impression one could only apply for the Young Professional visa through a recognized organization , this is amazing news of that’s not the case !!

any help would be greatly appreciated !

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi there,

I am an Irish citizen looking currently on the IEC visa ending January 10th , I am only know discovering this other option for young professional visa upon researching online.
Hoping you can clarify a couple of things for me.. Can I apply for this Young professional visa on the CIC website using the profile I used when applying for my IEC visa ?
I was under the impression one could only apply for the Young Professional visa through a recognized organization , this is amazing news of that’s not the case !!

1. IMHO, you are out of luck. Here is what CIC says

"Note: As an Irish citizen, you may participate in the Working Holiday category only once. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you may participate in IEC one more time through the International Co-op (Internship) category."

As you have participated under the Working Holiday program, you are only eligible for an IEC in International Coop, not Young Professionals.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,

As PMM said above, the YP visa isn't an option for you since you've already held an IEC. Only option is a co-op. Rules are pretty black and white on this.

c1414014

Dec 6, 2019
As PMM said above, the YP visa isn't an option for you since you've already held an IEC. Only option is a co-op. Rules are pretty black and white on this.
@Keoghl7, from my understanding you could use an recognised organisation (a good UK one is Bunac and I think it includes Ireland too as their help area) to get a YP permit as a second IEC participation. It's approx. $1000 plus biometrics etc compared to getting a second WH which would be around $5k. This is what I've been suggested by IRCC to do based on being in a similar situation to you. The applications open for YP second help from Bunac on Jan 15th.

Hope this helps - let me know how you get on with your situation, would be a great help to me preparing for a similar one in a few months!