+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Going for study in Canada after 6 plus years of experience

Prospect123

Jan 30, 2013
Hi,

I am planning to pursue a one year Post Graduate Diploma course in marketing/PR/corporate comunication starting January 2014. Is it a problem for PG Diploma courses if one has a gap of more than 6 years since last qualification.

I completed my PGDM in 2006 and am working since 2006. I also have an 8 band IELTS score.

What are my chances?

Please enlighten

RonXenner

Jan 31, 2013
This whole study gap story is completely misunderstood.

The meaning of study gap is for people who did something STOPPED it and then did something else a lot later or did something COMPLETELY different. If you were working between that time, that understood. VO's are humans and they understand if you have been working. They are worried about people who are idly waiting by for life to pass and one day they realize that its better to go to some country and party than waiting.. those are the people who end up being illegal in any country.

Make sure you submit a document outlining what you have done from your last qualification to now.

Also when you select a course, get something that is above your current qualification, and make sure its in line with your employment.

Prospect123

Jan 30, 2013
Hi RonXenner,

Thanks for your response and encouragement.

I was working all this while after my last education, and that too in a related filed i.e Marketing and Sales. The PG Diploma I am planning to pursue will also be either in Marketing Communications or Public Relations as while working all along I found that these are the areas where I can excel, but I just need a brush up on my skills to secure a good position in a reputed company.

Will VO also do a reference check for work experience? If yes, then I will start planning and informing people in my previous organisations.

Thanks again for your response.

Prospect123

Jan 30, 2013
Hi Selvakumar,

The reason is that I had taken education loan for my PG Diploma in 2006 and I repaid that completely only by 2010.

Now I am free from all financial burdens and can plan something to advance my career.

I also thought of doing an MBA but the cost is way too high for MBA courses.

Plus I also have some relevant work experience hence it would be easier for me to pick up things and refine & enhance my knowledge.

If you have any suggestions for me, then please share, I shall be grateful for your guidance.

Regards

prathapg86

Star Member
Mar 14, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RonXenner said:
This whole study gap story is completely misunderstood.

The meaning of study gap is for people who did something STOPPED it and then did something else a lot later or did something COMPLETELY different. If you were working between that time, that understood. VO's are humans and they understand if you have been working. They are worried about people who are idly waiting by for life to pass and one day they realize that its better to go to some country and party than waiting.. those are the people who end up being illegal in any country.

Make sure you submit a document outlining what you have done from your last qualification to now.

Also when you select a course, get something that is above your current qualification, and make sure its in line with your employment.
I agree that the VO will accept it... But I also have the same issue as I have more than 7-8 Years of gap.. And I checked with 2 colleges (George brown ,fanshawe college and Uni of Alberta... ) All the 3 said that Im not eligible for any diploma or post grad dip in any college or Univ...As the min what they seek is 5 years gap... Not sure what to do.. even Im confused... Because everystep for the Visa has to start from the LOA ... :(

Thanks,
Prathap

RonXenner

Jan 31, 2013
prathapg86:

Could you state your profile?

Whats your line of work? When did you finish high school? and What sort of program your looking into in Canada?

Prospect123:

Its always better to keep your previous employees HR departments informed. Why dont you too state your profile here so we can help you better. Mention what colleges you looked into if possible.

prathapg86

Star Member
Mar 14, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RonXenner said:
prathapg86:

Could you state your profile?

Whats your line of work? When did you finish high school? and What sort of program your looking into in Canada?
Here is my complete profile - Pls do check it out and give me ur feedback....

10th - 2002 - 56%
12th - 2004 - 61%
IELTS score - 6.5 (L7,S7,R6.W6.5)
Ive got about 7+ years of work experience in an IT company as a business analyst

The course which I wanted to enroll is advance Diploma in Business administration/project management or international business....

So as of now the last studies active was 2004 , the gap of almost 8 Years... Will this be a problem for the admission or the Visa processing.... ?? Appreciate your help on this concern...

Thanks,
Prathap

New_Aspirant

Star Member
Jan 5, 2013
Hi,

I dont think so that is going to stop you from getting an admission in any college. Infact they would like to hire pple with such good experience who can enhance the class with rich experience.

Programs like Project management are specifically meant for experience candidates like you.

Kindly talk to college representatives in some education fair happening across all cities in india this month.

prathapg86

Star Member
Mar 14, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
New_Aspirant said:
Hi,

I dont think so that is going to stop you from getting an admission in any college. Infact they would like to hire pple with such good experience who can enhance the class with rich experience.

Programs like Project management are specifically meant for experience candidates like you.

Kindly talk to college representatives in some education fair happening across all cities in india this month.
Thanks a lot for the encouragement bud.. :) Appreciate that... And I actually met a representatives of all the 3 institutions... (Univ of Alberta,George brown, Fanshawe) in an educational fair and thats where they bombed me saying...that IM not eligible.. And when I emailed Humber about my admission with few questions.. They mentioned something about PLAR... and mature student...I really couldn't get much info on that... Any inputs??

Thanks,
Prathap

New_Aspirant

Star Member
Jan 5, 2013
prathapg86 said:
Thanks a lot for the encouragement bud.. :) Appreciate that... And I actually met a representatives of all the 3 institutions... (Univ of Alberta,George brown, Fanshawe) in an educational fair and thats where they bombed me saying...that IM not eligible.. And when I emailed Humber about my admission with few questions.. They mentioned something about PLAR... and mature student...I really couldn't get much info on that... Any inputs??

Thanks,
Prathap
Thats quite shocking. With the list you have mentioned i assume that you attended the fair in chennai (The Park) yesterday. The lady representati George Brown was not a faculty from the actual acollege, she gave wrong information to fellow mates as well.

Kindly drop a mail to college administration and check once. business@georgebrown.ca

prathapg86

Star Member
Mar 14, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yep.. in D Park...For george brown it was a guy - Sourabh Malhotra... Im thinkin of attending few others happ this month....

If u dont mind may I know ur status???

Thanks,
Prathap

New_Aspirant

Star Member
Jan 5, 2013
prathapg86 said:
Yep.. in D Park...For george brown it was a guy - Sourabh Malhotra... Im thinkin of attending few others happ this month....

If u dont mind may I know ur status???

Thanks,
Prathap
When i cheked-in i met a lady sitting there. Saurabh was with Fanshawe. I attended few fairs organized by top consultancies and I really dont see any more Canadian colleges/Universities coming to chennai for such fairs. Just go to some consultant and apply for a program. They will not charge you for applying. Just give a try to few colleges with a strong profile.

Is there any other reason pointed out by the representative for the rejecting your application.

I'm a IT professional with 2.5 years experience in Testing and looking for PG- Information Systems in GBC sept 2013.

All the best..!!

Prospect123

Jan 30, 2013
Hi RonXenner,

I am thankful to you for your inputs. Here's a brief on my profile:

BCA - 2003
PGDM (Marketing+Finance) - 2006
Sales and marketing profiles in banking, IT, Events
Currently working as marketing manager in an IT firm
IELTS score - 8

Please let me know if I should share more details.

I am considering the following: PG Diploma in Marketing and PR from University of Winnipeg
PG Diploma in International Business from George Brown College

What are my chances?

Also thanks everyone for all your responses.

@dubaitotoronto:- thanks a ton for your encouragement dude :)