+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Going for job interview - will take luggage in next 2 months

vcoer

Jul 18, 2017
Hi,
I live in US and landed Canada 2 years back - got PR - and now going there again for a job interview. Plan to carry my Furniture, Luggage, Car etc after 2 months? What do I have to do this time on Airport so that I can carry luggage after 2 months duty-free? Is there a form I need to fill - if yes, who will authorize it?

PS: I remember last time when I initially landed, I showed a hand-written letter to immigration officer which had all the luggage items I plan to carry on my next visit. He said he doesn't do customs and that you have to do this online. I am not sure what he really meant?

Thanks a lot..

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,
I live in US and landed Canada 2 years back - got PR - and now going there again for a job interview. Plan to carry my Furniture, Luggage, Car etc after 2 months? What do I have to do this time on Airport so that I can carry luggage after 2 months duty-free? Is there a form I need to fill - if yes, who will authorize it?

PS: I remember last time when I initially landed, I showed a hand-written letter to immigration officer which had all the luggage items I plan to carry on my next visit. He said he doesn't do customs and that you have to do this online. I am not sure what he really meant?

Thanks a lot..
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf186-eng.html
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf186a-eng.html

Reactions: vcoer

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
You don't need to do anything. The next time when you actually make the permanent move, let them know all the stuff that you are carrying and you will get duty free under 'settler' tariff.

vcoer

Jul 18, 2017
Thanks @zardoz . Yeah, I knew about these BSF186 forms. But last time (at the time of my initial landing), when I showed the immigration officer (the one who gave me PR) these forms, he asked me to do "all this" online! Since I was not in a hurry to import my items, I didn't at the time further asked him how.. but.. What did he mean by this? I don't see a way to submit these forms online.. is there something I am missing?

Thanks

Last edited:

vcoer

Jul 18, 2017
You don't need to do anything. The next time when you actually make the permanent move, let them know all the stuff that you are carrying and you will get duty free under 'settler' tariff.
I will be sending the stuff by a Movers (truck) and would not actually carry it myself. Wouldn't I need to give them any documents?

Another thing I noticed from these links which @zardoz shared was that my stuff would be delivered to local CBSA facility? What does this mean? I would like Movers to deliver the stuff at my door-step .. how can I make that happen?

Thanks

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
It has to clear customs before you can have it delivered. Customs will hold it until it is inspected and duties paid (if applicable) and release it. The movers can then deliver it to your door.

vcoer

Jul 18, 2017
It has to clear customs before you can have it delivered. Customs will hold it until it is inspected and duties paid (if applicable) and release it. The movers can then deliver it to your door.
Customs at the border or could it be the local CBSA facility near your Candian home (e.g. Vancouver)? I would like to be personally present when my truck arrives at the border, so that it can be released ASAP..

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
I will be sending the stuff by a Movers (truck) and would not actually carry it myself. Wouldn't I need to give them any documents?

Another thing I noticed from these links which @zardoz shared was that my stuff would be delivered to local CBSA facility? What does this mean? I would like Movers to deliver the stuff at my door-step .. how can I make that happen?

Thanks
You can create a list and take it with you while traveling first time as 'Goods to follow'. CBP will stamp and provide you with a duty receipt. Then hand it over to the movers.