+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Go back to home country

Mar007

Feb 24, 2020
Hello, I was wondering if someone can give me a straight answer. I came to Canada 10 years ago as a refugee, I became a Canadian Citizen 3 years ago. I have never being back to my home country since I came to Canada. I called the CIC and the lady told me that even though I am Canadian citizen, if I go back to my home country, when I am back to Canada the boarder officer will question the reason I had to go back to the country which I requested asylum from, and that I can put my Canadian citizen status at risk. She told me to look into my passport to see if there is any restriction to where I can go, but on page 5 under observation doesn't say anything. Can someone please help me.

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
There isn't any restrictions for Canadian Citizen to go anywhere that the law permitted to go, which means that yes, you can go back to your home country, if it is not on the travel ban list. But if the political climate is hostile to your home country, then there might have some risk that will jeopardize your citizenship. It is not necessary for them to accuse you visiting your home country, they can find anything that to stripe your citizenship, where can be to the most extended that permitted by law.

Sound scary? Don't be. And YES, YOU CAN VISIT YOUR HOME COUNTRY.

Reactions: Mar007

Mar007

Feb 24, 2020
Thank you very much, the lady at CIC really scared me with her answer. The political situation in my country has changed we had democratic elections and we have a decent president

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you very much, the lady at CIC really scared me with her answer. The political situation in my country has changed we had democratic elections and we have a decent president
Although it is legal to return to your home country at this point the optics don’t look great especially if people return for long periods of time.

Reactions: Mar007