+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Global Talent Stream x Express Entry

edwin_isensee

Nov 22, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
If a foreign worker is accepted through the Global Talent Stream and receives a temporary Work Permit, does it mean this worker is entitled to receive 50 points at the Express Entry system because he has a job offer supported by an LMIA?

Binabik

Star Member
Aug 15, 2017
Canada
Yes as long as your job offer is valid 1 year after the approval of your PR application. This means that your job offer must cover the 1 year + the PR processing time.

MrB

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes as long as your job offer is valid 1 year after the approval of your PR application. This means that your job offer must cover the 1 year + the PR processing time.
This is not correct, your offer of employment letter must contain a clause stating that they are willing to guarantee you employment for 1 year after PR, if not you will not receive the 50 points.

The reason is because it is impossible to predict the PR approval time even though for express entry it promises a 6 month processing time for 80% of applications. You may fall into the 20%. Unless you have a continuous FTE offer.

Binabik

Star Member
Aug 15, 2017
Canada
I believe that's what I said: "Yes as long as your job offer is valid 1 year after the approval of your PR application".

This said, this is good that you clarified what it means exactly in terms of phrasing of the job offer.

MrB

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I understand what you are saying but it is better to be explicit and more detailed in your response because we do not have enough information to confidently answer yes to Edwin's question. We do not know how long his contract is valid for. Let's assume it's a 2 year contract for example and his application is not considered straight forward by IRCC, what will guarantee the 50 points?

edwin_isensee

Nov 22, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Thanks, Binabik and Mrb!

Let me make a more specific question. Supposing I receive today a two years job offer, and it's approved by the Global Talent Stream. It means very soon I will have a work permit valid for two years. My question is, may I automatically update my Express Entry profile saying that I have a valid job offer supported by an LMIA (and get the 50 points)? Or there is an additional step to be done before I can update my Express Entry Profile?

If I may update my EE profile soon, it means I will have two years to receive the ITA, apply for PR and receive the acceptance. Am I correct? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

MrB

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In this case I will not take the chance to update your EE profile. The reason being IRCC expects you to be guaranteed at least one year of employment from the time you receive PR. It is impossible to determine when this will be.The best way to guarantee the 50 points is if your employer puts a clause stating you will be employed for at least an additional year after PR or the offer is continuous i.e permanent.

The danger of answering yes on the EE profile is that it may lead to you getting an ITA. This may be problematic because if upon reviewing your application an officer determines that your offer of employment is not valid, you will be refused and would have wasted valuable time.

closingtime

Star Member
Nov 3, 2017
NOC Code......
Hi all, just bringing back an old thread.

If my employer gets their LMIA approved and the job offer is permanent do I qualify for the job offer backed by LMIA before I have completed 1 year of work experience in Canada ?

I thought the LMIA to support express entry application was separate from the TFWP LMIA which covers Global Talent Stream ?

sandymadis

Jul 19, 2018
Hi all, just bringing back an old thread.

If my employer gets their LMIA approved and the job offer is permanent do I qualify for the job offer backed by LMIA before I have completed 1 year of work experience in Canada ?

I thought the LMIA to support express entry application was separate from the TFWP LMIA which covers Global Talent Stream ?
Hi Closingtime,

Did you get an answer to your question above? I also have the same query - "The positive LMIA received towards Global Talent Stream Work Permit can be used in the express entry application to receive additional 50 points?". Would be grateful if you can share new findings, if any.

Thanks!

closingtime

Star Member
Nov 3, 2017
NOC Code......
Hi Closingtime,

Did you get an answer to your question above? I also have the same query - "The positive LMIA received towards Global Talent Stream Work Permit can be used in the express entry application to receive additional 50 points?". Would be grateful if you can share new findings, if any.

Thanks!
No I did not.

I do however have lmia approved now, when my job becomes permanent I will enter the lmia number and complete the questions on my express entry profile and see what happens.

It seems to be that if you are working for the employer named on the lmia and have been offered a permanent position that the year requirement does not apply as that is for Canadian experience class and not federal skilled worker, but that is by no means a guarantee.

Fate willling my job Should be by the end of the year and I will try to remember to post here what the outcome was when I try for the points.

It is a crazy system.

Nayna

Feb 3, 2018
I also had similar query, if Approved Global talent stream application can be used for PR or not

I called up CIC to confirm and they answered that
Approved LMIA received should state it’s for federal skill worker and not temporary skill worker

If the heading of LMIA states temporary than you cannot use it for PR

If the LMIA heading states federal than only it can be used for PR

closingtime

Star Member
Nov 3, 2017
NOC Code......
I also had similar query, if Approved Global talent stream application can be used for PR or not

I called up CIC to confirm and they answered that
Approved LMIA received should state it’s for federal skill worker and not temporary skill worker

If the heading of LMIA states temporary than you cannot use it for PR

If the LMIA heading states federal than only it can be used for PR
Hi that is interesting thank you for the response.

That directly contradicts what the cic website says which is that if a job offer is issued to somebody on a work permit (same employer) and has an approved LMIA and the job offer is permanent that points can be claimed.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment.html

Am currently working on my lmia under a permit, job goes permanent in October. So will see how it goes. Worst comes to worst I can apply for pr after a year.

Most of the officials (not all) that I have interacted with so far during this process have been fairly unhelpful.

gunneri

Star Member
Sep 5, 2018
No I did not.

I do however have lmia approved now, when my job becomes permanent I will enter the lmia number and complete the questions on my express entry profile and see what happens.

It seems to be that if you are working for the employer named on the lmia and have been offered a permanent position that the year requirement does not apply as that is for Canadian experience class and not federal skilled worker, but that is by no means a guarantee.

Fate willling my job Should be by the end of the year and I will try to remember to post here what the outcome was when I try for the points.

It is a crazy system.
Hi did you applied for express entry using your LMIA for temporary work permit

ug_roots

Mar 7, 2018
Hi that is interesting thank you for the response.

That directly contradicts what the cic website says which is that if a job offer is issued to somebody on a work permit (same employer) and has an approved LMIA and the job offer is permanent that points can be claimed.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment.html

Am currently working on my lmia under a permit, job goes permanent in October. So will see how it goes. Worst comes to worst I can apply for pr after a year.

Most of the officials (not all) that I have interacted with so far during this process have been fairly unhelpful.
Hello.
Were you able to apply for pr using your gts lmia?

WED

Star Member
Jul 11, 2017
I am in Toronto right now in a permanent job offer qualified under LMIA stream.

1) Can I start the PR process as it's hardly 10 days @ my work now and it's been 2 weeks since I landed @ Toronto? So, can I start the process ?

2) My job is permanent but mentioned as temporary foreign worker and I am not sure where to see the " Federal skilled worker ". Can I apply for PR ?

3) Can I claim 50 points for PR process ?

4) Do I need to apply for PR under which category? Do I need to apply under Express Entry or FSW or CEC ?

Thanks