+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Global skills strategy 2 weeks processing from outside Canada (but can't leave Canada at the moment)

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
Hi all,
I am already in Canada on a eta visa and I have a work contract ready to start in May (as a post-doctoral researcher). I am eligible for the 2 weeks processing through the global skills strategy (I already did this 3 years ago for my first contract), if I apply from outside Canada.
I was originally planning to go back to Europe for a couple of weeks, apply, and come back and start working. Now with the current situation I can't leave Canada, but if I apply from within Canada, processing times are currently minimum 3 months (or longer given the situation), which would leave me here unemployed for a few months.
Any idea if there are exceptions to this with the current situation and I could apply from within Canada and still get the 2 weeks processing? I also need biometrics which now is suspended. Who could I contact otherwise? I tried my national embassy but they redirected me to the immigration canada website.
Thanks!

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
Italy.
I have contacted immigration Canada but they only deal with ongoing applications which is not my case.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Even if you applied from abroad processing times may be longer due to covid and never guaranteed to be 2 weeks. 2 weeks is an estimate.

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
Thanks, last time it was done in 3 days. I know two weeks is only an estimate, but much better than the now estimated four months.
I still have not solved this issue despite trying to contact multiple embassies/immigration/consulate/provincial and federal bureau, etc.