+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Giving birth in Canada !

Roofster

Jan 12, 2012
My wife is pregnant. We have a visitor visa to Canada. We are planning to give birth to our child in Canada.
My wife is 6 months pregnant, pregnancy is starting to show on her. We are planning to go next month and stay there for 3 months.

My question is:

Is this illegal ? Is there any law that prevents people from doing this ?

If the officer at the borders ask us if we plan to give birth there, should we say the truth ? and if we say the truth, can they prevent us from going in ?

NB: We are medically covered and there is no problem with paying the expenses.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know, it is not illegal but the immigration officers may want to know the purpose of your visit and they may be worried that you can not support yourselves without working or that you will run up health care bills that you can not pay. Therefore it might be safer to say that you are coming for a 2 week vacation and show return ticket but in that case get a ticket you are able to change or the other option would be to tell the truth but prove that you do have the funds to support yourselves in Canada for 3 months and you do have insurance to cover the childbirth.

If you pick option #1, if anybody asks you later, you can always say that you changed your mind and decided to stay on. Immigration generally lets everybody in with a 6 month visa unless they are particularly suspicious of them.

Nordicgirl

Star Member
Dec 18, 2012
Visa Office......
Scarborough, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I recently saw in the news about maternity houses that are provided by some people for Chinese mothers-to-be. They go to the US just to have a baby so that the baby can have the US citizenship and as an adult sponsor the parents to the US. Not against the law in the US but not very ethical, in my opinion... It is as if they are more willing to take from the country than to give for it.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nordicgirl said:
I recently saw in the news about maternity houses that are provided by some people for Chinese mothers-to-be. They go to the US just to have a baby so that the baby can have the US citizenship and as an adult sponsor the parents to the US. Not against the law in the US but not very ethical, in my opinion... It is as if they are more willing to take from the country than to give for it.
IMO it's only unethical when they run up a hospital bill and then scoot off without paying because their unpaid bill will end up being in the hands of the tax payer somewhere down the line.

As for having a child who can sponsor them, nothing wrong with that. If they meet all requirements to be sponsored etc. and their child has enough income to support them, why not. However, their plans can also easily backfire because they may end up with a child who doesn't even particularly want to live in the US and even if they do, they may not be interested in sponsoring their parents at all or they may not have the funds.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Its not a bad idea to secure the future of the kid and possibly the future of the parents when they grow old and need access to health care. The West has created a system where if you are born here one can automatically get citizenship, dont expect people not to use this to their advantage. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. Canada is no Saint when it comes to re-uniting family members anyway, I know two cases personally where a Canadian tried to sponsor their parent and it took such a long time for the government sponsorship process to go through that one of the parent died. Go figure!

Afterall if the kid is born in some developing country he will be treated like a third class world citizen. World Vision and other charitable organizations will be making money off them by flashing their stories to Canadians, all this can change for the child and his family only if he is born here. So if this is not securing your future I dont know what is. This is absolutely ethical and morally correct for the future and survival of the human species.

So to conclude the West needs to change its policies for child birth if they want to take this a tad bit seriously.

Nordicgirl

Star Member
Dec 18, 2012
Visa Office......
Scarborough, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hmm I still think that it is not right to do that. That might lead to abuse of
the health care system by people who never even paid taxes here. Someone has to pay
the bills... Unfortunately.

If you suffer so much in your country that you only want to give birth in Canada, why do you go back? It can't be all that bad there then... I would be more impressed if they moved to Canada to stay...

Nordicgirl

Star Member
Dec 18, 2012
Visa Office......
Scarborough, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
IMO it's only unethical when they run up a hospital bill and then scoot off without paying because their unpaid bill will end up being in the hands of the tax payer somewhere down the line.

As for having a child who can sponsor them, nothing wrong with that. If they meet all requirements to be sponsored etc. and their child has enough income to support them, why not. However, their plans can also easily backfire because they may end up with a child who doesn't even particularly want to live in the US and even if they do, they may not be interested in sponsoring their parents at all or they may not have the funds.
You have a point there about hospital bills. I think it is
equally unethical to then sponsor people into country and have them just
use tax paid health care in a country that they have never
paid taxes in and never will. Someone has to pick up the bill... Sponsoring someone
near and dear into a country is totally cool, but that person should then
do his or her share and participate in the society and pay taxes...

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nordicgirl said:
Hmm I still think that it is not right to do that. That might lead to abuse of
the health care system by people who never even paid taxes here. Someone has to pay
the bills... Unfortunately.

If you suffer so much in your country that you only want to give birth in Canada, why do you go back? It can't be all that bad there then... I would be more impressed if they moved to Canada to stay...
What is not abused in Canada? please note the following:

Insurance Scam
Identity theft
Banking scam
Social service scam
Real estate scam
Corporate scam
Education scam

Why stop here, its only fair to abuse the health care system too, why should that be left out? after all its so easy. The amount of abuse in Canada reminds me of a bell in a temple, ring it whenever you want or as long as it serves your purpose and then take off. Hard working Canadians will be paying higher premiums and higher taxes every month, our costs don't decrease, its going up every year so might as well get used to it.

Unfortunately laws in Canada are too relaxed for criminals and they know they can get away very easily, for example the worst possible punishment a criminal can get is life in prison (only 25 years). If I were a criminal I'll be more than happy to serve 25 years, because I know I wont get the death sentence, I get free food, right to an education and shelter, without paying a dime, better than being out in the streets of Toronto at -25c. How would you feel if you know part of your hard earned money is going towards feeding 3 meals a day to a person who is responsible for the death of your family member? Wouldn't you rather see him dead? I know I would, 1 less person to deal with in society and 1 less probability of another crime being committed in the future.

Lets talk about law, if a thief comes into your house slips and falls, do you know you are held liable and he can sue you in court? Even if you happen to apprehend him until the police arrive you will be charged with forcible confinement? You are the person who will be arrested not the thief, he was just doing his job until he slipped on the floor you didnt clean.

It dosen't stop here, do you know you can get a lighter sentence if you are drunk or under the influence of drugs and commit a crime? So all this stuff is really sick, personally I feel the laws have made it easier so that people can pick and choose how they want to commit crime in order to get a lighter sentence. Nobody questions the fact if you are old enough to realize alcohol and drugs are bad for you, one should know better to stay away from all this....right? If one is old enough to willingly take drugs without any force, coercion or influence then they are also old enough to say no in the first place. Sadly the law dosen't address that. Being poor is not an excuse if one can afford $20 for crack cocaine then $20 get you far when it comes to feeding yourself. Its a lifestyle choice. There are far more poor people who came from much worst situations around the world and made is very successful in Canada so poverty is not an excuse, as a matter of fact its an inspiration to be hopeful, positive, never look back and move forward.

We as Canadians need to change the laws, this is our country and we possibly cant be victim to these ridiculous, illogical, unethical, ancient, draconian laws that compromise the safety of our families. People have to speak up otherwise there is no difference between us and mindless zombies.

solinga

Feb 5, 2013
Just because the laws allow for unethical abuse, doesn't mean its okay for people to be abusers. I agree that the laws should be changed. I also think this abuse of the current law is unethical. I want Canadian citizens to be people living in Canada. I want Canadian children to be receiving Canadian education so they are exposed to Canadian values. Just my opinion.

Nordicgirl

Star Member
Dec 18, 2012
Visa Office......
Scarborough, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
solinga said:
Just because the laws allow for unethical abuse, doesn't mean its okay for people to be abusers. I agree that the laws should be changed. I also think this abuse of the current law is unethical. I want Canadian citizens to be people living in Canada. I want Canadian children to be receiving Canadian education so they are exposed to Canadian values. Just my opinion.
If someone gives you something, of course you take it! Like Canadian citizenship if you give birth here but don't stay here to pay taxes and contribute to the Canadian society.

Canadians are citizens of a free country so they can live abroad if they want to. But as a Canadian, you should at least live in Canada for some time to contribute to the country that gave you your citizenship. And that is my opinion 8)

Nordicgirl

Star Member
Dec 18, 2012
Visa Office......
Scarborough, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nordicgirl said:
If someone gives you something, of course you take it! Like Canadian citizenship if you give birth here but don't stay here to pay taxes and contribute to the Canadian society. I also agree with you that the law should be changed in that regard.

Canadians are citizens of a free country so they can live abroad if they want to. But as a Canadian, you should at least live in Canada for some time to contribute to the country that gave you your citizenship. And that is my opinion 8)

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In theory YES I agree with you its absolutely wrong, but practically who cares everyone thinks about themselves and how they can cut corners and get things easily.

Why work hard and go through the front door legally if the government has made it so easy to enter through the back door?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The people who are having babies in Canada in order to get them citizenship though are not doing it for themselves though, that is unless you consider that a long term plan that at some point in 20+ years, their child may sponsor them. They are doing it for their children.

In any case, I wouldn't have a problem if they changed the law. They could limit citizenship by birth to babies whose at least one parent is a citizen or PR or at least on a valid work permit or study permit.

makonto

Jun 12, 2015
Roofster said:
My wife is pregnant. We have a visitor visa to Canada. We are planning to give birth to our child in Canada.
My wife is 6 months pregnant, pregnancy is starting to show on her. We are planning to go next month and stay there for 3 months.

My question is:

If the officer at the borders ask us if we plan to give birth there, should we say the truth ? and if we say the truth, can they prevent us from going in ?

have you managed to give birth there ?

wilbur

Star Member
Aug 5, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-04-2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with app
AOR Received.
02-06-2011
IELTS Request
Sent with app
File Transfer...
19-07-2011
Med's Request
02-09-2011
Med's Done....
03-09-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2011
LANDED..........
15-10-2011
Roofster said:

My question is:

Human mind is amazing, people just figure out ways to do things in a "legal way" even they are not ethical.