+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Girlfriend, Marriage and PR

Rhaenys

Aug 3, 2015
Hi,

I've been reading a lot of stuff here in the past months and just want to verify some stuff that I came up with.

1. So my girlfriend is working for her TRV to Canada. I assume, 1 month to 5 weeks is kind of a safe timeframe for the applied TRV?

Assuming that we get lucky and get approved - within that 1 month or so, we are planning to get married in Canada.

2. Is it safe to submit a spousal PR sponsorship which also includes an application for OWP right away? (Also within that 1 month timeframe).

3. Do we need to apply for a TRV extension as well or the implied status on the application mentioned in #2 is enough?

4. If #3 is yes, do we submit that separately from #2 or altogether?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Processing really varies from application to application. It can take anywhere from a few days to several months. It's not unusual for processing to take a few months. If you are instead asking about the length of her visit to Canada, 4-5 weeks is generally too long unless she has very strong ties to her home country and has extensive travel to countries requiring visas such as the US and UK. Ask for 2 or 3 weeks.
2. You can apply immediately.
3. You should apply for one extension as insurance just in case the inland application is returned.
4. Separately.

Rhaenys

Aug 3, 2015
If you are instead asking about the length of her visit to Canada, 4-5 weeks is generally too long unless she has very strong ties to her home country and has extensive travel to countries requiring visas such as the US and UK. Ask for 2 or 3 weeks.
Yea, i'm actually referring to the length of visit. I actually have her ask for a letter from her employer saying that they are letting her go on vacation for up to 5 weeks. Definitely no extensive travel history. I just made her go to Singapore to show some travel history. If those aren't convincing enough, I guess I have to make it 3 weeks then.

Follow up to extension, considering the employers' letter letting her go for up to 5 weeks, what valid reasons can we possibly come up for an extension?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yea, i'm actually referring to the length of visit. I actually have her ask for a letter from her employer saying that they are letting her go on vacation for up to 5 weeks. Definitely no extensive travel history. I just made her go to Singapore to show some travel history. If those aren't convincing enough, I guess I have to make it 3 weeks then.

Follow up to extension, considering the employers' letter letting her go for up to 5 weeks, what valid reasons can we possibly come up for an extension?
Don't worry about the extension. That's the easy part. Once she's in Canada and you're married, you can simply say you're requesting an extension since you're now married and applying for PR.

The hard part will be getting the TRV approved to begin with. Individuals with her profile (young, single) have high rate of refusal. There's a high chance you'll need to go and get married in her home country and then sponsor her outland.

Rhaenys

Aug 3, 2015
Thanks for the inputs. Another thing, would it make a huge difference if we book the airline tickets prior to the submission of the TRV application package?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the inputs. Another thing, would it make a huge difference if we book the airline tickets prior to the submission of the TRV application package?
Don't do that. It doesn't help the TRV and if the TRV is refused, you'll lose money on the flight.

Rhaenys

Aug 3, 2015
Thanks for all the help @scylla

My girlfriend just got approved for her TRV. Just a quick follow up question, do I apply for her OWP and Inland Spousal separately?

Rhaenys

Aug 3, 2015
Together.
Thanks!

Additional questions regarding the package.

In the form imm5533e #7 Proof of Relationship to Sponsor, where she would be living with me but I am living with my parents too.

• So I am unable to provide a proof of joint ownership
• Not able to provide rental agreement
• Joint utility accounts (bank/credit card) Can she open an account as a visitor?
• Vehicle insurance. *I have an insured car, can I add her even though she doesn't have an ON license?
• Can't provide a government issued documents showing the same address

What are my options if she's in her TRV?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks!

Additional questions regarding the package.

In the form imm5533e #7 Proof of Relationship to Sponsor, where she would be living with me but I am living with my parents too.

• So I am unable to provide a proof of joint ownership
• Not able to provide rental agreement
• Joint utility accounts (bank/credit card) Can she open an account as a visitor?
• Vehicle insurance. *I have an insured car, can I add her even though she doesn't have an ON license?
• Can't provide a government issued documents showing the same address

What are my options if she's in her TRV?
You may want to wait on the result of the TRV app before you start to plan on applying as if she is here.

Get a joint rental agreement from your parents. She can open an account as a visitor; you may have to search around, as some banks don't let visitors open accounts.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi canuck, I already mentioned in an earlier post that her TRV got approved. Thanks! I'll ask around.
Sorry, missed that post.

The advice doesn't change. Once she is here, get the rental agreement, the joint account etc.

Rhaenys

Aug 3, 2015
Hi,

Sorry to followup on this post. Just a quick question, so I sponsored my girlfriend and she was here already. She didn't get a stamp and visa expiring after 10 yrs, though it is written on her declaration that she will only stay for 18 days.

1. Is it safe to assume that she is allowed for 6 months to stay?
2. While she's still here, is it okay to sponsor my aunt, uncle and cousin to be invited on our wedding?
3. What's the recommended stay period for them? 1-2 weeks?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

Sorry to followup on this post. Just a quick question, so I sponsored my girlfriend and she was here already. She didn't get a stamp and visa expiring after 10 yrs, though it is written on her declaration that she will only stay for 18 days.

1. Is it safe to assume that she is allowed for 6 months to stay?
2. While she's still here, is it okay to sponsor my aunt, uncle and cousin to be invited on our wedding?
3. What's the recommended stay period for them? 1-2 weeks?
Hi

1. Yes.

2. You can invite your family.

3. 2 weeks is good.

Rhaenys

Aug 3, 2015
Hi,

Just some follow up questions to my earlier posts here.

1. Scylla mentioned that we can apply for PR immediately after marriage.
Aren't we supposed to wait for the official Ontario Marriage certificate which now has a 6-8 weeks waiting period?

1a. If yes, can we apply for extension now (her 6 months ends in 1st week of Jan. 2019) and mention that we're now married and applying for PR?
1b. If no, Can we just submit a copy of a signed marriage license and offician't marriage cert for PR app?

2. Is there a safe length for TRV extension?

3. We're planning a trip to the US soon, after the initial 6 months period. Assuming we get the extension, is her extension still in effect when we get back to Canada?