+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Girlfriend coming to visit, any tips on visas, etc?

ChampagneSupernova

Jan 5, 2012
Hello,

So I got a little question here, for which I cant seem to find a definite answer. I'm having my girlfriend coming over to visit from overseas, been to Europe together a few times with her (shes from there), but shes never been to Canada. First off, she'll be coming over to visit - no issues there, all is clear as day. Now, what if she was to stay? What are the options here? Is there a sponsorship kind of solution that would allow here to live here, work, study?

Any advice will be very welcome,

Thanks!

ashokcan

Apr 28, 2011
ChampagneSupernova said:
Hello,

So I got a little question here, for which I cant seem to find a definite answer. I'm having my girlfriend coming over to visit from overseas, been to Europe together a few times with her (shes from there), but shes never been to Canada. First off, she'll be coming over to visit - no issues there, all is clear as day. Now, what if she was to stay? What are the options here? Is there a sponsorship kind of solution that would allow here to live here, work, study?

Thanks!
Your girlfriend is coming, that's an exciting news ;D What's her nationality ? so i can tell you more : ; :D

Hauser

Jul 11, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ChampagneSupernova said:
Hello,

Thanks!
yes,,any things depend on nationality,but it is not clear to me - did she get visitor visa or not.
If yes,it opens many options : you can marry and apply inland,you can look for a sponsor and she can go back with LMO and apply,but the best solution is -spend some time together and if you see that it works,go back to Europe and get married there.

Hauser

Jul 11, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ChampagneSupernova said:
Hey guy,

She's Polish. From what we gather she fan visit for up to 3 months without any special visa. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I tried the very same thing.And I was rejected.

Hauser

Jul 11, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ChampagneSupernova said:
What do you mean?
it is very hard these days to convince the embassy that you will return when your visa expires

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If she has a biometric passport - then she can visit Canada without a visa. If she does not have a biometric passport, then she needs to apply for a visa. See:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

Tourists are typically allowed a six month visit.

If you want her to stay longer and are willing to sponsor her, then to qualify, you either need to be married or common law (have lived together for at least one full year). More details are in the first post in this thread:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html

ChampagneSupernova

Jan 5, 2012
scylla said:
If she has a biometric passport - then she can visit Canada without a visa. If she does not have a biometric passport, then she needs to apply for a visa. See:

Tourists are typically allowed a six month visit.

If you want her to stay longer and are willing to sponsor her, then to qualify, you either need to be married or common law (have lived together for at least one full year). More details are in the first post in this thread:
Yes, she does have a biometric passport. If I want her to stay, I really doubt that 'common law' option would apply to us, as we haven't been living together. And I understand that conjugal is not really an option either.. Say we were to marry, would it matter where we would to it? And any idea how long it would take for her to come over here afterwards?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ChampagneSupernova said:
Yes, she does have a biometric passport. If I want her to stay, I really doubt that 'common law' option would apply to us, as we haven't been living together. And I understand that conjugal is not really an option either.. Say we were to marry, would it matter where we would to it? And any idea how long it would take for her to come over here afterwards?

Thanks!
No - it doesn't matter where you marry. And yes - conjugal doesn't apply to you (this category is for people who cannot get married and cannot live together). Processing times for various applications are listed here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp

ChampagneSupernova

Jan 5, 2012
scylla said:
No - it doesn't matter where you marry. And yes - conjugal doesn't apply to you (this category is for people who cannot get married and cannot live together). Processing times for various applications are listed here:
Thanks for such a fast reply! So if I understand this right, it takes about 9 months? Another question, while that time is passing, can she still visit (only as a tourist I suppose)?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If she is "the one"...

Start gathering information for the PR application.
Have her visit Canada, when she is here...

Get married in Canada.
Finalise the PR application.
Pay for the PR application (outland - even though she is in Canada) and submit it ASAP.
Apply to extend her stay (just before she is due to leave Canada) - include a copy of the PR application receipt with the extension request.
Enjoy life together in Canada while waiting.
Eventually receive permanent resident status.
Live happily ever after :)

ChampagneSupernova

Jan 5, 2012
Baloo said:
Apply to extend her stay (just before she is due to leave Canada) - include a copy of the PR application receipt with the extension request.
Enjoy life together in Canada while waiting.
Would she still be considered a tourist at for that time? In other words, cant work or study here? Also, marriage is a big step, but from what I'm hearing its the only way she could stay here?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She would still be considered a tourist until her PR application is finalized. Tourists aren't allowed to study or work.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you're not ready to marry - she could take a look at the qualifications for skilled worker immigration to see if she might qualify to immigrate independently.

She could also come here temporarily as a student (she'll need a study visa). However be aware that foreign students pay substantially higher tuition fees than Canadians. In addition, to be accepted for a study visa, she will not only have to prove she has sufficient money to fund her studies and living expense - but also prove she has strong ties to her home country and no plans to remain in Canada long term.

She could also come here temporarily through a work visa. This is much easier said than done. First she would have to find an employer. That employer would then have to apply for a labour market option. As part of this process, the employer would have to prove that no Canadian could be found for the role. If the labour market opinion is approved (not all are), your girlfriend would then have to apply for a work permit. If the work permit is approve, she could then come to Canada to work.