+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Gifted money from a German to a Canadian

aa.chainsaw

Feb 7, 2020
I have an old friend I met years ago who is a German citizen who lived in Canada decades ago and is now back in Germany. He was planning on gifting me around 200k fro his Canandian bank account. I was wondering if either one of us would have to pay tax on this, and will the CRA come after me with questions? He has had the money in the Canadian bank account for well over a decade with an investment firm.
Curious what your thoughts were.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I have an old friend I met years ago who is a German citizen who lived in Canada decades ago and is now back in Germany. He was planning on gifting me around 200k fro his Canandian bank account. I was wondering if either one of us would have to pay tax on this, and will the CRA come after me with questions? He has had the money in the Canadian bank account for well over a decade with an investment firm.
Yes, you may certainly have issues with CRA. People really don't "gift" $200k to friends. It is more likely to be underground income, some sort of tax avoidance scheme or money laundering.

Reactions: torontosm

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
That sounds like a very, very fishy story that will certainly raise red flags at the CRA.

aa.chainsaw

Feb 7, 2020
Thanks for your responses.
The next part would be as I know it's not illegal money how does one prove from the CRA that it is just a gift?
He has had it in an investment firm for over 15 years, so the income statements for that money made well over a decade ago are long gone. Also if he were to give me 50, 100 or 200k as a gift, how can I prove it? With 50k would they still get all suspecious?
I have looked at many sites including the CRA and all seem to say no tax on gifts and nothing about limits.
Thanks,
Andrew

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your responses.
The next part would be as I know it's not illegal money how does one prove from the CRA that it is just a gift?
He has had it in an investment firm for over 15 years, so the income statements for that money made well over a decade ago are long gone. Also if he were to give me 50, 100 or 200k as a gift, how can I prove it? With 50k would they still get all suspecious?
I have looked at many sites including the CRA and all seem to say no tax on gifts and nothing about limits.
Thanks,
Andrew
I suggest you speak to an experienced accountant. People still don't "gift" friends with $50k. It is suspicious no matter what.