+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GIC questions with RBC Bank

utojamepark

Star Member
Apr 8, 2020
Hi I have contacted multiple banks (RBC, CIBC, Scotia etc) hoping to get my GIC sorted, I found that RBC is the only bank that doesn't require me (the applicant) to wire transfer the money from my own account (account under my name) in my home country while all others have clarified with me that 'the money has to come from an account under my name in my home country'.

I am from a country where foreign exchange is heavily restricted and I have used up all my quota for other purpose, so RBC is most likely my only choice here (by wire transferring from my parent's account). Has anyone tried wire transferring money from their parent's account and have any experience or insight to share?

Also, I was also told by RBC that I am not allowed to have an existing account with them prior to the application otherwise would result in rejection. Others (mainly CIBC, Scotia) told me that they aren't sure having an existing account would impact my GIC or not. it seems to me that there are inconsistency among the banks and each has its different rules i guess? I already have a scotia account from years ago when I visited Canada for tourism, so I am not sure whether I can choose them for my GIC.

cheers.

Last edited:

barbs_20

Star Member
Oct 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON-->RFI-->NDR-->VCM
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2014
Nomination.....
29-01-2015
AOR Received.
SLU 24.AUG.2015
IELTS Request
SENT WITH FILE
Med's Request
WAITING PATIENTLY
I don't have an answer yet but i think i will go with RBC, what about you?
Hi. did you successfully get the GIC with RBC? Thanks in advance