+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ghost updates - how do you know you got one?

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
Since the site outage a few days ago the search function isn’t working, hence why I’m asking instead of looking for previous posts about it.

I know what a ghost update is and how they work in the PR application process. Random emails that an update has been made, log in and you see no change.

is it the same in the citizenship application process?

just wondering.

anksyahoo

May 4, 2020
Since the site outage a few days ago the search function isn’t working, hence why I’m asking instead of looking for previous posts about it.

I know what a ghost update is and how they work in the PR application process. Random emails that an update has been made, log in and you see no change.

is it the same in the citizenship application process?

just wondering.
for citizenship applications, there is a date on top right of the tracker(which you create). This date is the date when the application was last updated/touched in the background by IRCC.
If there are new updates along with the date change, you will see "New updates" mentioned in the application and this is a new status change/update.
If you see just the date updated at the top right and no "New updates", this is what is called a ghost update and there is NO actual change/progress in any of the application steps.

Ghost update = Only the date change on top right and no respective change in application status.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
for citizenship applications, there is a date on top right of the tracker(which you create). This date is the date when the application was last updated/touched in the background by IRCC.
If there are new updates along with the date change, you will see "New updates" mentioned in the application and this is a new status change/update.
If you see just the date updated at the top right and no "New updates", this is what is called a ghost update and there is NO actual change/progress in any of the application steps.

Ghost update = Only the date change on top right and no respective change in application status.
Awesome description. Thank you.

Reactions: June1311

racineba

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017

I saw “new updates” on April 8 and the date on top was also changed to April 8 but nothing moved on my end.Any idea what this could mean?

Listi

Aug 13, 2023
I got gosht updated last augt 10, nothing new in progress, 6 month after i pass my test. This is getting frustrated now.

Listi

Aug 13, 2023
No, they did not ask anything.
Here my timeline
1.applied April 22
2. AOR may 22
3.Background completed Nov 22
4.citizenship test completed Feb 22

harith86

Dec 5, 2009
I just had ghost update today "October 27 2023".. is that an update for everyone due to system update? or someone is touching my file that triggered the date update?

Listi

Aug 13, 2023
I just had ghost update today "October 27 2023".. is that an update for everyone due to system update? or someone is touching my file that triggered the date update?
Same, me too,i just had ghost updated today, this is 2nd time since i passed my test.

alisaket

May 9, 2017
I got an update too for Oct 27.

Here is my timeline:

1.applied Jan 23 2023
2. AOR Feb 06 2023
3.Background completed March 15 2023
4.citizenship test completed March 31 2023