+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GF of 5 years wants to study in BC, but...

Kwz2

Jun 11, 2017
My girlfriend of 5 years would like to study in British Columbia, pursuing a PhD program that could take anywhere from 5-7 years to complete. We have both been to the area and would love to live there, however, there is one issue. I have just finished my bachelors degree and would like to pursue a career in law enforcement. To do so in Canada, I would have to be a permanent resident. I am 22, from the US, in good financial standing and have a job-related bachelors degree.

I am not sure if I qualify under Express Entry, as I have 2.5 years of part time work experience in the financial field. Is there any way of going about this that could make living in Canada work out for the both of us?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you are either common law or married, you can apply for an open work permit based on her study permit (common law means you have lived together continuously for at least one full year). This won't however allow you to work in a law enforcement job that required permanent residency or citizenship.

Reactions: Kwz2

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My girlfriend of 5 years would like to study in British Columbia, pursuing a PhD program that could take anywhere from 5-7 years to complete. We have both been to the area and would love to live there, however, there is one issue. I have just finished my bachelors degree and would like to pursue a career in law enforcement. To do so in Canada, I would have to be a permanent resident. I am 22, from the US, in good financial standing and have a job-related bachelors degree.

I am not sure if I qualify under Express Entry, as I have 2.5 years of part time work experience in the financial field. Is there any way of going about this that could make living in Canada work out for the both of us?
You need to look at the different economic immigration streams to see if you qualify. From what you have said, it sounds like you don't qualify at this time.

Reactions: Kwz2

Kwz2

Jun 11, 2017
If you are either common law or married, you can apply for an open work permit based on her study permit (common law means you have lived together continuously for at least one full year). This won't however allow you to work in a law enforcement job that required permanent residency or citizenship.
Is this the only option that would be available? Work permit but no permanent residency?

Kwz2

Jun 11, 2017
You need to look at the different economic immigration streams to see if you qualify. From what you have said, it sounds like you don't qualify at this time.
Would express entry be more possible if I had a few years of professional full-time work experience?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Would express entry be more possible if I had a few years of professional full-time work experience?
If you had at least a year of skilled work experience, you would be more likely to qualify.