+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting through Border Security Help

Djdj9037

Jan 25, 2017
Hi
Just wondering if I wanted to apply inland from Canada when I travelled there from Europe with my Canadian wife, would I need to ask for 6 months visitor visa from border guard in airport and tell him of my intent to apply inland while as a visitor.
Or since Ireland is a visa except country with ETA do I just get 6 months automatically? And apply inland during that time ?
Also we got married in ireland 3 weeks ago is irish marriage certificate fine for inland or does it need to be canadian?
Thanks a lot.

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
Hi there, you don't ask border officers for allowed time.. they give whatever they consider but it's usually the maximum. And you don't have to tell them that you intend to apply for PR. It has nothing to do with your entry, you enter as a visitor to visit the country, that's it. Then , if you want to apply, you apply.

In regard to the Irish marriage certificate of course it's valid per se, but I'm not sure if you have to validate it here or something like that, or maybe not. You can look on cic website or call the call centre.

Hope it helps !

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi
Just wondering if I wanted to apply inland from Canada when I travelled there from Europe with my Canadian wife, would I need to ask for 6 months visitor visa from border guard in airport and tell him of my intent to apply inland while as a visitor.
Or since Ireland is a visa except country with ETA do I just get 6 months automatically? And apply inland during that time ?
Also we got married in ireland 3 weeks ago is irish marriage certificate fine for inland or does it need to be canadian?
Thanks a lot.
Hi

Don't volunteer information to CBSA but if they specifically ask, don't lie. Tell them you will be visiting your spouse while applying for sponsorship. Have proof of funds and pay the full PR fees and have the receipt with you in case they ask. You will likely get the standard 6 months.

Djdj9037

Jan 25, 2017
Thank you both for helpful responses. We both feel better now that there hopefully won't be any problems at vancouver airport when we land in a month or so.
We were considering applying outland and staying here in Ireland for longer but it is no longer an option as my spouses visa for Ireland runs out soon and we both want to return to canada anyway. Plus with inland I can work on OWP too☺
Just wondering if anyone knows how long it takes for OWP to be approved after I send it off with spousal sponsorship application?
Cheers

Djdj9037

Jan 25, 2017
Thanks for reply.
Appreciate it, was also wondering if I should bother buying return ticket to Ireland for 6 months from date of arrival in Canada to show I will go back if sponsorship fails. Or is that a waste of money since if we get approved I won't be able to leave Canada for duration of inland application. Also do you know how long usually it takes for OWP to come through while applying for sponsorship application too.
Kind regards.
Hi

Don't volunteer information to CBSA but if they specifically ask, don't lie. Tell them you will be visiting your spouse while applying for sponsorship. Have proof of funds and pay the full PR fees and have the receipt with you in case they ask. You will likely get the standard 6 months.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks for reply.
Appreciate it, was also wondering if I should bother buying return ticket to Ireland for 6 months from date of arrival in Canada to show I will go back if sponsorship fails. Or is that a waste of money since if we get approved I won't be able to leave Canada for duration of inland application. Also do you know how long usually it takes for OWP to come through while applying for sponsorship application too.
Kind regards.
While it is usually recommended that you have a return ticket, in the case of a "dual intent" entry to Canada, it's probably not going to be needed. You may actually find that a return flight is a similar price to a one way ticket, or even cheaper. If so, get a return ticket.

About 4 months from the date of application.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for reply.
Kind regards.
You can purchase a separate fully refundable flight. We did this for my partner just in case but CBSA never even asked about it. Cancelled and got a refund the next day.