+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Temporary PR Card to travel back to Canada

JD3235

Feb 7, 2018
Hello, my pr card will expire as I travel outside of the country next week. I I live in Canada full time so i have no problems meeting the residency requirements. I applied for a renewal a couple months ago about still haven't received my card due to a backlog in Sidney. If I go ahead with my travels with an expired pr card, can I get the temporary pr card in the country (Japan) i am visiting expedited? I know it usually takes 10-30 days to process but i only plan on being in Japan for 1 week. I could potentially extend my trip for a few extra days. Basically I'm trying to decide if I should go on this trip or not. It would be great if i could but i also need to make sure I can return to Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's no such thing as a temporary PR card. What you need to apply for once you are outside of Canada is a PR Travel Document so that you can return to Canada. Unfortunately you can only apply for the PRTD once you are outside of Canada and there is no way to expedite it. It's possible the Travel Document may be processing in a week but also quite possible it could take quite a bit longer. Unfortunately it's impossible to say.

Another option would be to fly to the US on your return trip back to Canada and then re-enter Canada by land through a US/Canada land border using a private vehicle. If you do this, you won't need the Travel Document (although you may need a US visa).

JD3235

Feb 7, 2018
Thanks for that response Scylla. That is an option to fly directly to the US since I regularly travel there for work. Thus I do have a US work permit. Is that sufficient enough to get me back into Canada via private vehicle? I'm looking on this website, and it looks like I need some sort of proof of residency in Canada. http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html Obviously my PR card would've been one of them, but since it's expired, I'm not sure if anything else would suffice since I don't have Canadian citizenship. I do have a valid health card and driver's license from Ontario?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can use your COPR to re-enter Canada by land from the US.

JD3235

Feb 7, 2018
Thank you! So now that I know I will have to fly to the US from Japan, what should my reason of entry to the US be? I do have a work visa there but this obviously won't be a work trip. I'm literally going to go, then have my Canadian spouse drive across the border to pick me up at the airport. Should I be revealing that I am literally only going to the US to drive across the border because my PR card is expired? Or would they stop me from boarding my US bound flight because of this?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
You can use your COPR to re-enter Canada by land from the US.
Just the expired PR card is fine. I would actually advise against carrying the COPR around on travels, since it's a pretty important document.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thank you! So now that I know I will have to fly to the US from Japan, what should my reason of entry to the US be? I do have a work visa there but this obviously won't be a work trip. I'm literally going to go, then have my Canadian spouse drive across the border to pick me up at the airport. Should I be revealing that I am literally only going to the US to drive across the border because my PR card is expired? Or would they stop me from boarding my US bound flight because of this?
Tons of Canadians use US airports to fly, simply because it's cheaper than flights originating from Canada. You will not have any problem, just can tell them you are immediately going to Canada.

You shouldn't even need to tell the airline staff isuing your ticket any of this, as all they will care about is that you have valid status to enter the US.