+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting sponsored by girlfriend

jsdelisi

Jun 4, 2018
Hello!

So I am an american interested in moving to canada to live with my canadian girlfriend and after all my research I've come to the conclusion that she could sponsor me as a Conjugal Partner. However, what I'm wondering is after reading the sticky post on this forum -

"For example, if your partner could get a visit visa to come to Canada for 6 months and then apply for an extension to get the full year, even though they will not be allowed to work, that is not considered an immigration barrier. An immigration barrier is if your partner tries to get a visit visa to come to Canada and is repeatedly refused. Some people have had luck with the conjugal class but try to avoid it if possible."

I'm not keen on not helping make money while trying to live in Canada and this statement suggests I would have to... and for a while. Or even worse, spend thousands of dollars applying for a visit visa and refused multiple times.

Is there no way to be sponsored as a conjugal partner and be able to work fairly quickly? If not, is there any other way I may be able to get a work visa without having a degree?

Thank you for reading and for your time!
--JS

ama25

May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2016
AOR Received.
19-10-2016
Med's Done....
28-08-2016
Since you're American applying as a conjugal partner will be very difficult to be approved. Your best bet is up get married and apply Outland, or inland and send an open work permit with your application which is approved within 4 months. How long have you together for?

Reactions: jsdelisi

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
No US citizen will ever be approved for a conjugal app, since there are zero barriers to marriage or common-law.

You need to find a way to become common-law (can live in US or Canada or mix of both to do it), or get married. Those are your only 2 options.

Also US citizens do no need a visa to visit Canada. You simply show up at the border and typically you are allowed entry for 6 months. Can then apply to extend that when the 6 months is almost up, or simply leave/re-enter Canada again to get a fresh 6 months.

You should really question why you aren't getting married either. If you don't feel you are ready for marriage, then most likely you are not in a conjugal relationship yet anyways.

jsdelisi

Jun 4, 2018
Since you're American applying as a conjugal partner will be very difficult to be approved. Your best bet is up get married and apply Outland, or inland and send an open work permit with your application which is approved within 4 months. How long have you together for?
Thank you so much for your reply!

We have only been together a short time - three months - I know that I wouldn't even be able to *start* an application process until we've been together for a year. However, I'm just trying to get all the info I can now and prepare. So we won't be making any moves towards this goal until next year at the earliest.

While marrige is certainly not out of the question, we'd rather avoid doing that if at all possible.

jsdelisi

Jun 4, 2018
No US citizen will ever be approved for a conjugal app, since there are zero barriers to marriage or common-law.

You need to find a way to become common-law (can live in US or Canada or mix of both to do it), or get married. Those are your only 2 options.

Also US citizens do no need a visa to visit Canada. You simply show up at the border and typically you are allowed entry for 6 months. Can then apply to extend that when the 6 months is almost up, or simply leave/re-enter Canada again to get a fresh 6 months.

You should really question why you aren't getting married either. If you don't feel you are ready for marriage, then most likely you are not in a conjugal relationship yet anyways.
I truly appreciate the insight, thank you!

ama25

May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2016
AOR Received.
19-10-2016
Med's Done....
28-08-2016

We have only been together a short time - three months - I know that I wouldn't even be able to *start* an application process until we've been together for a year. However, I'm just trying to get all the info I can now and prepare. So we won't be making any moves towards this goal until next year at the earliest.

While marrige is certainly not out of the question, we'd rather avoid doing that if at all possible.
The only other way would be is for you to be here and after a year apy as a common law.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

If you don't want to marry, then you need one year of continuous cohabitation to become common-law. As said above, zero chance of conjugal.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
And you should have a talk with your gf when you guys are ready for the sponsorship. She will be responsible for you 3 years down the road after your PR is approved. She will need to pay back to the government if you ever claim social assistant.

So it's a big commitment. Not as big as a marriage (life time) but still pretty big.

If you are within the age for young professional or Working Holidays visa, may be you can get a working visa and stay in Canada to establish your common law relationship.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp

Last edited:

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

Even when you've been together as a couple for 1 year, there is still nothing you can do to start any application. Again you need to forget about conjugal, and just pretend you never heard about it since the category can't be used by US citizens.

The only 1 year criteria you can use, is if you start living together then after 1 continuous year you will be common-law and she can then sponsor you for PR.