+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Spanish police certificates from Canada

ERicardo

Feb 23, 2021
Hello there,

I am stuck in this point, besides the indications that the Ministry of Justice gives on its website. I am not sure about the pre-paid envelope that they mentioned, also, according to the process, once the certificate has been issued by the Ministry of Justice and legalized by the Ministry of Exterior Affairs in Spain, how they send it back?, and also I read unofficial information that there is a third step ( the legalized certificate is sent to the Canadain consulate in Spain for verification?????). on top of that, the Ministry of Justice states that they are not responsible for any lost during the process¡¡¡¡.
I have contacted the Ministry of Justice several times to get the right path; however, those people give a different version every time and they do not about the delivery process from one institution to another and the back to here ( Toronto)
I really need help, Please if someone is familiar with the right process and info would be really appreciated.

CadJohn

Star Member
May 21, 2019
Hello Ricardo,

Good luck with Canadian consulate in Spain for verification. Hopefully, nothing will be lost in the process. Maybe try again to call for information on the phone. Hopefully, the phone hold time is not too long for you.

More Info Here: Canada Immigration Policies Under Covid-19

The Coronavirus Covid-19 Pandemic has really severely disrupted the Canada immigration system since restrictions (because of virus) were first introduced in March 2020.

Canada has certainly restricted international travel and closed the Canada-USA border. Most of the restriction measures are likely to stay far into the year 2021.

https://www.canadaforums.ca/2020/12/canada-immigration-policies-under-covid.html

dreamercec

Jan 30, 2021
the Canadian website will tell you if they require all this mess for them to be considered

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/apply-permanent-residence/police-certificates.html

If they do not require that type of validation, you do not need to. It is the same for electronic police certificates from Germany, Italy, Sweden,Portigal, etc.

Spanish authorities say you need to make this process because this is how they recognize documents from Canada. However, for Canada to recognize foreign documents, they do not follow foreign rules...obviously.

In short, if in the Canadian website for police certificates is not asking to validate it, its up to you....

You can check other countries that also provide electronic police certificates.

pecanada2019

May 16, 2019
Hi Ricardo,
I just went through this process today!
I called this morning to Ministerio de Justicia: 902007214 and also sent an email to informacion.consular@maec.es and both gave me the same following steps:

1.- You should download your CAP (Certificado Antecedentes Penales) from this link (with your clave de firma and paying 3.82 euros. Make sure that you are making the payment when the banks in Spain are operative. You also don´t need to check Apostilla de la Haya, as Canada is not part of it). You can download the certificate after the payment or in case you already asked for it in the past you may wait some days, in that case, they will send you an email notifying).

2.- Once you have your certificate you should send it certified to Legalización en el Ministerio de Justicia (Calle La Bolsa, 8. 28012 Madrid) with an envelope prepaid to be sent to your address and include this Modelo de Solicitud de legalizaciones y apostillas.

3.- After receiving your certificate from Ministerio de Justicia (point 2.-) you should send it to Legalización en el Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores
Por Correo Certificado (Postal Express 48 horas):
.- un sobre dirigido al Servicio de Legalizaciones del Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores, Unión Europea y Cooperación (calle Pechuán nº 1, 28002 Madrid).
.- otro sobre prepagado para el retorno con la dirección del destinatario y teléfono de contacto.
Es imprescindible cumplir con este requisito para la presentación de legalizaciones por correo certificado.
Este Ministerio no se responsabiliza del extravío de documentos enCorreos o si no se cumplen estas condiciones.

4.- Legalización en la Embajada de Canadá en España. In your case I think this step is not necessary .

Here is the email that informacion.consular@maec.es sent this morning:
Buenos días,
Le indicamos cómo legalizar un C.A.P. de España para que sea válido en Canadá. Los pasos serían los siguientes (cadena de reconocimiento de firmas):
1.- Legalización en el Ministerio de Justicia (Calle La Bolsa, 8)
2.- Legalización en el Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores (Calle Pechuán 1)
3.- Legalización en la Embajada de Canadá en España.
La legalización en Justicia y con nosotros (Exteriores) es gratuita. Se puede hacer de forma presencial (con cita previa) o por correo postal (esta opción con nosotros no es muy efectiva, tenemos una demora de mes y medio). Si tiene problemas con la obtención de cita, háganoslo saber y le ayudamos).
Cualquier duda, estamos a disposición.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ricardo, I hope this info will help you.
I will be happy to answer if you have further questions.

Regards!

nicolesmith

Sep 22, 2020
Hi Ricardo,
I just went through this process today!
I called this morning to Ministerio de Justicia: 902007214 and also sent an email to informacion.consular@maec.es and both gave me the same following steps:

1.- You should download your CAP (Certificado Antecedentes Penales) from this link (with your clave de firma and paying 3.82 euros. Make sure that you are making the payment when the banks in Spain are operative. You also don´t need to check Apostilla de la Haya, as Canada is not part of it). You can download the certificate after the payment or in case you already asked for it in the past you may wait some days, in that case, they will send you an email notifying).

2.- Once you have your certificate you should send it certified to Legalización en el Ministerio de Justicia (Calle La Bolsa, 8. 28012 Madrid) with an envelope prepaid to be sent to your address and include this Modelo de Solicitud de legalizaciones y apostillas.

3.- After receiving your certificate from Ministerio de Justicia (point 2.-) you should send it to Legalización en el Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores
Por Correo Certificado (Postal Express 48 horas):
.- un sobre dirigido al Servicio de Legalizaciones del Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores, Unión Europea y Cooperación (calle Pechuán nº 1, 28002 Madrid).
.- otro sobre prepagado para el retorno con la dirección del destinatario y teléfono de contacto.
Es imprescindible cumplir con este requisito para la presentación de legalizaciones por correo certificado.
Este Ministerio no se responsabiliza del extravío de documentos enCorreos o si no se cumplen estas condiciones.

4.- Legalización en la Embajada de Canadá en España. In your case I think this step is not necessary .

Here is the email that informacion.consular@maec.es sent this morning:
Buenos días,
Le indicamos cómo legalizar un C.A.P. de España para que sea válido en Canadá. Los pasos serían los siguientes (cadena de reconocimiento de firmas):
1.- Legalización en el Ministerio de Justicia (Calle La Bolsa, 8)
2.- Legalización en el Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores (Calle Pechuán 1)
3.- Legalización en la Embajada de Canadá en España.
La legalización en Justicia y con nosotros (Exteriores) es gratuita. Se puede hacer de forma presencial (con cita previa) o por correo postal (esta opción con nosotros no es muy efectiva, tenemos una demora de mes y medio). Si tiene problemas con la obtención de cita, háganoslo saber y le ayudamos).
Cualquier duda, estamos a disposición.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ricardo, I hope this info will help you.
I will be happy to answer if you have further questions.

Regards!
Good night. I was having the same doubts recently. After research for a long time, I saw that there were people who did these whole process and managed the PR without problems. But, in the same way, people who did not do any of this, just followed what is written on the IRCC website, also got PR without any problem. In addition, I asked some experts, who also advised me to do just what the immigration website says. In short, I opted for follow the immigration website.

CadJohn

Star Member
May 21, 2019
Spain is preparing for British tourism return this summer as it eyes vaccine certificates.

Spain hopes to welcome back British tourists this summer, the country’s tourism secretary of state said.

Fernando Valdes said Spain was canvassing the European Union and the Organisation for Economically Developed Countries to agree to a system of vaccine passports to increase tourists’ mobility.

Spain will not bar tourists if they do not have proof they have been inoculated, he stressed, saying they would be part of a series of measures to allow British holidaymakers to return to the costas.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/spain-tourism-british-summer-holiday-vaccine-b1806866.html