+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

getting SIN through friend in Canada

Nick J

Aug 17, 2017
could not go to get SIN when I did first entry n stayed couple of days. Now I'm unable to travel back before tax deadline fo 30th April so instead of sending SIN application by mail with original docs. is there option to sent those docs to friend instead and he goes in person to get SIN? is there any extra form or doc. friend needs to carry to apply on my behalf?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Last edited:

Nick J

Aug 17, 2017
thanks for your reply...ya so if not parent or legal gaurdian others cannot apply by going to their nearest service canada office on our behalf?

taxes I read somehwere or CRA site even if you are part year resident and has no Canada income still he/she has to file for his world income for that part of year he became Canada PR? or could you share some link please?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
thanks for your reply...ya so if not parent or legal gaurdian others cannot apply by going to their nearest service canada office on our behalf?

taxes I read somehwere or CRA site even if you are part year resident and has no Canada income still he/she has to file for his world income for that part of year he became Canada PR? or could you share some link please?
Read this -> https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/information-been-moved/determining-your-residency-status.html

Typically you need to spend more than 183 days and/or have strong residual ties in Canada to be deemed a tax resident.